Arthur Juliani Profile picture
Apr 16 12 tweets 4 min read Read on X
How can we account for the diverse profile of subjective and therapeutic effects which psychedelics seem to induce? In a new preprint (link below), we present theoretical and empirical evidence which point to the need to look beyond just the 5-HT2a receptor. A thread 🧵...

1/12
Classic psychedelics all have significant affinity for both the 5-HT2a *and* 5-HT1a receptors. Although 5-HT2a is responsible for the main psychedelic effects, 5-HT1a also plays a significant modulating role. We set out to computationally characterize both of these roles.

2/12 Image
To do so, we adopt the predictive processing framework and an energy-based model in which neural responses are the result of an optimization process on an energy landscape. During inference 'energy' is minimized, and during learning the 'predictive error' is minimized.

3/12 Image
Within this framework, many mental disorders (depression, OCD, etc) are understood as pathologies of optimization. Overly-precise and maladaptive priors manifest as local minima with steep gradients within the energy landscape, a phenomenon sometimes called canalization.

4/12
We model 5-HT2a as injecting noise into the energy landscape, and 5-HT1a as smoothing it. The former results in acute overfitting during inference, while the latter in acute underfitting. Since many psychedelic (PSI, LSD, DMT) are mixed agonists, both happen simultaneously.

5/12 Image
The overfitting of 5-HT2a is a special form of transient belief strengthening, one which has the typical neural signature of increased cortical entropy. The underfitting of 5-HT1a is a form of acute belief relaxation, and alone would only weakly increase cortical entropy.

6/12 Image
In our model, we find that 5-HT2a is responsible for long-term therapeutic effects, but at the cost of short-term acute tolerability. In contrast, 5-HT1a is acutely therapeutic and tolerable, but provides little long-term efficacy. Things get interesting when you mix both.

7/12 Image
In our model mixed agonists have greater long-term efficacy than 5-HT2a alone, while also being significantly more acutely tolerable. We find that if you want to optimize for both long-term and acute therapeutic effects an optimal agonism bias is towards 5-HT1a over 5-HT2a.

8/12 Image
5-MeO-DMT, a highly-biased 5-HT1a agonist, has received clinical attention for its potential to treat depression. Likewise for the co-administering of MDMA and LSD. There is a whole space of biased 5-HT1a agonists such as 5-MeO-MIPT which may also be worth exploring.

9/12
Our work points to the importance of non-5HT2a receptor targets in the efficacy and tolerability of psychedelic therapy. Perhaps not surprisingly, the tryptamines have this profile, and the clinical success of psilocybin may be attributable to its unique mixed profile.

10/12
I am truly grateful to my wonderful collaborators @VeronicaChelu, @lgraesser3, and @adamsafron who worked to make this project possible. I also want to thank @algekalipso for providing consultation on the phenomenology of 5-MeO-DMT in the early formulation of this work.

11/12 Image
The preprint contains many more details and results. I encourage folks to check it out and let us know their thoughts. Our model makes a number of untested predictions, and we hope that it can encourage valuable new lines of inquiry going forward.

12/12biorxiv.org/content/10.110…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Arthur Juliani

Arthur Juliani Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @awjuliani

Apr 12, 2022
Happy to share a new pre-print: arxiv.org/abs/2204.05133 from @kaixhin, @shuxnys, @kanair, and I. In it, we try to engage with the neuroscience and philosophy of conscious function, in the hope of providing a positive vision of an AI research program inspired by that work. A 🧵...
This work was a long time coming, with ideas first percolating back in last summer when I first joined Araya. We were happy to see the lively discussion on twitter a couple months ago around the topic, and glad we can finally share our perspective...
"Consciousness" is a complicated hydra of a topic. Instead of focusing on phenomenal consciousness with all of its metaphysical and ethical implications, we focus instead on conscious access and conscious function (as Daniel Dennett put it “what is consciousness for?”)...
Read 13 tweets
Jan 3, 2022
Inspired by the impressive results of OpenAI's GLIDE arxiv.org/abs/2112.10741, I decided to dive into denoising diffusion models last week. I spent a couple days implementing the original model from Ho et al., 2020 (link below), and learned a lot in the process. 🧵 1/5
The idea behind these models is very clever, and they can be implemented straightforwardly as well. Put simply, you just train a model to predict the noise added to an image. Once trained, you iteratively use that model to go from random noise a generated sample. 2/5
I open-sourced my code which you can check out here: github.com/awjuliani/pyto…. It is written in PyTorch/Lightning and works with MNIST and CIFAR datasets. As long as you have a GPU, you can train the generative model for these datasets in a matter of minutes. 3/5
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(