Kassy Dillon Profile picture
Jan 12 21 tweets 8 min read Read on X
Harvard is sending students to a school with deep terrorist ties this summer.

When I asked them to comment on partnering Birzeit University, which has barred Jews from campus and has a student government run by Hamas, Harvard defended the upcoming program.

THREAD: Image
The “Palestine Social Medicine Course” is a “three-week intensive summer course is designed to introduce students to the social, structural, political, and historical aspects that determine Palestinian health beyond the biological basis of disease.” 

The curriculum content will include hearing from health practitioners, academics, and activists about various topics including “Settler colonialism and its manifestations in Palestine” and “Health and racism,” the website adds.Image
Birzeit’s students voted for a Hamas-affiliated bloc for its student government for a second year in a row in May.

The Islamic Bloc won 25 of the 51 seats with 4,481 votes in the race that had a 77% voter turnout.

The Bloc said its victory proves students favor “the option of resistance” against Israel, and disapprove of the Palestinian Authority’s policies.Image
Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh praised their victory and even spoke to participants at its celebrations over the phone, claiming the victory shows Hamas is “unbreakable” in the West Bank, Middle East Monitor reported.
In September, the student government president, Abdulmajid Hassan, and seven other students were arrested by the Israel Defense Forces. Some of the students confessed to planning a terror attack.

One of the co-directors of Harvard’s program condemned the raid during a webinar about the trip.

“We condemn the Israeli raid of Birzeit University on September 24th and stand in solidarity with our colleagues at Birzeit University,” David Mills said. “These raids violate the right of Palestinians to education, freedom of speech, and freedom of association.”Image
In 2022, Birzeit student activists were arrested for helping to launder money from Gaza to Hamas members in Turkey to finance terrorist attacks, The Jerusalem Post reported.

m.jpost.com/middle-east/ar…
About 60 to 70 Birzeit students are imprisoned at any given time for security offenses, according to a 2017 feature by the Financial Times.

ft.com/content/5c7ed0…
Stephanie Simon, Harvard’s Dean for Communications and Strategic Initiatives acknowledged the student body’s association with Hamas, but said it has not affected its program. She referred to Hamas as a major political party.

“Student government elections at Birzeit typically involve candidates affiliated with each of the major political parties in the region, including Hamas,” she said. “These student government elections are not germane to and have not affected the FXB Center’s work with the scholars and students at Birzeit’s Institute of Community and Public Health.”
Birzeit University, widely considered the most prestigious Palestinian university, called for “glory for martyrs” on October 10, just days after Hamas’ attack on civilians in southern Israel. Image
Birzeit University’s website describes itself as a “thorn in the side of the occupation,” and says it is “transforming Palestinian higher education through its impact on community awareness, culture and resistance.” Image
In 2022, Birzeit University’s Sports Education Club hosted an athletic competition named after one of its many prominent terrorist alumni, Marwan Barghouti, who received his master’s degree in 1998. Barghouti is considered a leader of the First and Second Intifada and was convicted of killing five people.

palwatch.org/page/29904
Birzeit University’s Kamal Nasser Hall is named after a leader of Black September, the terror organization responsible for kidnapping and killing 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics. Image
On Nov. 24, 2022, the bloc hosted a “Ayyash’s Army,” event after Birzeit electric engineering alum Yahya Ayyash who is known for revamping suicide bombs and helping kill 100 civilians.

It was hosted the day after 22 Israelis were injured, and two killed, from terrorist bombs at a bus stop.

memri.org/reports/praise…
Ahlam Aref Ahmad al-Tamimi, who helped bomb an Israeli pizza shop in 2001, is also an alum.

At a 2014 prisoner release deal celebration al-Tamimi spoke through recorded message and reminisced about her time as a student and thanked Hamas’s Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades.

middleeastmonitor.com/20140220-islam…
In 2021, a parade celebrating Hamas’s 34th anniversary was held on campus — against the school’s COVID-19 gathering restrictions — where masked students wearing the Hamas banner beat up university security guards. The school announced it temporarily suspended one student involved.

jpost.com/middle-east/ar…
Birzeit University had an official policy banning Israeli Jews from being on campus, which came to light in 2014 when a left-wing reporter for Haaretz was removed from a conference. It is unclear if this policy is still in place.

“She and her colleagues were afraid, she told me, that students would break into the conference hall in protest over my presence,” Amira Haas wrote, recounting the incident. “Palestinian citizens of Israel who teach at Israeli universities are not subject to the same policy.”

haaretz.com/2014-09-28/ty-…
Harvard launched its relationship with Birzeit University last summer when its FXB Center for Health and Human Rights brought the first group of students to the West Bank for the program.

The faculty for the program are all affiliated with the FXB Center, including Yara Asi, an assistant professor at the University of Central Florida, who wrote a letter in November with colleagues calling for a ceasefire and “centering Palestine in the classroom.”

hhrjournal.org/2023/11/health…
Bram Wispelwey, who will teach during the program and also teaches at Harvard Medical School, published an op-ed in Al Jazeera in November calling the war in Gaza a “U.S.-backed genocide.”

He went on to accuse Western doctors of being “collaborationists” with “colonial violence” if they engage in “passive silence.”

aljazeera.com/opinions/2023/…
All of the program’s faculty members — Mills, Asi, Wispelway, as well as two others named Weeam Hammoudeh, and Osama Tannous — joined to pen an academic article in 2022, claiming that “health equity” for Palestinians “is possible only with the abolition of all oppressive structures that ensure Jewish supremacy and Palestinian inferiority from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea.”

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P…
The Harvard spokeswoman said that “leadership at Harvard Chan School and the FXB Center unequivocally condemn Hamas’s brutal attacks on Israel and its taking of hostages.”
This year’s program is set to take place from July 29 to August 17, with a cost of $2,750 per participant.

My full report for @realDailyWire:

dailywire.com/news/harvard-t…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Kassy Dillon

Kassy Dillon Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @KassyDillon

Oct 26, 2023
THREAD:

57 anti-Israel students were arrested last night at UMass Amherst after occupying the administration building.

They called police pigs and called for the destruction of Israel.
The police trying to reason with the students to leave before arresting them
Anti-Israel protestors shouting their names as they’re arrested

Read 8 tweets
Dec 2, 2022
THREAD: Ye's most offensive and alarming remarks from his Infowars interview today. Image
Alex Jones tells Ye that he's not a Nazi or Hitler.

Ye responds: “I see good things about Hitler," adding "every human being has something of value that they brought to the table, especially Hitler."
Ye pulls out a net and Yoo-hoo milk to mock Benjamin Netanyahu.

"I'm in the Twilight Zone," says Alex Jones.

Ye goes on to use a high-pitched voice to mock Netanyahu.

Alex Jones gets flustered.
Read 34 tweets
Mar 15, 2022
Video statement just provided to me by an American working with the Georgian Legion in Ukraine. He says the recent viral video about the American volunteers getting their passports cut up is false and that they were kicked out for failing the vetting process. Two parts:
"They said our base was hit, we'll I'm still here..."

Take what you want from this information. Just passing along the message.
The Georgian Legion and the Ukrainian Foreign Legion are different. The Ukrainian one requires you to commit until martial law is over. The Georgian one requires 6 months, but their commander just told me you can leave before then if you sign a release and return your weapon.
Read 6 tweets
Mar 15, 2022
1/ Still processing my Ukraine experience. I keep thinking about are the extreme highs and the extreme lows. I saw intense suffering of families being separated and people scared for their future, but then I saw extreme human kindness where everyone is banding together.🧵
2/ Need a place to stay? Done. Need food? Done. Need a friend? Done. The barriers that usually exist between strangers were gone. I cried hugging a female volunteer from Saudi Arabia that I became close with when I saw men crying when saying bye to their wives and kids.
3/ You're not supposed to cry in front of the refugees. It scares the children. I kept it together for days, but I just couldn't anymore and had to hide from them while I collected myself. It amazes me how the mothers stayed so strong for their small children. Really inspired me.
Read 7 tweets
Jan 11, 2022
A couple of months ago I went through a pretty terrible breakup. Here's what I learned, in case this helps anyone else going through something similar:
1. Surround yourself with friends and family. Being alone allows you to get trapped in your thoughts that can make you regress. You'll also find out who your true friends are in this process.
2. Ease into the transition of your new situation. Feel what needs to be felt and process it, but don't radically change your routine yet. That harms your processing of the situation.
Read 12 tweets
Oct 4, 2021
Right now @benshapiro is debating @AnaKasparian at the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry's annual dinner.

I'll try to live-tweet some of the best parts since the stream is not public.
They are debating whether America is a disappointment or not. Ben says America is not and is the "greatest success story in world history."

Ana says America failed to live up to its ideals. She cites senators mitigating the significance of the pandemic at the beginning?
Ana says both sides are to blame for division. Ben says he agrees with that but says the far left is the only group that isn't afraid to share their political beliefs, citing a CATO study.
Read 30 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(