John Scott-Railton Profile picture
Jul 9 10 tweets 6 min read Read on X
NEW: @TheJusticeDept just disrupted a Russian-run AI-enabled Twitter disinformation bot farm.

Almost 1000 accounts on @X.

Masqueraded as Americans & promoted Russian government narratives.

Fascinating sleuthing behind this 1/
justice.gov/opa/pr/justice…

2/ The investigation behind this Russian political interference takedown is interesting.

First, the @FBI got account registration info for a slice of fake accounts on @X

They found a lot of email accounts registered on the same server.

So they went to the registrar...
@FBI @X 3/ While the domain registrar (Namecheap) had a bunch of account registration information for the @FBI, the info was a fake name and some alias information.

Strike out? No. The FBI began a subpoena cascade, starting with the Google account used to register the domain. Image
@FBI @X 4/ @FBI had a tasty find from first gmail subpoena: Moscow IP address.

That was just the beginning: ubpoena cascade led through 2 more emails to a phone number.

Which they say they found in widely-leaked Russian tax & mobile subscriber information.

And got the operator. Image
@FBI @X 5/ Simultaneously, a jointly issued* a technical advisory provided detail on identifying Russian AI-generated personas.

Likely reflects their conclusion that the Russians won't stop.

*🇺🇸@FBI @CNMF_CyberAlert 🇨🇦@cybercentre_ca 🇳🇱@AIVD @Defensie @Politie
ic3.gov/Media/News/202…

6/ The Russian Bot takedown, some notes:

☑️ Foreign efforts to shape Americans' perceptions via bots continue on @X despite Musk claims.

☑️AI is now a key disinformation op. tool.

☑️ Total # of accounts is small vs. @X universe, BUT doesn't rule out outside impact when well targeted.
7/ Cont'd:

☑️Takedowns & accompanying advisory suggest that US & allies are trying various techniques like these disruptions and seizures... because the operators are currently beyond their direct reach.

Expect the operators to learn, evolve & come right back targeting the US.
8/ Russia is one of many countries now swamping @X with AI-driven bots to shape perceptions.

Even smaller countries operations flourish & aren't taken down after being identified.

Want proof? Check the accounts in this campaign for yourself.👇

9/ Oh, and in case you missed it, Russia Today @RT_com involvement is alleged all over this bot farm, from origins to cover stories.

Source: justice.gov/d9/2024-07/aff…

10. The "another US government agency" is an interesting element to the affidavit. So is framing of credibility & reliability.

Speculating wildly that it isn't @USFWS

Further speculating: this suggests a high level effort to break silos & get key information out quickly. Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with John Scott-Railton

John Scott-Railton Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jsrailton

Aug 25
WARNING: Account impersonating the popular @harris_wins now has a blue check.

Top result is a copycat with 72k+ followers that spreads inflammatory falsehoods.

Genuine account isn't even the first search result. Please report: ❌@kamala_wins47Image
2/ This copycat regularly & misleadingly claims censorship to request amplification.

Over 200k people saw this particular misinformation, thousands more amplified it.

The account should never have been verified, and it astonishes me that @Safety hasn't pulled it yet. Image
3/ More false claims every few hours = more dilution of reality & partisan polarization.

All to sell... mugs & shirts.

Tip: you can find some related accounts by searching for "bestusatee" (online storefront this spammer is using)

Read 5 tweets
Aug 25
Misunderstandings about #Telegram & encryption are already shaping the conversation about Pavel Durov's detention. So, here's a primer.

Telegram is often seen as an "encrypted messenger" but for many users it functions a lot more like an unencrypted social network. 1/
2/ Remember, most #Telegram features are not end-to-end-encrypted, e.g.:

No e2e encrypted by default:
❌Regular messages

Never e2ee:
❌ Groups
❌Channels

E2ee only when you opt into:
✅ Secret chats

If you see an❌ this means that Telegram can/could access the contents.
3/ Absence of end-to-end encryption across much of the platform means #Telegram has the keys & could technically be compelled to moderate & give governments access to that user activity.

The potential for access inevitably draws gov attention to #Telegram & CEO Pavel Durov.
Read 6 tweets
Aug 21
NEW: Researchers find microplastics in human brains.

Moreover, shards of microplastics in autopsied brain tissue increased between samples collected in 2016 vs. 2024.

Frontal cortex tissue (executive function, learning & memory, judgement...) concentrations were 7-30x those previously found in livers & kidneys.

Incredibly alarming potential implications for #AlzheimersDisease, dementia, blood brain barrier health etc.

Caveats: early days in methodology for spotting & characterizing these particle loads & understanding their impacts on brain health.

And that's just focusing on the physical particles.

There's a whole second disturbing tier of questions around what potentially toxic compounds like plasticizers will leach from #microplastics, especially as the particle size gets smaller.

Preprint: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P…Image
2/ There doesn't appear to be a place on earth that hasn't got a microplastics load.

Dust in the atmosphere? Yep. The ocean? Yep. Creatures in it? Yep. Ocean breezes by the seashore? Yep.

Now our brains.

It's like the radioisotopes from atmospheric nuclear testing. Only there's no test ban in sight, and more are pouring into the ecosystem with every moment.

But the impact on us and our world are shockingly ill- understood.
3/ There is no home test for #microplastics.

If it existed, people would be demanding action.

We are in a honeymoon of mostly-ignorance.
Read 7 tweets
Aug 14
NEW: sophisticated phishing targets Russia's perceived enemies around the globe.

Targets were sent credible approaches pretending to be friends & colleagues.

Here's why we say 🇷🇺#Russia's spies are responsible 1/🧵

Collaboration between us @citizenlab & @accessnow, with @DeptFirst, Arjuna Team &

REPORT: RESIDENT.ngo
citizenlab.ca/2024/08/sophis…Image
2/ Here's a typical attack: an email comes in, seemingly from a colleague you know well. It sounds like them.

They want you to look at an attached document.

But there's a twist: there is no attachment!

This is intentional, and clever...Image
3/. You've been taught to be suspicious of messages with attachments and links. Good.

But this email from your colleague has no attachment.

Not as suspicious. What hacker would forget to send an attachment?

The 'mistake' is to lure you into helpfully replying to let your colleague know that they forgot to attach the file.

Once you've bitten and reply back, the attacker sends you a file that looks 'encrypted'.Image
Read 13 tweets
Aug 7
People saying a lot of things about Gov. Tim Walz.

Like that he's a map nerd.

And as a map nerd, I was skeptical.

Until I spotted an @Esri* tote bag being loaded into his motorcade yesterday.

Rumor: confirmed.

*(ESRI: Biggest maker of Geographic Information Systems software)Image
2/ “A geographically illiterate member of the United States Congress is a very scary proposition,” he said.

Me nodding along so hard I hurt my neck.

minnesotareformer.com/2024/08/06/for…

3/ Gov Tim Walz talks about a detailed map portfolio to track progress on key issues in the state.

I looked, and it is pretty cool stuff.

Everything from school meals & burdensome housing costs, to child care needs and availability, job growth, unemployment and even internet speed.

Browse yourself: experience.arcgis.com/experience/c44…Image
Read 6 tweets
Aug 2
Website backed by billionaire solicits detailed info with a "Register to Vote" button.

But won't send voters to genuine voter registration sites if they are in a battleground state.

Oh, and the billionaire is Elon Musk.

By @schwartzbCNBC
cnbc.com/2024/08/02/elo…Image
WOW: Here's Elon Musk's America PAC bait-and-switch voter registration page.

It showed me: "Voter Registration It takes less than two minutes to register"

I entered information saying I was from Michigan and it solicited a lot of detailed personal information

Then it was over. It did not send me to an official voter registration page.Image
On the other hand, on Musk's America PAC website if I enter my zip code as a non-competitive state like Tennessee...

Unlike for Michigan, I am not shown a form requesting detailed personal information.

Instead, I am instantly offered to the Tennessee state official formImage
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(