B.M. Profile picture
Mar 12 7 tweets 2 min read Read on X
🧵"Until Gaza is erased"
I'm sure many of you heard of genocidal hit song Harbu Darbu (20M views on YT), but I haven't seen almost any mention of another contemporary Israeli hit song, not as popular as HD ("only" 1.8M views), but the lyrics are actually worse: "Shager" (launch)
The word "Shager" (launch), comes from the phrase "2, 3, Shager". It refers to the countdown before a drone's missile launch. Phrase was popularized in Israel after a video released by IDF spokesperson went viral. There have been many cultural references to the phrase ever since.
"Knocking on rooftops" refers to the known IDF practice, of dropping a small bomb before dropping a larger bomb on a building. It's supposed to serve as sort of an evacuation warning.

"The 10 plagues" refers to the biblical 10 plagues of Egypt.
"Plague of the Firstborn" ("Death of the Firstborn") refers to the last Plague of Egypt, when every firstborn Egyptian - young/old/male/female and livestock - died simultaneously.

"For every flower of ours we handed them a bouquet" - "flower" is military codename for casualty.
"Who's Crazy?" refers to a popular Israeli military rallying cry. A soldier or a commander would ask "Who's crazy?" and the soldiers would shout collectively "I'm crazy!"

"We wanted to dance in nature" refers to the October 7th Nova rave, where 347 civilians were massacred.
"Hope is not yet lost" refers to a line from the Israeli national anthem, "HaTikva" ("The Hope").

"Doing fauda" (said in Arabic) seems to refer both to the Israeli action TV show Fauda and to the act of "doing fauda" itself (literally "making a mess/creating chaos")
"Sublime People" ("Am Sgula") is a phrase that refers to the concept of Jews as "The Chosen People".

Original video:

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with B.M.

B.M. Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ireallyhateyou

Jun 29
🧵"It didn't start on October 7th."

Not only did it not start on October 7th, but it also didn't start in 1967 nor in 1948. In reality, it's been more than 140 years of Zionists displacing Palestinians. One displacement after another.

JNF Names Committee, December 2, 1927:
The members of the committee discussed the appropriate name for the religious Jewish settlement that would later be called Kfar Hasidim, a settlement that was established on the lands of the nearby Arab-Palestinian village of Khirbat al-Majdal.

Akiva Ettinger, Director of the Lands Department at JNF at the time, opposed a proposal to use the word "Migdal" in the name of the settlement, and explained:
"The Arab village of Majdal is located, for now, outside of the JNF's lands. There is no doubt that a Jewish settlement will be established there, in place of the Arab village of Majdal, and we will need the name 'Migdal' for that settlement."

A few years later the JNF indeed managed to purchase the village area from the recent Zionist landowners. Those landowners themselves bought the lands from the Lebanese Sursock family, which took over vast territory in Palestine, including Majdal's lands, thanks to the 1858 Ottoman land reforms.

Thus, Khirbet al-Majdal was erased from the map and its residents were displaced.

The name of the place was changed to "Giv'at Shamir." The settlers of Kibbutz Ramat Yohanan first settled in the homes of Majdal's Palestinians, before establishing their permanent kibbutz nearby. Today the national center of the Scouts movement is located in Giv'at Shamir.

Meanwhile, al-Majdal's fellahin, together with their neighbors from the village of Kafr Ata, who shared a similar fate, stayed nearby and established the villages Khirbet Sa'sa', Khirbet al-Kasair, and Ras Ali. The former two were depopulated and destroyed two decades later, while the latter village managed to survive the 1948 Nakba but was only recognized by the State of Israel in 1979, and like all Palestinian villages and towns in Israel, faces systematic discrimination to this day.

The dispossession of Palestinians did not start in 1948, but with the beginning of Zionist settlement in Israel. The dispossession and depopulation were not coincidental but an essential part of the Zionist plan.Image
Map of the area from the PEF map, circa 1880. Image
Map of the area from a Palestine Survey map, 1940's. Image
Read 5 tweets
Jun 26
🧵Tamra, The Galilee: Three weeks ago, Ahmad Diab, a local young accountant who just recently finished his studies and got engaged, was shot and injured by members of a local crime family, who wanted to send a message to Ahmad's father, who owns a restaurant and refused to pay protection money. No arrests were made.

Two days ago Diab died from his wounds. After the funeral, the town's youth started marching in protest of the rampant crime. Like many of the crime families within the Palestinian society in Israel, this family is protected by the Israeli law enforcement authorities. The police brutally repressed the protest using tear gas and stun grenades.

Israeli authorities openly let (and probably encourage) criminals operate within the Palestinian society in Israel. Many of the families involved are of collaborators. They receive the police and Shin Bet's protection, and can literally get away with murder. Or 100 murders. Much of the illegal weapons, BTW, are military issue
The goal, as always with the Zionists, is to disintegrate the Palestinian society in Israel. Destroy it from within.
Police even brought a helicopter.
Videos from the funeral

Read 5 tweets
Jun 22
Palestinian youth Mujahid Blas was abducted in Jenin by Israeli forces, who abused him, tied him to the front of a military jeep and paraded him around.
He was later handed over by the army to the Red Crescent.
Mujahid Blas Image
Another video
Read 4 tweets
Jun 15
🧵1/10
Some excerpts from an article in Ha'aretz from two months ago (yeah, I have a huge backlog) about "shooting & crying"-type religious "leftist" soldiers and their experiences in Gaza.

In the photo:
"A religious reserve soldier carrying a weapon, marked with 'X' symbols representing the number of enemy combatants killed, in Tel Aviv"

The full article:
archive.md/0QTKT#selectio…Image
2/10
"It felt difficult using other people's things... It was also complicated by people taking things home. They often took prayer beads... It disgusted me that others took other people's property, knowing that they would burn the house... It's Gaza, everyone does whatever they want"Image
3/10
"Once, a rabbi (who came to lecture) from Kiryat Arba in the West Bank said we need to destroy and shoot everyone, and that the IDF's (rules of engagement) ethics are a "Distorted Western Morality"" Image
Read 10 tweets
Jun 11
So now the State of Israel is officially pushing the narrative that "there are no uninvolved" in Gaza.
How is this not considered a confession of genocidal intent?! Image
Official Israel also uses the Abdallah al-Jamal screenshot from al-Jazeera's website, even though they know that he wasn't an AJ reporter but merely had an opinion piece published 5 years ago.
They also haven't given any proof that al-Jamal was even involved in keeping hostages. Image
This is all part of an official system-wide policy of lies and deception, meant to demonize, dehumanize and give legitimacy to the extermination of Palestinians and the persecution and murder of journalists.
Read 4 tweets
Jun 10
🧵(long thread)

"I think the most important thing is to change the Zionist narrative a bit, which says that this place was a wasteland. There was never a wasteland here. People lived all over (what is now) the State of Israel, starting from Tel Aviv University which sits on Sheikh Muwannis, and all the way to this entire area ("Gaza Envelope". You have to understand it was all mud huts, it was very easy for them to drive a bulldozer, raze the huts, and then there's nothing left."

I’d been meaning to post this thread for several months now but never got around to it. I think that now, after Haim Perry, the person quoted above, died in al-Qassam's captivity in Gaza, most likely in an Israeli air raid, it is about time I do it.
-------------------------------------------
Last January a photo circulated on social media showing an Israeli soldier in Gaza mockingly pretend to be reading “Atlas of Palestine,” a comprehensive book on historical Palestine and the Nakba written by Palestinian researcher Salman Abu-Sitta.
I wanted to write a tweet about the photo and was curious to see where Abu-Sitta was born.

I found out that he, like most of the Gaza Strip population, is a refugee, from a family uprooted by Zionist forces in 1948. Abu-Sitta was born in the village of Khirbet al-Ma'in/Ma'in Abu Sitta, between modern day kibbutzim Nirim and Nir Oz, in the so-called “Gaza Envelope.” He and his family were forced to flee across the new border, into what is now called “The Gaza Strip”. The only building that survived the destruction of the village was the local school, built by Salman's father in 1920.

I was then surprised to learn that one of the Israeli hostages, Haim Perry, was actually running a gallery in the old village school, now called “The White House” by Jewish residents of the area. Abandoned and neglected for many years, the building was cleaned and renovated in 1999 by Perry and some of his fellow “kibbutzniks.”

To my even greater surprise, I learned that 5 years ago Perry hosted an exhibition by Eitan Bronstein Aparicio, the founder of Zochrot organization - an institution dedicated to educating and raising awareness about the Nakba and the Palestinian Right of Return. The exhibition commemorated the uprooted village of al-Mai'n, and sparked heated debates among locals. Perry had agreed to host the exhibition despite objections from some kibbutz members and from the head of the regional council.

The leftist-oriented, now defunct media outlet Social TV published a video report about the exhibition back in 2019. I found this piece fascinating to watch especially now, after the shit majorly hit the fan.

A couple of weeks later, I went to see “The White House,” al-Ma'in Abu Sitta's old school. The whole area was still almost desolate, except for A LOT of Israeli army forces. The gallery was closed and seemed deserted. I took some pictures of the house and the statues outside, and tried to picture a different future, while the ground below me kept shaking from Israeli artillery shells being fired into Gaza to murder those who were driven out from where I stood. And their children, and grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

One of the people who can be seen in the Social TV video is Oded Lifshitz, who is still in captivity in Gaza, presumably, and hopefully still alive. His wife Yocheved Lifshitz was a hostage as well and was freed by al-Qassam Brigades in October. Oded is a political activist, who, already in the early 70's, protested against the expulsion of Palestinians & Sinai Bedouins, and the plans to build Israeli settlements in the Sinai & Gaza Strip.

I hope that one day, soon, we'll see the Abu-Sitta family able to return to its lands in al-Ma'in Abu Sitta, and Oded return to his family's embrace alive. It is possible; I truly believe it is.

Check out the thread below for more info and photos.
"What I’ve seen here today was very moving and even painful. In spite of living here more then 35 years I feel the need and the hope to return to the land and revive it with the past emotions, to revive it with the culture and customs of yours, the residents.

A land is not a brick. A land is value, is roots, is a love to a place. There’s no room for deportation. My heart is with you.

Efrat Katz, Nir Oz."
-------------------------------------------------------
As part of the exhibition, visitors were invited to write a letter to the Palestinian refugees of Abu Sitta. Efrat Katz, a (then) 65 year old woman from nearby kibbutz Nir Oz, wrote this moving letter.
Dr. Salman Abu Sitta, who later wrote about the exhibition () called Efrat's letter "a tiny ray of hope".

On the morning of October 7th, Efrat, her partner Gadi Mozes, her daughter and her two granddaughters were all abducted to Gaza from their home in Nir Oz. As they were on a tractor on their way to captivity, an Israeli helicopter opened fire on them and murdered Efrat. Her daughter and granddaughters were thankfully returned as part of the large hostage deal. Gadi Mozes is still held hostage. Three months ago he turned 80 while in captivity.

In the photos: Efrat's letter to the uprooted residents of al-Ma'in and a photo of her and her partner, Gadi Mozes.mondoweiss.net/2019/09/denial…Image
Photos of al-Ma'in Abu Sitta's school / The White House galleryImage
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(