Dr Obbs Profile picture
May 25, 2023 10 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Ok so I had questions like many about the legality of the new @MercedesAMGF1 #W14b spec floor winglet. With the help of some friends, I did a bit of digging into the regulations to understand this better. A 🧵@Formula_Nerds @AlbertFabrega Photo by Auto Motor Und Sport
The regulation boxes are sometimes super confusing so it's best to start with an overview of them. The below link is a good place to start to understand the regulation boxes where engineers can design within. Each reg box is controlled differently. 🧵racecar-engineering.com/articles/tech-…
So after looking at the reg boxes, these aero features can only be in these potential volumes, Front Chassis, Mid Chassis, Floor body, Floor fence, or Rear Body Work Sidepod. So now lets eliminate them 1 by 1. First it can't be fence, because these aren't floor fences 🧵 Image
It can't be floor body, because surely they have maximized the regulation volume for the floor and did not sacrifice this critical area for a few flick-ups. And the canard is no way in this volume. So what about RBW SidePod? 🧵 Image
Looking at the regulations, it would have to be pretty far outboard to be in the sidepod volume, and this is a heavily regulated region as well. Heavy radius regulations that these would violate. So couldn't be this. 🧵 ImageImage
Only thing left is the Front and Mid chassis volumes. Looking in Issue 6 of the 2023 technical regulations, you can see there are some convexity and concavity controls in the forward chassis, but in the mid? Virtually nothing! It just has to fit in the reg box! ImageImage
So asking around, it seems that this is the same regulation box that is allowing teams to use winglets around the cockpit to manage cockpit losses. So pretty much anything is fair game as long as it fits in the regulation box. So how do these on the Merc fit? 🧵 Image
Well, if you were to sacrifice a bit of your chassis front and mid volumes to create a slim no-pod type design, then you would be left with some volume to create canards and winglets! It's an open reg box to include these features, and this is how I believe these are legal. 🧵 Image
The only downside, is that you can't extend these further out and away from the body towards the floor edge. You can see this when you observe just how close the winglet is to the chassis bodywork. 🧵 Image
So according to my review, this new winglet, like the canard, is legal. How much they help, is unknown to anyone who doesn't have the CFD. But there must be some gains for them to have them there. Thanks to my "nameless" helpers, and I hope you enjoyed this explainer thread! Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr Obbs

Dr Obbs Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @dr_obbs

Mar 13
People often ask me, "where can I find great information on motorsports and aerodynamics?" So how about a thread of some of my favorites? And no, I don't get paid to endorse these. I just think F1 Tech is a great place to share knowledge! Also, this is NOT an exhaustive list, but some that stick out to me. Feel free to add yours as well below!

Video below by Vyssion and JJN.
Let's start with some of my favorite books on car aerodynamics! "Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed" by Joseph Katz is goated. A really great book covering all types of race cars and written for anyone at any level. I highly recommend this book. Image
Another book that is sort of an extension of Katz is one from Simon McBeath called "Competition Car Aerodynamics." It's like a newer version of Katz book, and with a bit of very simple CFD in it as well. Image
Read 17 tweets
Mar 4
Is the RB20 great? Or is Max Verstappen + the RB20 great? I spent some of the weekend looking through the telemetry. And here is what I have found. In summary, Max Verstappen is a Swiss f*cking watch. Well, maybe a Dutch watch. Let's look at it in this thread. Image
Looking at the macro view level lap times to gage consistency, you can see that it's incredibly consistent irrespective of compoud. Credit to Checo as well, his lap times in Bahrain were also very consistent, but also consistently 5-tenths to 1 second slower per lap. But why? Image
Looking over the a single lap, many show similar characteristics. It's like death by a thousand paper cuts, or in this case by 15 corners. The intricacy and precision of driving from one corner to the next builds delta from corner to corner. Image
Read 13 tweets
Jul 12, 2023
Was the RB19 of MV really slow on the straights compared to the other teams? Or was something else going on? We know that MV wasn't fortunate to gain any DRS or slipstream after passing LN, but what else was going on? Let's understand this more in the thread below. 🧵
If we look first at the pit straight into Turns 1 and 2, comparing LN and MV, we see something peculiar. MV never upshifts to 8th gear, but holds 7th. Thus, his engine RPM is higher and he doesn't lift into T1. He does, however, lose time slightly to LN due to the lower speed. 🧵
Looking at the onboards, LN is 1.336s behind MV so he may catch a very slight tow, but the top speed delta here is 4kph with LN reaching 300kph. By MV never upshifting to 8th gear he limits his T1 entry speed, but doesn't have to lift as a result. 🧵
Read 11 tweets
May 31, 2023
Well that helps to solve that mystery. Had also heard that this plank was painted so they could observe the wear patterns better. Looking at this, the plank wear is quite low overall. How about a thread comparing my observations of the RB, Merc, and Ferrari wear patterns.🧵
The bib looks to be running quite low. Possibly some forward rake, as most suspect. RB is able to run their forward floor very low, and still ride curbs and manage bump tracks like Monaco. A bit more left sided mid wear. 🧵 Image
Mid floor looks pretty stable with little wear. Same preferential left side wear from previous image along the length of the mid floor. No floor flexing going on here. 😉 🧵 Image
Read 7 tweets
May 30, 2023
There is a quote in here that perfectly summarizes what I have been trying to say about the complexity seeing an image of a floor, and then getting a floor to work well.

"Talking to an engineer from the Milton Keynes team, not too worried about the photographs taken of their.."
"..underbody in Montecarlo, he explained to us that it is easier to work on the cross section of the channels while the slope (height) variation part inside is much more complicated to the tunnel and the simultaneous generation of eddies; an infinite job, among other things.."
".., since a car never works with a constant height but has many external elements, such as bumps, and dynamics, such as roll, pitch, etc., which greatly complicate the design of what it is the most important aerodynamic component of these new F1 cars..."
Read 4 tweets
May 23, 2023
Amazing interview with Adrian Newey!

*RB have gotten on top of the tyre "switch on" issues they had in AP
*More freedom than thought in these regulations
*Ferrari concept broadly similar to RB
*Never clear on what the potential of a concept is initially
*RB19 evolution of RB18
*CFD now gives engineers better understanding of flow details on a car
*RB team minimizes meetings and encourages communication in flat organization
*Focus on creating a culture of innovation
*overall complexity of packaging components in current F1 cars is driving larger cars Image
*Choice for pullrod front and pushrod rear suspensions made for aerodynamic reasons
*Without regulations, F1 cars would be ridiculously fast. (@NaturalParadigm)
*Engineers can create race cars where tyres can't handle the loads Image
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(