I mean seriously: THEY ARE THE ONES IN CHARGE AND THEY HAVE *NO PLAN* AND THEIR OWN PARTY IS MIRED IN CONFUSION AND STRIFE, HOW IN THE NAME OF THATCHER CAN THEY BE TRYING TO EMBARRASS ANYONE ELSE? Sorry for the all caps but how can they not be hiding behind the sofas in shame??
- Yeah, hi, Colin the plumber? Yeah, I've paid you to unblock my sink but you're sat there & there's water everywhere & the toilet's backed up and I'm £400 down & nothing's happening
- Yeah but I heard you & your wife arguing over who's emptying the dishwasher so THERE'S THAT
Given the barking madness we've been hearing today from the ERG about a "world trade deal" here's another reminder of how world trade really works and why the world has moved on from multilateral to bilateral and regional deals. [thread]
The WTO is a safety net (which is currently under serious threat from Trump). It represents a baseline, a foundation upon which more ambitious trade agreements have been built. Ditching those more ambitious deals and falling back to the baseline is not progress, it's regression.
The WTO Uruguay Round (finalised in 1995) was the high water mark in multilateral trade deals. We tried to go further - the Seattle and Doha rounds, remember? - but we couldn't. It was too hard. So global free traders including notably the EU took things up a notch.
SUCCESS! Less than 48 hours after calling out Twitter publicly, it seems that those who choose to follow me are now mysteriously SHOWING UP in the numbers!
See? When you demand transparency, good things happen. (Continued)
If you are confused, let me explain. The images attached are from 48 hours ago, and from today. 100+ new people follow here each day, however, for unknown reasons, Twitter was not showing accurate numbers. Obviously I could see the real numbers behind the scenes.
Knowing what the real numbers were, I publicly asked Twitter to review the issue.
Whether or not they did, isn’t known. But now at least the numbers of new subscribers coming in are a little more accurate!
I follow the rules, don’t use bots or any garbage like that.
Several of my followers have asked for my thoughts on John McCain. Out of respect for the family, I chose to remain silent until after all the funerals and ceremonies were completed and the family had time to grieve out of the public spotlight.
However, the incessant lionizing of the man has changed my mind. So, this will be the definitive thread about the man, Senator John McCain. Before I write anything further, I want to expose my biases up front. I despise the man. Always have.
Perhaps it’s because I’ve known things about him for a long time that many of you may be unaware of. Having said that, I’m going to treat him as fairly as I can, using only facts as much as possible, to present to you the REAL John McCain.
I supported Bernier when he launched his recent multiculturalism tweet storm. I got mad at Scheer for playing defense on it instead of embracing it and fighting Liberals & their MSM partners with it. I though he should reach out to Bernier and find a way to channel his message.
1. They say the leave side lied in the #Brexit referendum. As it happens, everybody did. That's what politics is. Lying. It's a fight between you, me and the swamp. It's always a battle for the disengaged middle. This is why Jacob Rees-Mogg lies so brazenly.
2. The man is no idiot. The man knows his lies are transparent to anyone with half a clue. But he knows his target audience doesn't have any clue at all. The image he projects has an air of authority. It's about getting people to believe in him.
3. He certainly doesn't give a flying fuck about the people he is using. The disengaged middle are just a political resource to be used for as long as is convenient. No lie is too big so long has he gets his version of Brexit.
1. It's no secret that I hold the #Brexit blob in utter contempt. They are charlatans and liars. The ones who aren't thick as shit, that is. Rees-Mogg is a lying hypocrite, and hard Brexit stands on a foundation of intellectual sand.
2. These are the people who never needed to study the impacts or the mechanics of Brexit because they are financially and politically insulated from its effects. Consequently their knowledge of the EU is minimal.
3. I have been a reader of EU affairs for a decade or more now and there is still much to learn and even I didn't realise the extend of EU integration. Where technical governance is concerned, practically every industry is governed by the EU to one extent or other.
Alot of people are drawing comparisons between trump win the brexit referendum & #repealedthe8th. I think there are important takeaways from the campaign for other groups moving forward, but we should remember, that this referendum was a long time coming.
Speaking personally the 8th was a factor in my political life since my early teens. I remember spotting @taraobrien1 marching against the referendum in '93. This ref was the culmination of a campaign that kicked into gear with the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar 5 yrs ago