Sierkovitz Profile picture
Jun 14 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Early data can be misleading. And in MH3 we have a great case study for that.

Dimir.

On the face of it, it has a middling 54% win rate. In the middle of the pack of 6 lowest win rate archetypes. But scratch the surface and you might have a diamond in there.

1/6 Image
Firstly, despite the decks winning only 54% of the games, individual cards do well. 8 commons have a GiH WR >59%.

Pairs with similar WR don’t reach this level. UG has 5 such commons. BR - 2. UR, BG and WB only 1. That is a significant difference.

2/6 Image
And some of those commons have impressive win rates. Deem Inferior is at 62.5% , Sneaky Snacker, Accursed Marauder and Serum Visionary are over 60%. Those are solid numbers for cards that go late in draft. Kind of numbers that suggest a well drafted UB deck is competitive.

3/6
And the uncommons also deliver. Depth Defiler and Marionette Apprentice clock at >62% and some late going uncommons like Mindless Conscription and Brainsurge Do well over 58% too.

And yet win rate is low. Why is it so?

4/6
The most likely explanation? Bad builds dominate the data. And they cover archetype win rate. But bad builds don’t have the right cards in them, so individual card win rates shine. 5/6
Dimir shows promise and also shows us that looking at the color pair win rates can potentially be misleading - yet again turns out context is key.

UB won’t be the top archetype but data suggests it is much further from the bottom than data suggests if you know what you’re doing.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Sierkovitz

Sierkovitz Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Sierkovitz

Oct 20
Omniscience draft sounds like a coin-flip, but it isn't as it currently stands. If you think that who is on the play, wins - you are probably losing some value there. Also - you will probably have ~20% win rate against me. It took several drafts, but I think nailed it now. 1/9 Image
First thing: the meta plan. Everyone figured out card draw is good. But this is only layer 1. Layer 2 is disruption. Counters and discard. Layer 3 is the inevitability. You want to build your deck so that after your turn oppo is locked. Hellbent against a counter or dead. 2/9
OK - Layer 1. Obvious choices are Drowned Diner and Derilict Attic - no limit on those in the deck. But Ricketty Gazebo and Glimmerburst are as good. Jam the deck full of those. 3/9 Image
Read 10 tweets
Oct 6
It is time to help constructed community with data and look at the RC DC metagame and win rates in Pioneer. Let's start with the tournament-wide win rates for the top 10 played decks. As you can see top 4 played decks did reasonably well, but MonoB was the real winner at 54%. 1/7 Image
Notable flops were Greasefang and MonoG (not that @DanaFischerMTG cares - congrats). Also Rakdos Transmogrify and Jund Sac underperformed.

Of the top 4 played decks, Rakdos Aggro did best at 52.1% but Azorius Control, Phoenix and Enigmatic Incarnation were close behind. 2/7
But that doesn't tell the full story - plenty of other decks were played. Here are the next 10 archetypes. Here we have 3 notable flops: Boros Control, Gruul Aggro and MonoW Humans. But also 2 outstanding performances with Rakdos Cauldron and Selesnya Company. 3/7 Image
Read 7 tweets
Sep 18
Hot takes time! Everyone is loving Manifest Dread so time to put it down a notch. This thread I will air all my doubts about the new mechanic. Don't misunderstand me - I am not claiming it is rubbish but I think we shouldn't be forgetting downsides. 1/11 Image
Tagged along many spells in the format, MD lets you look at the top 2 cards of your library and put one of them face down. If it is a creature, you can turn it face up any time for its casting cost. That is neat. But is it broken? 2/11 Image
First: how often you will get a creature? If you have a land face down, you produced a vanilla 2/2 - not bad but not amazing. Here are the average probabilities of hitting 1 or more creatures when casting Manifest Dread spell on t2 depending on no. of creatures in your deck. 3/11 Image
Read 12 tweets
Sep 13
Today a bit of a deep dive into a never-explored draft data, so please give me comments on how you like it and what would be interested in this area. We go deep on game play stats dug out from the murky depths of replay data on 17L. And it is all about turn 5.

Why turn 5? 1/21 Image
It is late enough in the game to have loads of data, but not so late that I have to exclude too many games. And I excluded every game that ended t5 or earlier, so keep in mind - all the most lopsided games are not in this analysis, something to keep in mind. 2/21
What did I do? Well, I looked at games on play and draw. What creatures were in play at the start. What creatures were there at the end. Which creatures attacked, died, were cast during the turn. And analysed any trends in there. 3/21
Read 22 tweets
Oct 16, 2023
WotC announced a new type of product that will combine Set Boosters and Draft Boosters. We don't have 100% info, but there is a significant chunk we do know. How will the new product impact draft? Not by much at first sight. 1/12 Image
Firstly, WotC focused on the fact that you could potentially open up to 4 rares in a pack. Yes, theoretically it is true. But realistically - it probably is a once several boxes experience. To look at it, we need to see what would need to happen. 2/12
One rare/mythic slot is a given. You also have the common/list slot. It is a regular common 87.5% of the time - 7 times per 8 packs. So on average in 3 packs per draft you will open something else. But even in those cases, you will still open mostly commons.

Why?

3/12
Read 12 tweets
Oct 12, 2023
Main complaint about data in Magic are absolute opinions. "This card is busted because it has a high wr". You hear such arguments all the time. Using data as a hammer to quench any discussion annoys me too. This thread aims to look at win rate with a bit more subtlety. 1/19 Image
First - let's rethink what a win rate is. In its simplified view it will frequently look like this: Titanic Growth has a good Game in Hand Win Rate in RG decks. It is the 4th best common in those decks so I guess it is just a good RG card. 2/19 Image
This simplified view will sometimes be true. Some cards are just good and you should always play them. But sometimes it is not. And that is where the problems start arising. In order to avoid falling into this trap, what helps me is to reimagine what win rate is. 3/19
Read 18 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(