Suspiciously Fluffy Fella 🐶 Profile picture
Jul 18 12 tweets 5 min read Read on X
1/ Short 🧵 on elections and felon candidates for all my American fellas.

I am Italian and I lived through the Berlusconi era. In a lot of ways Berlusconi was to Italy what Trump is to the USA.
If you want to know what will happen, look at Italy 20 years ago. Image
2/ Like Trump, Berlusconi was an entrepreneur who decided to enter politics on his own agenda, was misunderstood and underestimated by his enemies, had a LOT of trouble with justice, but nonetheless gathered unbelievable support from the people. Image
3/ B. was investigated and often tried on many different subjects: money laundering, mafia affiliation, corruption, entertaining himself with underage prostitutes...you name it. But these setbacks with justice NEVER EVER eroded the political support he had. Never. Image
4/ two reasons for that: owning half of the mainstream TV channels let him build his own narrative as a "victim of biased justice", and his way to communicate so down-to-earth earned him the sympathy of many people who saw others, not him, as old corrupt politicians. Image
5/ B. was able to always portrait himself as external to politics due to his private business in TV and football. Thus every time he got investigated or tried he blamed corrupt politicians and leftist justices who wanted to rid themselves of him. Image
6/ note that once this game started it became a life-or-death thing. B. Was forced to remain in politics to avoid jail, and needed to govern to make laws beneficial to himself and his business. There was no other option for him. T. Is now in the same situation. Image
7/ B. hijacked the right-wing for over 20 years, losing his grip only when his old age and another huge sex scandal drove large parts of voters away. But here's the most interesting thing: eve in his golden age people rarely admitted voting for B. Image
8/ elections in Italy are fair. There's no questioning it, and no risk of rigging. But during the early years and later on too, apparently NOBODY voted for B. You asked your friends, coworkers, relatives, neighbours... nobody said "I am a B. supporter". Yet he had over 25% votes, Image
9/ meaning that people were ASHAMED of him, ashamed of voting for him, and yet they voted for him. A liar? Yes. A conman? Yes. A mafia man? Maybe. Are you voting for him? No (yes, I will, but I'll never tell a soul). Why and how did this happen? Image
10/ B. portrayed himself as a successful man, a self-made man, a friend of common people, a victim of political bullying, a victim of biased justice, and NOT a politician. People loved him for this. His adversaries were never able to understand or mimic his communication. Image
11/ Where am I going with this? I don't really know. I just wanted to tell you: if you want to understand T., look at B. If you think that a conman, convict, and serial liar cannot win elections you are in for a nasty surprise. People will vote for him regardless. Image
12/ oh, and cherry on top. B. himself was once attacked, left with a bloody face, sported a large bandage and earned additional support. Everything you are going through, I (we) have seen it before. 👀 Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Suspiciously Fluffy Fella 🐶

Suspiciously Fluffy Fella 🐶 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @frances94354144

Jul 1
Short 🧵 about 🇨🇵
I don't understand the media-sponsored doom & gloom over the French parliamentary election. It looks like nobody knows how the French political system works.
1. France is a presidential republic, with separate elections for the president & parliament.
They are voting now for parliament, not for the president. This means that until Macron is president (next 4 years) there will be no major shifts in French foreign policy anyway.
2. France has mixed double turn elections. Whatever happens in the first round may be easily undone,
in particular when the "wings" are involved, because the wings are less likely to attract votes in the 2nd round. The only way for right-wing RN to win a majority is getting a lot of votes from the left, which seems obviously unlikely.
Read 9 tweets
Feb 6
1/ Short 🧵
I am happy to see that Europe is stepping up its support for Ukraine: artillery shells, rocket launchers, warplanes, missiles, IFVs. That's a lot.
We are reacting to the US betrayal of democracy, and we are doing it collectively. Europe is taking its place on the Image
2/ international stage as a union, rather than a loose bunch of countries. The US is committing suicide like Europe did in 1914. When European powers finally fell, the US stepped in. Western Europe has been in the US sphere of influence for almost a century, and it was not Image
3/ allowed to have its own armies, its own nukes, its own strategy. Americans complaining that the EU neglected its armies forget that it was part of the US plan. After WW2 only the UK and France were allowed to have real armies & their own nukes. Italy & Germany were not. Image
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(