Some pretty interesting things here about the IARC glyphosate decision: (ht @tamarhaspel) reuters.com/investigates/s…
As a rule, I' uncomfortable comparing 'draft' documents with final docs, because we don't know the deliberation leading to those changes.
It is pretty common for conclusions to change from positive to neutral, or neutral to negative, etc. when reviewing data.
So the fact that these changes were made in the IARC document isn't evidence of any kind of wrong-doing or cover up, IMO.
BUT: I think the changes that were made and are reported by Reuters here expose some double standards from the IARC panel.
IARC excluded data that it knew provided evidence of non-carcinogenity because it wasn't yet published. reuters.com/investigates/s…
But in reviewing the published studies, they repeatedly deleted study conclusions from the published works' conclusion, and inserted this:
One would assume the reason IARC only reviewed published studies was because they wanted to rely on the peer-review process.
But IARC repeatedly dismissed the conclusions of those peer-reviewed studies whenever they found glyphosate non-carcinogenic.
So they wouldn't accept positive data bc it wasn't published, AND they wouldn't accept positive results from published articles without data
I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but that is a pretty odd set of choices to make, if the goal is really to figure out the truth.
I understand the desire to reanalyze old studies, since methods change. Updated analyses of those older studies can be useful. BUT...
If the plan was to re-analyze the published data anyway, then I see no reason to exclude additional data on the basis it wasn't published.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr. Andrew Kniss 🌱

Dr. Andrew Kniss 🌱 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @WyoWeeds

9 Apr
I've been trying to figure out that recent paper in @ScienceMagazine about pesticide toxicity over the last few days. There are a few things that don't make sense to me, so I'm going to make a thread here as kind of my scratch pad. Maybe I'll write a blog post about it later.
In general, the approach they took is ok. They basically used the same quotient approach that I used in my recent herbicide toxicity paper. nature.com/articles/ncomm…
Read 27 tweets
6 May 20
I just finished analyzing some long-term crop yield data. I should probably publish it somewhere, but that'll take forever and require more writing and there's a solid chance I'll never get around to it. So I'm just going to drop all the plots right here. THREAD:
First I want to acknowledge all the data came from USDA-NASS (quickstats.nass.usda.gov). It is a very rich data source and we should keep them well-funded.
Crop yield trends in the U.S. since 1960.
* Y-axis is yield, in whatever units USDA records them in (either bushels/acre, pounds/acre, or tons/acre).
* each point is the crop yield from one state, darker points = more acres in that state.
* Red line is the national yield trend
Read 26 tweets
11 Sep 19
"Let me just open up this tomato canopy with my bare, unprotected arms so that I may direct this pesticide spray directly onto the tomato."
alamy.com/stock-photo-yo…
"Sometimes I like to hold the spray nozzle close to me and pretend that I am peeing out the pesticides onto the tomato plants." alamy.com/stock-image-yo…
"To ensure proper coverage of the plant with this pesticide, I place my bare, unprotected left hand underneath the spray nozzle. When I feel pesticides drop onto my skin (where they can absorb into my blood stream) then I know I've sprayed just enough." alamy.com/stock-image-yo…
Read 5 tweets
6 Jun 19
@tedlieu Hi Congressman Lieu. Can we chat about this? About what it would actually mean to completely stop the use of this herbicide?
@tedlieu Because I understand that a lot of people are concerned. I consider myself among those who are concerned about potential health effects of pesticides in general, and this herbicide in particular.
@tedlieu I don't think anyone who doesn't sell glyphosate is very excited about how ubiquitous glyphosate is. You could make a pretty strong argument that we absolutely use too much of it. In fact, I've made that argument before. I think we've become way too reliant on herbicides.
Read 24 tweets
14 May 19
Did you know that weeds can reduce crop yield EVEN IF the weeds don't actually use resources the crop needs? Our paper describing this phenomenon in Beta vulgaris is 'officially' published today in Weed Science. cambridge.org/core/journals/…
If you know anything about weeds, it is that they use water, nutrients, and light that the crop needs. And if the weeds use these necessary resources, then the crop can't have them. And this is true - but it is just *one way* that weeds reduce crop yield.
But plants interact in other ways too. Plants can 'sense' other plants around them. And if they sense other plants around, many plants will start to grow differently.
Read 18 tweets
4 Mar 19
"Kansas Weed Scientist" is like the Florida Man of weed science. No joke.

If there's a weed problem that doesn't exist yet, Kansas weed scientists are like "hold my beaker" then there's a press release 4 days later.
"Kansas Weed Scientists Confirm Novel Weed Resistance Mechanism That Can Only Be Killed With Pure, Concentrated Rage."

"Kansas Weed Scientists Place Last Remaining Hope for Sustainable Weed Management in Laser Beams Attached to Geese."
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!

:(