Aaron Rupar Profile picture
May 10, 2023 41 tweets 11 min read Read on X
My thread about Trump's CNN town hall starts here Image
If you appreciate this thread or others I put together covering big US political events, please support my work by subscribing to my newsletter. I think you'll like it and paid subscriptions keep me going. publicnotice.co/subscribe
JD Vance on CNN dismisses Trump being found liable for sexual abuse and defamation as part of an effort "to destroy this guy through the legal process. Pressed on if he believes E Jean Carroll, Vance says "it's a he said, she said situation"
CNN is basically Trump TV tonight Image
"No questions are off the table, and we agreed to no conditions" -- Kaitlan Collins
Trump gets a big round of applause as he walks on the stage
Trump pushes the big lie during his very first response. Kaitlan Collins interjects that "it was not a rigged election." Trump responds by lying some more.
Kaitlan Collins to Trump: "Republican officials debunked those claims about fraudulent ballots"
"You have an agenda" -- Trump to Kaitlan Collins as she tries to debunk his lies about the 2020 election
"A lot of the people here probably were there ... it was a beautiful day" -- Trump on January 6
Elon Musk hardest hit
"I'm very proud of that video ... it's a beautiful video" -- Trump on his January 6 video in which he professed love for his insurrectionists
Trump calls the cop who shot Ashli Babbitt a "thug"
Trump gets a round of applause after he says Pence should've done more on January 6 to help him overturn his election loss
Trump says he intends to pardon "many" of the January 6 rioters
Trump doesn't close the door on pardoning the Proud Boys who were convicted of seditious conspiracy
the CNN town hall audience laughs as Trump smears E Jean Carroll
Trump swears on his children that he didn't assault E Jean Carroll
"Women let you" -- Trump defends his comments about the Access Hollywood tape from his deposition
Kaitlan Collins has pretty much given up on fact-checking Trump's lies. In fairness it's hard to fact-check this blizzard of falsehoods, which is the problem with giving Trump an open mic in the first place.
"We might as well do it now" -- Trump endorses a US debt default
Let me work in another plug for my newsletter. If you appreciate this thread and would like to support my work, please subscribe. publicnotice.co/subscribe
Trump: "We have a very big mental health problem in this country. And again, it's not the gun that pulls the trigger, it's the person that pulls the trigger."
Asked if he would support any new gun control policies at all, Trump says he would "very much harden" schools and again pushes the idea of arming teachers (so no, he doesn't)
Trump: "Getting rid of Roe v Wade was an incredible thing for pro-life"
Kaitlan Collins lets Trump slide when he lies about Democrats supporting the murder of born babies. Trump then refuses to answer a question about if he would sign a federal abortion ban, but indicates he's open to it.
"I did finish the wall" -- Trump

(Republicans will vote tomorrow on legislation that would resume construction on the wall, so ...)
Trump defends his family separation policy. Kaitlan Collins lets him get away with blaming the policy on Obama.
Trump indicates he is opposed to more military aid to Ukraine
CNN's town hall audience cheers when Trump brings up his first impeachment
COLLINS: Do you want Ukraine to win this war?

TRUMP: I don't think in terms of winning and losing
"He made a tremendous mistake" -- Trump on Putin
It's kinda jarring to watch Trump be treated as a normal presidential candidate minutes after he goaded a studio audience into jeering a woman who successfully sued him for sexual assault
"I took what I took" -- Trump on classified documents
"Not that I can think of" -- Trump doesn't exactly deny showing classified documents to other people
"You're a nasty person" -- Trump to Kaitlan Collins (the audience cheers)
Trump denies still having classified documents in his possession -- but in the next breath claims (falsely) that if he did, they would automatically he declassified
COLLINS: You asked him to find you votes

TRUMP: I didn't ask him to find anything

COLLINS: We've heard the audio
Trump says he'll accept the results of the 2024 election "if I think it's an honest election." And that's the end of the CNN town hall.
Jake Tapper: "The falsehoods kept coming fast and furious" (this is the issue with doing this sort of event with Trump!)
Whew. That Trump CNN town hall was a lot. If you appreciate the thread I put together breaking it down for you, please support my work by subscribing to my newsletter. I think you'll enjoy it and paid subs keep me going. Thx! publicnotice.co/subscribe

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Aaron Rupar

Aaron Rupar Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @atrupar

Oct 18
Trump on Fox & Friends this morning admitted that "a couple people from Fox" wrote his material for the Al Smith dinner
Trump claims on Fox & Friends that Eric Adams was indicted because "he came out against the immigrants," then adds of Adams's indictment, "I don't know if it's legit. I haven't looked at it."
Trump on Fox & Friends on Harris: "I don't think she knows where she is. She's a low IQ person. She's not smart ... I am the most stable human being. Remember they said a stable genius? ... we had four years of greatness."
Read 16 tweets
Oct 17
I'm going to do a thread on Mark Cuban campaigning with Kamala Harris in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Follow along for clips and commentary.
Mark Cuban: "You know, in my career I've learned a lot about business, including how tariffs work ... this is the same guy who also thought Mexico would pay for the wall."
"I don't know what happened to him" -- Cuban highlights Trump's decline from the 1990s to today
Read 14 tweets
Oct 16
I'm going to put together a thread covering Kamala Harris's Fox News interview with Bret Baier. Follow along for clips and commentary. Image
Baier's first question to Kamala Harris presses her on undocumented immigration. Baier barely lets her get a word in.
Baier is really going for blood here. Harris does a nice job standing her ground.
Read 15 tweets
Oct 16
Kamala Harris: "I am joined today by over 100 Republican leaders from across Pennsylvania and across our country who are supporting me candidacy, and I am deeply honored to have their support ... we are here today because we share a core belief: we must put country over party."
Harris: "We know the Constitution is not a relic from our past, but determines whether we are a country where the people can speak freely and even criticize POTUS without fear of being thrown in jail or targeted by the military."
Harris points out that Trump violated his oath to the US and adds, "Donald Trump lost the 2020 election."
Read 9 tweets
Oct 16
I am going to put together a thread covering Trump's "women's issues" Fox News town hall with Harris Faulkner. Follow along for clips and commentary. Image
Let me note up top that if you appreciate me watching Trump so you don't have to, please support what I do by signing up for my newsletter. I think you'll enjoy Public Notice and paid subscribers make my work possible. publicnotice.co/subscribe
Lol not exactly an undecided group of women here
Read 29 tweets
Oct 16
I am going to put together a thread covering Trump's rally in Atlanta. Follow along for clips and commentary. Image
Let me note up top that if you appreciate me watching Trump so you don't have to, please support what I do by signing up for my newsletter. You'll like Public Notice and paid subscribers make my work possible. publicnotice.co/subscribe
a look at Trump's crowd tonight
Read 24 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(