The Intellectualist Profile picture
Jun 19, 2023 11 tweets 9 min read Read on X
1/10: Black history is not a separate entity.

It is a vital part of the very fabric of American history and it continues to play a role in shaping our country’s future.

This thread will help illustrate that point by diving into an important piece of history – the arrival of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… ImageImageImageImage
2/10: In August 1619, about a year before the Mayflower’s voyage, a ship arrived in Point Comfort, Virginia carrying the first enslaved Africans to English North America.

They were captured from Angola, in present-day West Africa. #1619Project #Juneteenth2023 ImageImage
3/10: The “20 and odd” Africans, as historical documents refer to them, arrived on the “White Lion,” a ship that had captured them from a Portuguese slaver.

They were sold in exchange for food and some were transported to Jamestown, the first permanent English colony.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… Image
4/10: This marks the beginning of over two centuries of chattel slavery in North America, an institution that had profound impact on the social, political, and economic structure of the colonies and, later, the United States. #HistoryMatters #Juneteenth2023 Image
5/10: It’s important to remember, these enslaved Africans were more than labor.

They were people with diverse cultures, languages, and skills. They made significant contributions, often forced and unrecognized, to the early colonies. #BlackContributions #Juneteenth2023 Image
6/10: In contrast, the Pilgrims, a group of English settlers, arrived in 1620 on the Mayflower, establishing the Plymouth Colony in present-day Massachusetts.

Their story is often highlighted in our history books, while the 1619 narrative is less widely known.#Juneteenth2023 Image
7/10: As we commemorate American history, let’s strive to ensure all narratives are equally represented. This includes the painful parts of our history.

It is by understanding the full scope of our past, we can create a more equitable future. #InclusiveHistory #Juneteenth2023 Image
8/10: Let’s educate ourselves & future generations about the foundational role African-Americans played in shaping the United States.

Their stories, struggles & triumphs are integral to the American narrative, and deserve more than a single month’s focus. #EverydayBlackHistorytwitter.com/i/web/status/1… ImageImage
9/10: Black history is American history.

Understanding this is crucial for acknowledging the contributions of Black Americans and addressing the systemic issues that stem from this dark period in our history.

Our collective progress depends on it. #Juneteenth2023 Image
10/10: Together, let’s continue to unravel the complete history of America – in all its complexity and diversity.

It’s through comprehensive understanding that we can truly appreciate the depths of our past and work towards a future built on truth and equity. #EndThreadtwitter.com/i/web/status/1… ImageImageImageImage
If you are not following us, please do. We would appreciate it. Thank you.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with The Intellectualist

The Intellectualist Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @highbrow_nobrow

Jul 3
1/12: 🚨 The Supreme Court's decision in Trump v. United States poses an existential threat to American liberty. This ruling extends presidential powers beyond what the Founders intended, turning the presidency into an elected kingship. theintellectualist.com/trump-v-us-pre…
2/12: With unchecked power, a president could act without legal consequences. This creates a dangerous path toward totalitarianism, where state powers could be used to monitor and judge Americans. theintellectualist.com/trump-v-us-pre…
3/12: Trump’s history and his associates' actions show these concerns are not exaggerated. If he becomes president under these rules, the dangers are severe. Let's explore how this could unfold. theintellectualist.com/trump-v-us-pre…
Read 14 tweets
Jul 2
🚨Vanity Fair’s recent article about RFK Jr. paints a picture of a man who lacks compassion, empathy, and a moral compass.

1. RFK took a photo with the barbecued remains of a dog and shared it with a friend. Kennedy reportedly implored a friend traveling to South Korea to try dog. (1/6)
vanityfair.com/news/story/rob…Image
2. A former family babysitter accuses RFK Jr. of sexual assault. (2/6)
vanityfair.com/news/story/rob…

3. While still married to his second wife, RFK Jr., Kennedy reportedly sent friends images of women’s genitalia, and his friends weren’t sure if the photos were taken consensually. (3/6)
vanityfair.com/news/story/rob…
Read 8 tweets
Jun 18
1. In a 2022 interview with @NicolleDWallace, former CIA Officer @tracy_walder expressed concern that the documents unlawfully retained by former President Donald Trump could be linked to the deaths of CIA informants overseas. What caused her concern? The known timeline. 1/10 Image
2. On May 6, 2021, the @USNatArchives contacted the representatives of the former president demanding he return the documents that he had unlawfully retained. 2/10
washingtonpost.com/national-secur…
3. October 7, 2021: Months later, the @nytimes reported that the @CIA , "said in a top secret cable [sent] to stations and bases around the world that too many of the people it recruits from other countries are being lost."
nytimes.com/2021/10/05/us/…
Read 11 tweets
May 25
IN MEMORIAM: Tomas Young, An Iraq War Veteran Who Sacrificed It All

As we near Memorial Day, the Intellectualist is posting the last letter of Tomas Young (November 30, 1979 – November 10, 2014), an Iraq War veteran.

Tomas addressed his last letter to former President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. Tomas was close to death, and wanted to speak out forcefully before he passed on: (@RollingStone)

"TOMAS YOUNG JOINED the Army two days after September 11, 2001 and was shot and paralyzed after serving only five days in Iraq in 2004. He was the subject of the powerful 2007 documentary Body of War – with a soundtrack that included Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine and Bruce Springsteen – and since then, his health has worsened and he is currently under hospice care."Image
The Last Letter

To: George W. Bush and Dick Cheney

I write this letter on the 10th anniversary of the Iraq War on behalf of my fellow Iraq War veterans.

I write this letter on behalf of the 4,488 soldiers and Marines who died in Iraq. I write this letter on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of veterans who have been wounded and on behalf of those whose wounds, physical and psychological, have destroyed their lives. I am one of those gravely wounded.

I was paralyzed in an insurgent ambush in 2004 in Sadr City. My life is coming to an end. I am living under hospice care. I write this letter on behalf of husbands and wives who have lost spouses, on behalf of children who have lost a parent, on behalf of the fathers and mothers who have lost sons and daughters and on behalf of those who care for the many thousands of my fellow veterans who have brain injuries.

I write this letter on behalf of those veterans whose trauma and self-revulsion for what they have witnessed, endured and done in Iraq have led to suicide and on behalf of the active-duty soldiers and Marines who commit, on average, a suicide a day.

I write this letter on behalf of the some one million Iraqi dead and on behalf of the countless Iraqi wounded. I write this letter on behalf of us all – the human detritus your war has left behind, those who will spend their lives in unending pain and grief.

I write this letter, my last letter, to you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney. I write not because I think you grasp the terrible human and moral consequences of your lies, manipulation and thirst for wealth and power.

I write this letter because, before my own death, I want to make it clear that I, and hundreds of thousands of my fellow veterans, along with millions of my fellow citizens, along with hundreds of millions more in Iraq and the Middle East, know fully who you are and what you have done.

You may evade justice but in our eyes you are each guilty of egregious war crimes, of plunder and, finally, of murder, including the murder of thousands of young Americans – my fellow veterans – whose future you stole.

Your positions of authority, your millions of dollars of personal wealth, your public relations consultants, your privilege and your power cannot mask the hollowness of your character.

You sent us to fight and die in Iraq after you, Mr. Cheney, dodged the draft in Vietnam, and you, Mr. Bush, went AWOL from your National Guard unit.

Your cowardice and selfishness were established decades ago. You were not willing to risk yourselves for our nation but you sent hundreds of thousands of young men and women to be sacrificed in a senseless war with no more thought than it takes to put out the garbage.

Your positions of authority, your millions of dollars of personal wealth, your public relations consultants, your privilege and your power cannot mask the hollowness of your character.

You sent us to fight and die in Iraq after you, Mr. Cheney, dodged the draft in Vietnam, and you, Mr. Bush, went AWOL from your National Guard unit. Your cowardice and selfishness were established decades ago.

You were not willing to risk yourselves for our nation but you sent hundreds of thousands of young men and women to be sacrificed in a senseless war with no more thought than it takes to put out the garbage.Image
I joined the Army two days after the 9/11 attacks. I joined the Army because our country had been attacked.

I wanted to strike back at those who had killed some 3,000 of my fellow citizens. I did not join the Army to go to Iraq, a country that had no part in the September 2001 attacks and did not pose a threat to its neighbors, much less to the United States.

I did not join the Army to “liberate” Iraqis or to shut down mythical weapons-of-mass-destruction facilities or to implant what you cynically called “democracy” in Baghdad and the Middle East.

I did not join the Army to rebuild Iraq, which at the time you told us could be paid for by Iraq’s oil revenues. Instead, this war has cost the United States over $3 trillion. I especially did not join the Army to carry out pre-emptive war.

Pre-emptive war is illegal under international law. And as a soldier in Iraq I was, I now know, abetting your idiocy and your crimes.

The Iraq War is the largest strategic blunder in U.S. history. It obliterated the balance of power in the Middle East.

It installed a corrupt and brutal pro-Iranian government in Baghdad, one cemented in power through the use of torture, death squads and terror. And it has left Iran as the dominant force in the region. On every level – moral, strategic, military and economic – Iraq was a failure. And it was you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney, who started this war.

It is you who should pay the consequencesImage
Read 8 tweets
May 13
1/12 Cynical bankruptcy may be endemic to politics, but JD Vance has refined it into an art form, manipulating his "son of Appalachia" image to ascend to the U.S. Senate. theintellectualist.com/jd-vance-fake-…
2/12 His initiative "Our Ohio Renewal," ostensibly for combating Appalachia's opioid crisis, abruptly closed after his political nomination, revealing his use of critical issues for personal gain. theintellectualist.com/jd-vance-fake-…
3/12 Recruitment of a doctor linked to Purdue Pharma, for his charity deepens the cynicism. This doctor's professional connections conflicted with the charity’s mission, prioritizing corporate narratives over community health. theintellectualist.com/jd-vance-fake-…
Read 13 tweets
May 12
1. In a 2022 interview with @NicolleDWallace, former CIA Officer @tracy_walder expressed concern that the documents unlawfully retained by former President Donald Trump could be linked to the deaths of CIA informants overseas. What caused her concern? The known timeline. 1/10 Image
2. On May 6, 2021, the @USNatArchives
contacted the representatives of the former president demanding he return the documents that he had unlawfully retained. 2/10
washingtonpost.com/national-secur…
3. October 7, 2021: Months later, the @nytimes
reported that the @CIA, "said in a top secret cable [sent] to stations and bases around the world that too many of the people it recruits from other countries are being lost."
nytimes.com/2021/10/05/us/…
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(