Anthony Goldbloom Profile picture
Nov 30, 2023 8 tweets 2 min read Read on X
A new survey suggests TikTok is a meaningful driver of a surge in antisemitism. #TikToxic

Spending at least 30 minutes a day on TikTok increases the chances a respondent holds antisemitic or anti-Israel views by 17% (compared with 6% for Instagram and 2% for X).
TikTok users are more likely to believe Jewish people are dishonest in business, are disloyal to America, and have too much power in the media. They are also more likely to disagree that Israel has a right to defend itself against those who want to destroy it.
This is not surprising when you consider that for every view of a TikTok video with a pro-Israel hashtag in the US, there are 54 views of videos with pro-Palestinian hashtags.

In fact, FreePalestine is currently one of the top-performing hashtags across all of TikTok. Image
This ratio differs from opinion polls, which show sentiment among Americans aged 18-24 split roughly equally between Israel and the Palestinians. TikTok does not merely reflect pre-existing sentiment—it is shaping views, creating a dangerous environment for Jews.
All of this matters, TikTok has tremendous reach. This chart benchmarks views of pro-Palestinian videos in the US against visits to the 10 mainstream news sites.

It's no wonder there's been a 10x increase in antisemitic incidents on college campuses compared with a year ago. Image
In the past, TikTok has taken action on WhiteLivesMatter, AllLivesMatter, LetterToAmerica. There are a series of hashtags (starting with FreePalestine) that, like WhiteLivesMatter, sound innocuous but are endangering young Jews. Those hashtags should go.
All the charts, code and data from this Tweet are available on Github:
github.com/antgoldbloom/t…
I should have mentioned earlier, that the work behind the survey and analysis was a team effort and included @Yaffit_S, @GontownikA and @roybahat

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Anthony Goldbloom

Anthony Goldbloom Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @antgoldbloom

Oct 31, 2023
Like many others, I was shocked to see the results of the Harvard poll showing that 51% of 18-24 year-olds believe Hamas’s massacre of Israelis was justified.

Motivated by this post (), I sourced data on TikTok and Instagram Reels related to the war. 🧵1/7
My data covers videos that received 9B plays. By comparison, the NYTimes receives 425M visits per month. My data shows that Gaza-based photographer Motaz Azaiza () alone has posted videos that have been viewed 465MM times. 2/7 instagram.com/motaz_azaiza/r…
On Instagram, anti-Israel posts seem to spread more easily.

The largest pro-Israel account is gal_gadot, with 109.5M followers. Her 16 posts that support Israel have an average of 3.5M views per post.

motaz_azaiza has 11.4M followers but receives 15M plays per post Image
Read 7 tweets
Jul 25, 2022
Been spending the last few weeks speaking to data scientists working on demand forecasting. Some interesting things I learned. 🧵
Forecasting sales for new products was mentioned by many as a big challenge. It's common to use historical sales for adjacent products to inform these forecasts. A few mentioned putting up a "coming soon" page for the new product to create training data for forecasts.
Heard ~across the board that internal data (eg historical sales, inventory levels and promotion data) is far more valuable than external data. To the extent that external data is useful at all, there can be some value in weather data and events data.
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(