typecraft Profile picture
Oct 4 13 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Giving a workshop at #RailsWorld was incredible.

But there is a story behind how I got here, and I want to share it with you all. Maybe it will help some of you. This is the story of typecraft (in a deeply personal thread that no one asked for...) Giving a Workshop at #railsworld!
As a kid (Yes I am going back THAT far), I was IN LOVE with gaming, AND computers. I would spend countless hours playing games, and researching computer upgrades. It was my obsession. But, there are problems with obsession. A young nerd...
My obsession made me a very isolated and introverted kid. I never REALLY developed the skills to make friends, or find my own personality. I was so wrapped up in gaming and computers, I never worked on my social skills. Which brings me to college...
College was horrible for me. Hindsight is 20:20, but looking back, I suffered a LOT of mental health issues in school. I was lonely, isolated, couldn’t make friends, and… sad overall. I suffered from massive anxiety on a daily basis. College, for me, was a 4-year long existential crisis.College was not fun for me.
Graduating college only mildly improved my circumstances. I didn’t know what I wanted in life, I just “liked computers” so I jumped around from job to job.

But eventually I witnessed an amazing thing. I saw people creating a web app in real time!! It was amazing -- I didn’t know you could be so creative with programming. later I learned this was a technology called “Ruby on Rails”...
Eventually I found the famous “build a blog in 15 minutes” video from @dhh . It blew me away, and I spent the next few years teaching myself how to write web applications.

It was tough. Because although I loved computers my whole life, programming was new to me. But after years of hard work, I finally got my first job as a rails dev (shoutout to @robert_beene for hiring me btw).My first rails job!
Through programming, I found an amazing community. I found some amazing friends (like my biz partner @robert_beene who hired me many years ago). I found my career, and to some extent, my purpose. But I wanted to do more with myself…
I wanted to give something back to people. Much like Ryan Bates in my generation, I wanted to make videos for people to help with their programming journey. And after a few attempts, typecraft was born.

But then, the craziest thing happened... One of the VERY FIRST typecraft videos!
Someone happened to see a video I made, and enjoyed it enough to share it with all of his followers. This person was @dhh himself! The man who inspired me to start programming. And he actually enjoyed something I MADE? this was insane

but it only got more insane... Image
DHH actually reached out, and invited us to come give a workshop at #RailsWorld in Toronto! The last weekend was a blur, I got to meet my idol, meet some amazing people, and say hi to everyone who knew me from youtube (which is still crazy to me, btw). Image
I went from an introverted, anxious, lonely kid to eventually speaking at Rails World. It was an amazing journey, an incredible moment, and something I wouldn't trade for anything. Image
I want you all to know something. If you're in a tough spot in your life, please keep going. If you keep your head up, and keep working, you’ll get to wherever you need to be. I promise. Image
Thanks, Nerds

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with typecraft

typecraft Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(