I mean seriously: THEY ARE THE ONES IN CHARGE AND THEY HAVE *NO PLAN* AND THEIR OWN PARTY IS MIRED IN CONFUSION AND STRIFE, HOW IN THE NAME OF THATCHER CAN THEY BE TRYING TO EMBARRASS ANYONE ELSE? Sorry for the all caps but how can they not be hiding behind the sofas in shame??
- Yeah, hi, Colin the plumber? Yeah, I've paid you to unblock my sink but you're sat there & there's water everywhere & the toilet's backed up and I'm £400 down & nothing's happening
- Yeah but I heard you & your wife arguing over who's emptying the dishwasher so THERE'S THAT
Given the barking madness we've been hearing today from the ERG about a "world trade deal" here's another reminder of how world trade really works and why the world has moved on from multilateral to bilateral and regional deals. [thread]
The WTO is a safety net (which is currently under serious threat from Trump). It represents a baseline, a foundation upon which more ambitious trade agreements have been built. Ditching those more ambitious deals and falling back to the baseline is not progress, it's regression.
The WTO Uruguay Round (finalised in 1995) was the high water mark in multilateral trade deals. We tried to go further - the Seattle and Doha rounds, remember? - but we couldn't. It was too hard. So global free traders including notably the EU took things up a notch.
With the offside trap position of the @APCNigeria@OfficialAPCNg on Presidency, they have shown us who represents the future of Nigeria in their own wisdom. It is up to the other 90 political parties to show us they have better ideas through internal party democracy. #Primaries
For the recovering @OfficialPDPNig a lot is expected of them. You have many promising aspirants & how this translates into a consensus candidate via a credible process is essential to making a believer of Nigerians. This may be a determining factor to the revival of the party.
For the rest of the upcoming parties, it is essential to identify your SWOT realistically and form an effective coalition. This is not a time for playing popularity contest. There must be a sacrifice more credible than being president if Change is truly desired.
1/ Hi. Your Friendly Neighborhood Trade Nerd here,
Many on both sides of the trade debate invoke the specter of WTO breaches, but few go on to explain the practicalities and consequences.
Hopefully this threat helps you put threats of the WTO's wrath in some real-world context.
*** Warning: This thread is super long. I try to make it interesting by telling it like a story, but we're discussing WTO Procedures and not the Battle of Stalingrad so you know, feel free to take a snack break. ***
2/ For this walk-through, I'm going to be using two hypotheticals:
One - As part of Brexit, the UK decides not to collect customs on the NI border;
Two - This decision is a breach of the WTO's Most Favoured Nation Principle (my definition here: explaintrade.com/glossary/#Most…)
Nick makes an important point that deserves some explanation. We have discussed the content of the “WTO option” - but what is the effect of WTO law? This is uncontested and for those hoping for WTO law to ride to the rescue - devastating (thread)
2) I will assume, for the purposes of this thread, that the WTO mandates that the EU and the UK reatain seamless trade: recognize each other’s standards, conformity assessment. Whatever you want. This is definitely not the case. I assume arguendo
3) Brexit day comes. EU imports show up on the UK border, UK imports show up on the EU border. What law will the customs officer look at? Only, only national law. They will not look at WTO law. If you say “but what about WTO law”? They’ll say: I look at my national rules.
Guess what? There's a family birthday on the weekend I have to celebrate, so we're doing a book chapter early.
A James Gregor's "Mussolini's Intellecutals"
Doctrinal Interlude: The Initiatic Racism of Julius Evola
Previously, geopolitical exigencies required the Fascists, virtually all of whom were Idealists or Catholics, to tolerate the Nazi's materialist strain of biological racism. Giovanni Gentile wasn't going to take it lying down though, and neither was a certain "superfascist."
"Wait, the 1930's? Didn't Italian dependence on Germany happen during the war?" No, because Mussolini made the most dire mistake possible: Trusting Anglos.
1. Yesterday, I tweeted about writing a series, and several replies were along the lines of OMG IF AN EDITOR WANTS ME TO CHANGE MY BOOK, I'M OUT. So I'm going to talk about that today, because it's important for those who wish to be traditionally published. First: bad news...
2. Let's say you write a book. You get an agent. Your agent thinks the book is flawless and requests no changes. She sells it to an editor. The editor thinks the book is flawless and requests no changes. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. STOP IMAGINING IT.
3. So if you want to be traditionally published, you've got to grow accustomed to having other cooks in your kitchen. That doesn't mean they're going to turn your pumpkin pie into a kale salad. That means they're going to make your stew more delicious. It's a team effort.