Napoleon? THIRTY EIGHT

17 of them with impossible odds

Half a dozen EMPIRES had to join hands to stand a chance against him

Yet his wife slept with other men

The tragic love story of one of the greatest men of all time: Image
1/ Joséphine

An aristocrat’s daughter, a widow, mother of 2

Also 6 years older than Napoleon

On the marriage certificate she increased Napoleon’s age by 1.5 years and decreased hers by 4

Wedding was officiated by an illegitimate priest

Napoleon was just an army officer Image
2/ Napoleon’s love for her - despite her age, previous children, and his family’s great disapproval - could only be described as wild and profound. From a love letter: “The remembrance of last night’s delirium have robbed my senses of repose. My waking thoughts are all of thee.” Image
3/ Joséphine hardly ever wrote back

In 1796 Napoleon wrote:

“You do not write me at all, you do not love your husband; you know the pleasure that your letters afford him, and you do not write him six lines of even haphazard scribble.”

Future Emperor, left on “read” Image
4/ As Napoleon led his men to impossible victories, his spirit stayed agitated and morose

He wrote to Joséphine, telling her he can’t muster a response to “How did you sleep?” without knowing how she slept

He wanted his “genius” to protect her, and leave him “unguarded” twitter.com/i/web/status/1… Image
5/ The thought of Joséphine kept Napoleon sane in the middle of INHUMAN emotional and physical turmoil:

“When I’m weary of the worries of my profession, when men disgust me, when I’m ready to curse my life, I put my hand on my heart where your portrait beats in unison.” Image
6/ Napoleon was haunted by the suspicion that Joséphine loved him “less” with each passing day

This idea, he wrote, “blights my soul, stops my blood, makes me wretched without even leaving me the courage of fury”

He was right

She was cheating on him immediately after marriage ImageImage
7/ Napoleon to Joséphine:

“I haven't drunk one cup of tea without cursing the pride and ambition which force me to remain apart from the moving spirit of my life. If I rise to work in the middle of the night, it is because this may hasten by a matter of days our meeting." Image
8/ Joséphine had the GALL to come visit Napoleon with the man she was cheating on him with

And when Napoleon came for her, she was nowhere to be seen:

“I arrive at Milan, I rush into your apartment, I have left everything to see you, to press you in my arms…you were not there” Image
9/ Napoleon’s last words: “France, the army, head of the army, Joséphine”

He divorced her

But never got over her

Affairs didn’t help

The pain of not being loved back by her lingered on

I’m reminded of a line from a letter he wrote in 1796: “I had the right to be spared this” Image
“I had the right to be spared this” Image
Besides being a heartbroken lover...

Napoleon was an obsessive workaholic, a voracious reader, an incredible ruler, and the scariest general of his time

He also had a golden tongue

I've collected Napoleon's most interesting ideas and sayings here: memod.com/jashdholani/bo… Image
Thank you for reading fren

I appreciate your time

RT for Napoleon🫡🫡🫡

👇

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jash Dholani

Jash Dholani Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @oldbooksguy

Oct 14
Dostoevsky🧵

A literary rockstar at 24. Almost executed by a firing squad at 28...

Exiled to Siberia. Returns to write some of the greatest books ever...

In his lesser-known letters and essays, we get a more intimate look at what he loved, hated, fiercely believed in

Dig in👇🏻 Image
1/ Dostoevsky believed life is only possible when you have a philosophical north star you swear by:

"Neither a person nor a nation can exist without some higher idea"

Dostoevsky: "In order to maintain itself and live, every society must necessarily respect someone & something"
2/ In his essay against Environmental determinism, Dostoevsky writes:

"The doctrine of the environment reduces man to an absolute nonentity, exempts him totally from every personal moral duty and from all independence, reduces him to the lowest form of slavery imaginable..."
Read 14 tweets
Oct 13
Elon Musk reminds me of Carlyle's 1841 book on heroes. Carlyle wrote the single most important quality in great men is their sincerity. They stand directly upon reality, not upon the consensus, the status quo, the norms. Elon calls it first principles thinking, but same thing Image
Short-term incentives always tell you to ignore baseline reality and respond to office politics, interpersonal drama, status games. You require a strange combination of high IQ, low agreeableness, high openness, low neuroticism, to ignore the short-term & deal with reality as is Image
Elon Musk is also a lesson in why we need ostentatious wealth. Thank God he made $150 million on PayPal. Without that windfall...no SpaceX, no Tesla, no Starlink, no free speech on the internet. Someone will always wield power. Better driven men than faceless bureaucracies...Image
Read 4 tweets
Oct 11
Yesterday, Elon Musk unveiled the Robovan, and it was Art Deco

Why is this dead 1920s movement making a comeback?

And who killed it in the first place?

A thread with all the answers... Image
1/ Art Deco began with a breakup. Now called the "Vienna Secession" a bunch of visionaries resigned from the "Association of Austrian Artists" in 1897 to chart new territory. The hero's journey begins. Their first project - the "Secession Building" in Vienna (still standing) Image
2/ The Vienna Secession had painters (Klimt), advertisers (Josef Maria Auchentaller), architects ( Josef Hoffmann), and more. Their vision was to promote "Total Art," combining music, geometry, interior decor, architecture, painting, and other forms in dizzying new ways... Image
Read 16 tweets
Oct 9
Propaganda flips elections and destroys minds

59 years ago, a French theologian tried to warn the world about it...

12 insights from Jacques Ellul's Propaganda (1965)👇🏻 Image
1/ Modern man can "never stop to reflect." He's not allowed to synthesize his information. Rather, Ellul writes: "One thought drives away another; old facts are chased by new ones..."
2/ Clear thought has been replaced by vague feeling...

Ellul: "Modern man does not think about current problems; he feels them. He reacts, but be does not understand them any more than he takes responsibility for them."
Read 15 tweets
Oct 7
Issac Newton was an alchemist. Alan Turing thought telepathy is real. It's undeniable at this point that people at the upper bounds of intelligence are quasi-mystics. A material universe made of inert atoms is for midwits only
William James was a parapsychology researcher

Wolfgang Pauli, who Einstein called his "spiritual heir," thought he could break lab equipment from a different city

Past geniuses did not, infact, "trust the experts" Image
Jack Parsons invented the first rocket engine...while being a member of an occult group founded by magician Crowley

Arthur Conan Doyle created fiction's most logical man, Sherlock Holmes...while trying to contact spirits in his private life Image
Read 4 tweets
Oct 5
SOURCE of modern man's weakness, stupidity, and general lack of vitality?

His leisure activities

Aldous Huxley predicted the degeneracy of modern amusements in a 104 year old essay: Pleasures (1920)

Huxley on why and how to radically rewire the way you spend your free time👇🏻 Image
1/ Aldous Huxley writes that pleasures must not be an escape from effort

In fact, they must be unavailable *without* effort

Why? Because when preceded by effort, pleasure reinvigorates

But when preceded by nothing, pleasure retards your brain's reward systems
2/ Regression of "entertainment"

At royal weddings, theological debates were arranged as entertainment

Logicians debated God at Prince Palatine’s engagement

Huxley: “There was a time when people indulged themselves with distractions requiring a certain intellectual effort”
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(