SportsDokita (Odogwu ☝️) Profile picture
May 5, 2023 23 tweets 11 min read Read on X
“15 MINUTES”
(The Guy On Green)

- He lost his mother at a young age

- His father lost his job 3 months after he lost his wife

- He sold pure water on the streets of Lagos

- He was rejected by many clubs but today is one of BEST players in the world and it started with 15… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… Image
He was barely 13 when he lost his mum and as if that wasn't enough, 3months after losing his mum,his father lost his job.

His father losing his job meant them moving from a 2 bedroom flat to a SELF CONTAIN, now imagine 8 people living in a self contain apartment.

A TOUGH START!
He was the last amongst 7 kids but he didn’t get the special treatment given to “Last Borns” in Nigerian homes.

He rather joined his elder siblings in hustling to make sure they survived, he hawked “Pure water” along Ojota road, Lagos State.

A BORN HUSTLER! Image
His siblings sold newspapers & sold oranges on the street, it was a family united in making sure they survived.

He lived in one of Lagos state’s biggest refuse dump sites in Olusosun but that didn't stop the young boy from dreaming, in fact he dreamt big!

DREAM BIG, IT’S FREE! Image
His father wanted him to become a doctor but he dropped out of school to pursue his dream of becoming a footballer and his father supported him.

He played street football and was a youth player of the then Ultimate Strikers Academy, but he never played.

PERSONALIZE YOUR DREAM! Image
In 2014 at age 16 he went for the Nigeria Under-17 team screening held in Abuja by coach Amuneke.

More than 2million players were in the Abuja stadium and they were both given 15 MINUTES to impress.

In 15 MINUTES he scored 2 goals!

“LUCK IS WHEN OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION” Image
It wasn’t enough as the tired Amuneke sent him and the others away.

But as they left, he heard Nigeria team doctor telling the coach Amuneke to try out "The guy on green"

Coach Amuneke turned and called out "The guy on green!!!", he turned because he wore green, ran back and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… Image
And that was how he got selected into the Under-17 WC team, he later went on to win the following;

• 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup
• 2015 FIFA U-17 Golden Boot (Highest Goal Scorer)
• 2015 FIFA Silver shoe award (Second Best Player)

Then the European bigs clubs came calling.

THE… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… Image
On January 5th 2017 he signed for the German club, Wolfsburg and was supposed to start living the life right, but it got tougher for him.

The coach that brought him to Germany got sacked and he got injured on his right knee and had to be operated 3 different times.

A TALE OF… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… Image
After surgery, he started training to get fit, while training he had a shoulder injury that needed another surgery.

After surgery he came back to Nigeria to be with his family and get fitter before returning to Germany. He got better and even went to church for thanksgiving… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… Image
He was about to travel back to Germany, he had his bags packed when he woke and found himself in a hospital bed in Lagos.

Wolfsburg thought he didn't want to come back for pre-season and asked for doctors report and pictures which he did.

He was diagnosed of malaria and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
ZULTE WAREGEM in Belgium wanted him on loan, so he went to train with them, they tested him and found out he still had malaria but the coach told him to keep training.

For 3wks he trained, scored goals in training and the coach promised him, the club would sign him. Image
Finally an escape route but on the eve to the day he would be signed, his agent was called and told he wasn't needed again.

He went to Wolfsburg who relegated him to the Under-19 team to train so he could be fit to be loaned out later.

Whilst training, another club called. Image
It was the Belgian Champions CLUB BRUGGE, He was happy, went to Belgium where he passed his medicals and the team doctor told him it's left for the club president to make the move official.

The deal was never made official as Club President turned down the deal.
He was broken!! Image
He went back to Germany where he would wake up by 4am to cry, he told his agent not to worry about any transfer again so as to allow him stay and fight for his place in Germany.

On a Wednesday morning, 5days to the closure of the European transfer market, he got another call. Image
It was a call from another Belgian Club, this time CHARLEROI FC, a voice introduced himself as the Club president and told him "Can you come to Charleroi, I want to sign you"

He left for Belgian on road with his agent and they spent 7hours, when he got to Belgian...HE GOT SIGNED Image
For a player that hasn't scored a goal in 2yrs of turning pro. He scored 20goals in 36 app for the club and later left to join French Club Lille.

He went to France and scored 18goals making him a fan favorite among the Lille faithful but that was just the start of his story. Image
Italian giants, Napoli FC broke their transfer record to make him the most expensive African player when they paid Lille $96M (N39.7Billion).

And just yesterday he led Napoli to their first Serie A title in 33 years breaking all sorts of records along the way.

He’s now the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… ImageImage
John Ogu called him a beast with a lion’s heart.

Odion Ighalo called him the crown Prince to the throne of Nigerian attackers.

He is one the hottest top prospects in world football at the moment

He is VICTOR JAMES OSIMHEN!!!

Now watch a fully packed stadium celebrate and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Now he is no longer “The guy on green”, he is no longer the guy that lived on a refuse dump and hawked table water, we know his name!!!

He is Victor James Osimhen, one of the best strikers in world football.

His poor background made him dream!!!
His challenges toughened him!!! Image
Your background is not meant to put you on the ground, it should be a stepping stone.

Your challenges shouldn't stop you, it should toughen and motivate you to come out better.

Your Dreams Are Valid!!!
Don't Ever Give Up On Yourself!!!
Don't Ever Give Up On Your Dreams!!! Image
For more threads like this one, search using #OdogwuTales, they're plenty, and click on the FOLLOW button for there is more to come.

Have A Fun Filled Friday 😎😎😎
Disclaimer: Please the first two pictures in this thread were used for ILLUSTRATION only, they’re not Victor Osimhen.

Thanks.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with SportsDokita (Odogwu ☝️)

SportsDokita (Odogwu ☝️) Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Sports_Doctor2

May 23
“MOLA”
(The Stubborn Football Journey Man)

The name on everyone's lips since yesterday night is “Ademola Lookman” and to many the journey to stardom started in southeast London, Peckham but that's not true.

This is another Naija “Japa Story” when Ademola Lookman's parents who were both Nigerians decided to leave the shores of Nigeria for greener pastures, and at this time, Lookman had two older sisters who were born in Nigeria as he was the only one born in Peckham, London.

Everyone has a story, let's tell Ademola Lookman’s Story.

#OdogwuTalesImage
His father and one of his sisters were in Nigeria while he, one of his sisters, and his mum were in London.

His mum had to do all sorts of jobs, cleaning jobs, diner lady jobs, and anything she could get her hands on to put food on the table and clothes over Ademola and his sister but that wasn't even enough.

There were times when they didn't have food at home and Ademola would eat at his friend's place before coming home because he didn't want to ask his mother for food knowing how hard she was working.

“JUST TRY YOUR BEST, THAT’S ALL THAT MATTERS”
Ademola’s parents wanted Ademola to have a professional career just like most African parents.

Ademola told his parents he wanted to be an accountant but deep down he knew he just wanted to play football professionally, but he still wrote and aced his GCSE scoring 5As, 4 Bs and 1 C.

His desire to become a footballer heightened when he lost a teammate, in the amateur football team he was playing at, Waterloo FC.

Josh was only 14. Josh came to training with a swollen knee and the following week, died of a blood clot, and the death of Josh brought the team together and they swore they would try their best to make it in football for him.

“FIND STRENGTH IN YOUR PAIN”Image
Read 12 tweets
May 18
“ACL WAHALA”
(Should I Do Surgery Or Not?)

Now ACL injury is the COMMONEST knee injury seen in individuals not just athletes and it’s one you simply can’t just stamp your feet on the floor twice and it’s gone.

Now, Sven Botman had a partial ACL tear and he was advised to go for surgery which isn’t a must(I will explain further) but he choose rehab and after a few months of rehab, came back and tore it completely, this time requiring surgery.

So What Went Wrong?Image
Now the ACL is a tough, flexible band that connects the thigh bone(femur) to the shinbone(tibia).

Athletes who participate in high demand sports like football, basketball and soccer are more likely to injure their ACL.

ACL injuries can come in two forms, one a SPRAIN and the other a TEAR, and they come in different grades and this is what would determine if you would have just rehabilitation or surgery.Image
Now we’ve seen situations where players injure their ACL and still walk out on their own and situations where they injure the ACL and have to be carried out, that’s where the SEVERITY/GRADES of the ACL injuries come in.

• Grades Of ACL Injury;
- Grade 1: The ligament is slightly stretched but still able to keep the joint in place.

- Grade 2: This is often referred to as the partial tear of the ACL ligament, because it’s not completely torn.

- Grade 3: This is often referred to as the complete tear of the ACL ligament with the ligament torn in halfImage
Read 7 tweets
May 9
“MKPEBI”
(Disability Is Just Different Ability)

He wasn't born crippled but suffered paralysis of both legs after an illness and treatment that left him paralyzed from the waist down and left him bound to a wheelchair.

Even though he was crippled, he never wanted anyone to pity him because he believed disability was just a thing of the mind.

“DON’T LET THE MIND LIMIT WHAT AN ABLE HEART CAN DO.”Image
He was constantly reminded of his condition by people and coming from a very poor background didn't help either but he found solace in music.

He always wanted to do music full-time because he believed he had the gift of music but it was hard and close to impossible because there were no funds or backing from anyone to help him.

In the midst of these uncertainties, he would sing either to God or to himself to console and encourage himself.

“ENCOURAGE YOURSELF!!!”
One of his uncles saw his singing potential and decided to help him achieve his dream.

The uncle started doing odd jobs to raise enough money to take him to the studio to record his first song and after that, the money finished.

He became a studio rat, watching people come to record as they allowed him to just hang around.

“P-PERSIST
U-UNTIL
S-SOMETHING
H-HAPPENS”
Read 8 tweets
Apr 6
“THE ANTELOPE”
(A Leap Of Faith)

She was the last born and only girl in a family of 9 and lived with her family in her village, Ahiazu-Mbaise in Imo State.

She was barely 13 when she saw 3 police officers walking toward her, they asked her to come and she got scared and ran for her life.

It was that “Race For Her Life” that changed her life.

#OdogwuTales
#MTNChamps2
#MTNChampsIbadanImage
The police officers later caught up with her and told her, their boss wanted to speak with her.

They took her to their Police boss who was expecting to see a grown-up and asked, “Where is the antelope?”

The officers pointed to her explaining, that she was a fast runner so the villagers gave her the nickname, “The Antelope”.

The Police Boss explained to her that the Police wanted her to represent them in the ongoing “Police Games” as an athlete.Image
The Police Officer offered her N200 which she turned down because she knew her mum would beat her if she took money from a stranger.

The Police Boss took the money back, made it up to N500, and gave it to one of the officers to go home with her and explain to her mum, that it was this event that changed her life.
Read 11 tweets
Feb 19
“AWONIYI”
(The Boy Who Dared To Dream)

Taiwo Awoniyi’s story started in the industrial City of Ilorin, Kwara State in a family of 6 kids.

Taiwo’s father was a prison officer whose salary was barely enough to feed his family but it never stopped him from sending 6 of them to school.

He would borrow money just to pay their fees because he believed education was their way out of hardship but God had other plans.

“GOD ALWAYS HAS A PLAN, TRUST IT”
#OdogwuTalesImage
His father wanted him to read medicine and become a doctor but young Taiwo fell in love with the round leather game and only wanted to play football.

His mother noticed his love for football and bought him his first ball, a ball commonly called “Felele”.

His father was still insistent on him going to school but after a while, they came to an agreement which is “Do well in school then you play, any term he fails, no football”

“FOLLOW YOUR PASSION”Image
It still wasn't easy, Taiwo had to trek for over an hour to get to training when he joined his first academy, Unicorn Academy.

He needed to buy football boots as he couldn't play barefoot in the academy and couldn't ask his parents for money as he knew they were struggling so he decided to work.

He worked in the bakery, and construction site as a bricklayer just to make enough money to buy his first football boots.

“BE PREPARED TO WORK HARD AND SACRIFICE, DON’T LET ANYONE LIMIT YOUR DREAMS.”Image
Read 15 tweets
Feb 9
“JUST WAIT”
(Delay Is Not Denial)

For 3years I was denied admission to study medicine and this wasn't a result of my score, one of the years I was the highest in JAMB for those that applied for medicine, but still nothing.

I was heartbroken, my friends had gotten admission and it looked like I was the only one left, that was when my youngest sister, Laurel did something that shocked me.

She was still in Junior Secondary then, so you can imagine her age.

#OdogwuTalesImage
She came home from school and bought me an artwork that had the inscription “Delay Is Not Denial” and told me, “Brother don't worry”.

There are times you want to stand firm as a man and not shed tears but certain actions just break you wide open, yeah, this was one.

I sobbed like a kid, thanked her, and hung the artwork on my wall as a daily reminder that “Delay Is Not Denial”.Image
I later got admission and I'm now a doctor, thank God but what about my sister?

Laurel was one of the smartest girls in her class, from her primary school days in Living Word to ASTEC to FGC, she was always topping her class.

She smashed both her WAEC, JAMB, and PUME in one sitting but just like me, she didn't get any admission.Image
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(