Trevor Aaronson Profile picture
Mar 6 8 tweets 2 min read Read on X
How real was the conspiracy to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer? Thousands of pages of FBI reports and hundreds of hours of undercover recordings obtained exclusively by @theintercept provide an inside look at the controversial sting. 🧵 bit.ly/3P9OHF4
This story, reported and written by @Eric_VanDussen and me, reveals that FBI agents were concerned that informant Stephen Robeson's actions might suggest entrapment. To prevent Robeson from damaging the case, FBI agents used leverage to keep him off the witness stand.
Among the key findings in our story:

-- A recording of the FBI's interrogation of Stephen Robeson provides a rare look inside an FBI investigation. At one point, an agent says: "A saying we have in my office is, 'Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story,' right?"
-- FBI reports and recordings reveal how the FBI has adapted abusive war-on-terror sting tactics to target perceived domestic extremists and raise questions about whether the FBI pursued a larger effort to encourage political violence ahead of the 2020 election.
-- An undercover FBI agent who went by the nickname "Red" offered to provide bombs to the would-be Whitmer kidnappers. Three weeks earlier, the same agent was in Denver, where he encouraged a plot to kill the state AG. bit.ly/3YGi3gs
-- Federal agents running the Whitmer plot investigation endangered the public to avoid undermining their operation. Agents suspected that one man might have had a live grenade in the state Capitol but did not stop him. (The grenade turned out to be nonfunctional.)
-- The Justice Department claimed Robeson was a "double agent" whose actions weren't under the FBI's control. But FBI records and recordings reveal this claim was part of a carefully planned strategy.
"The FBI's Double Agent" includes links to FBI documents and audio clips of the FBI's five-hour recorded conversation with Robeson after the kidnapping was announced. bit.ly/3P9OHF4

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Trevor Aaronson

Trevor Aaronson Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @trevoraaronson

Mar 17
This @dailymail story passing itself off as serious journalism is hysterical. It's about TikTok influencer "Mike," who's reportedly being hunted by the FBI but won't reveal his full name despite having 350,000 followers on TikTok. Oh, there's more. 🧵bit.ly/49Sdp4U
You see, TikTok Mike was near the Capitol during the January 6 riot. The volunteer snitches at Sedition Hunters even posted a picture of him. That got him worried, see. Then the FBI came to his house, according to — no joke — a text message from Mom. Then he got really worried.
OK, so the story claims that TikTok Mike is the first "case of terror charges allegedly being leveled against those involved" on January 6. Then it adds: "a step beyond the convictions for 'seditious conspiracy' for some participants."
Read 14 tweets
Mar 9
Documents and recordings from the FBI's Gov. Whitmer kidnapping case raise questions about whether the FBI pursued a larger effort to encourage political violence ahead of the 2020 election, @Eric_VanDussen and I revealed in @theintercept. 🧵 bit.ly/3wNue2i
2) At least one undercover FBI agent and two informants in the Michigan case were also involved in stings centering on plots to assassinate the governor of Virginia and the attorney general of Colorado.
3) Right-wing media and politicians like Rep. Jim Jordan have claimed that the FBI has become "weaponized" specifically against conservatives. But the larger story of the FBI's secret role behind plots of political violence in 2020 doesn't support this claim.
Read 16 tweets
Mar 30, 2023
In the Proud Boys trial, FBI informants testified that federal agents weren’t interested in the far-right group. “They didn’t want to know about the Proud Boys, they wanted to know about antifa,” one informant inside the Proud Boys said yesterday. (1) bit.ly/3nB7UEl
This tracks with my recent reporting on the FBI’s infiltration and subversion of the racial justice movement during the summer of 2020. I tell that story, in full, in "Alphabet Boys," a 10-episode documentary podcast that is out now. apple.co/3Yh688C (2)
The FBI, concerned about “Black Identity Extremism” during that tumultuous summer, recruited a violent felon to become a leader of the movement in Denver. (3) bit.ly/3YGi3gs
Read 11 tweets
Mar 28, 2023
Mickey Windecker had guns. So Zebb didn’t think much about Mickey asking to buy a gun for him.

Mickey told Zebb he can’t be near him when he buys the gun. “Then all of a sudden, they know I’m a felon,” Mickey said.
apple.co/3Yh688C (1/4)
Mickey was building a case for the FBI — setting up Zebb on a felony firearms charge.

After buying a gun, Zebb arranged to meet Mickey. Smoking a cigar and waiting in his hearse, Mickey sang along to The Fugees’ cover of “Killing Me Softly.”
apple.co/3Yh688C (2/4)
Mickey positioned the FBI’s camera to face the driver’s side window. So he hollered for Zebb to come to that side of the car.

Rod Stewart played on the hearse’s stereo as Zebb handed Mickey the gun purchased using FBI money.
apple.co/3Yh688C (3/4)
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(