Lahav Harkov 🎗️ Profile picture
Jul 18, 2023 8 tweets 2 min read Read on X
Biden and Herzog in the Oval Office.

Biden: Our commitment to Israel is ironclad

Article to come Image
After the meeting, Herzog says US concern about internal strife in Israel is bc the countries are like family. "It’s not just to complain; it’s out of deep concern by many of our friends." Israelis should take this into consideration, he said.
Btw, Biden mumbled and was practically unintelligible. It wasn’t just me. We compared notes and asked American reporters. None of us could understand what he was saying behind a few words here and there, even when listening to recordings after the Oval Office meeting.
More details from the Biden-Herzog meeting:

POTUS said it is important to reach broad agreement in the judiciary and the discord in Israel makes regional processes more difficult, according to a source with knowledge of the meeting.
In light of the recent spike in terrorism in the West Bank, Biden said Israel has the right to defend itself. He also spoke out against incidents of Israeli violence against Palestinians, the source said.  

They also discussed the need to cooperate to counter the Iranian threat,
The presidents met one-on-one for about 40 minutes and another 20 minutes together with Secretary of State Antony Blinken and National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan. 

During the meeting, Biden displayed the Medal of Honor Herzog gave him last year, and said he is proud of it.
White House readout of Biden-Herzog meeting

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Lahav Harkov 🎗️

Lahav Harkov 🎗️ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @LahavHarkov

Sep 1
Netanyahu:

This is a difficult day. The entire nation’s hearts are broken. I and all of Israel were shocked to the depths of my soul at the terrible murder in cold blood of six of our hostages…

I say to the Hamas terrorists…we will not rest. We will hunt you down, we will reach you and you will pay the price.

We are fighting on all fronts against a cruel enemy who wants to murder us all. Just this morning they killed 3 police officers in Hebron…

The fact that Hamas continues to commit atrocities like on Oct. 7 requires us to do everything to ensure they can’t commit those atrocities again.
Netanyahu on hostage negotiations:

Since December, Hamas refuses to really negotiate. 3 months ago Israel agreed to a deal to free the hostages fully backed by the US. Hamas refused even after the US updated the deal on August 16 — we agreed, Hamas refused again…Hamas continues to refuse every offer. Even worse, at the same time they murdered six of our hostages.

*Whoever murders hostages doesn’t want a deal.*

We won’t give up. The govt of Israel is committed and I personally commit to continuing to work towards a deal that will bring back all our hostages and ensure our security and our existence.
Hostage families forum calls on Netanyahu to “stop blaming everyone, take responsibility for your failures…You’re the prime minister, it’s your responsibility to bring back the hostages. The spin about Philadelphi is yours. The decision to ignore the stance of the whole security establishment…is yours.”
Read 4 tweets
Jul 24
Some of the guests for Netanyahu’s speech who I’ve spotted so far:
Rivka Kidron
@lightstonea
@DouglasKMurray
Rabbi Levi Shemtov
@JGreenblattADL
Sander Gerber
@NDiament
Falic family
Daniel Bonner
Eric Fingerhut
Rabbi Abraham Cooper
Pastor Hagee
Richard and Phyllis Heidemen
Also in the audience: Former Netanyahu spokesman David Keyes who was forced to resign over sexual misconduct allegations.
Fetterman is wearing a suit in honor of this occasion! Unfortunately, I’m not allowed to take pictures.
Read 57 tweets
May 5
#BREAKING Israel's cabinet voted unanimously to shut down Al Jazeera in Israel
This proposal was raised repeatedly since Oct. 7 in light of Al Jazeera reporters' membership in Hamas, giving away IDF positions, etc - but it was delayed again and again, in part bc Qatar, which owns Al Jazeera, is the mediator in hostage negotiations.
The Knesset passed a law on April 1 temporarily empowering the cabinet to vote to stop foreign news outlets from operating in Israel if security services report that they are endangering national security - something that they indeed reported about Al Jazeera. The order must be brought to a district court for review. The order is valid for 45 days and can be renewed.
Read 4 tweets
Apr 16
This is what Israeli Health Ministry representative Gilad Bodenheimer said at the same Knesset meeting: "We know of only a few cases of suicide. We must be cautious with numbers that could do public damage."
I don't necessarily take the government at its word, but I also question how the survivor would know about 50 cases. (I'm not attributing malice to the survivor, to be clear.)
This is from January haaretz.com/israel-news/20…
Read 4 tweets
Mar 25
#BREAKING Netanyahu announces that if the US doesn't veto the UN Security Council resolution for a ceasefire today, he's canceling Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer and National Security Adviser Tzachi Hanegbi's White House meetings.
Dermer and Hanegbi's trip to Washington came after Biden asked Netanyahu on the phone last week to send a delegation to discuss alternatives to a major IDF operation in Rafah.
Sources tells me that earlier today, U.S. officials notified Dermer the U.S. plans to allow two separate ceasefire resolutions to pass in the UNSC: one calling for a ceasefire and one calling to release the hostages, without one being a condition of the other.
Read 5 tweets
Feb 7
Blinken: “While there are some clear nonstarters in Hamas’ response, we do think it creates space” to negotiate a hostage release deal.

Also talks about negotiations to get Hezbollah off the northern border so Israelis can return to their homes.
Blinken spends much more time talking about humanitarian aid to Gaza and the toll of the war on civilians than about everything else combined. Calls on Israel to open the Erez crossing to northern Gaza, improve coordination w aid providers, stop anyone from blocking aid.
Blinken says that Hamas dehumanized Israelis on Act 7 and continued to dehumanize the hostages every day, but says it cannot be a reason to dehumanize Gazans, most of whom, he says, had nothing to do with the attack.
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(