Daniel Dale Profile picture
Nov 9, 2017 15 tweets 3 min read
"It was 40 years ago," Alabama Marion County GOP chair David Hall tells me. "I really don't see the relevance of it. He was 32. She was supposedly 14. She's not saying that anything happened other than they kissed."
Me: "The story said she said he tried to get her to touch his genitals." Hall: "Well, she said he may have TRIED to. But we're talking something that somebody SAID happened, 40 years ago. It wouldn't affect whether or not I'd vote for him."
More Hall: “The other women that they’re using to corrobrate: number one, one was 19, one was 17, one was 16. There’s nothing wrong with a 30-year-old single male asking a 19-year-old, a 17-year-old, or a 16-year-old out on a date."
After a long pause, Alabama Bibb County Republican chairman Jerry Pow tells me he'd vote for Roy Moore even if Moore did commit a sex crime against a girl.

"I would vote for Judge Moore because I wouldn't want to vote for Doug," he says. "I'm not saying I support what he did."
“I really can’t comment until I have a chance to digest it," says Tallapoosa County GOP chairwoman Denise Bates. “Nothing to say," says Marengo County chairman Robert Duke.
Alabama Mobile County GOP chairman John Skipper: "It does not really surprise me. I think it is a typical Democratic - Democrat - ploy to discredit Judge Moore, a sincere, honest, trustworthy individual."
"These allegations that surfaced today - to my knowledge, they're all bunk. No credibility whatsoever," Mobile County Republican chairman John Skipper tells me.
If these allegations against Moore were true, Mitch McConnell's anti-Moore allies would have obviously found them and released them during the primary, Mobile County Republican chairman John Skipper tells me.
Alabama Covington County GOP Chairman William Blocker tells me Democrats convinced these women to tell a fake story to damage Moore.

I told him the 14-year-old became a Trump voter.

"That's the typical background or profile of somebody they would be using for that," he said.
"If they said she was a Hillary supporter, then she'd be more dismissed by the local voters here in the state of Alabama. You'd have to paint her as a Trump supporter to be of any credibility," Covington County GOP Chairman William Blocker says.
"Yeah!" Covington County GOP Chairman William Blocker tells me he'd consider voting Moore even if hard proof of sexual abuse emerged.

"There is NO option to support to support Doug Jones, the Democratic nominee. When you do that, you are supporting the entire Democrat party."
Tally from my calls to Alabama GOP county chairs: 4 vehemently pro-Moore, 3 no comment/"haven't read the story yet," 15 I couldn't reach, 0 criticism of Moore.
Postscript: GOP officer who'd vote Moore even if he was a proven sex offender refused in 2015 to accept the legalization of gay marriage, saying "it's wrong."
"Other than being with an underage person - he didn't really force himself," Alabama Geneva County GOP chairman Riley Seibenhener tells me. "I know that's bad enough, but I don't know. If he withdraws, it's five weeks to the election...that would concede it to the Democrat."
Alabama Geneva County GOP chairman Riley Seibenhener, who called me back, says he doesn't believe the allegations are true, but if they're true he won't support him - but, at the same time, it's not "forcible rape."

"I know that 14-year-olds don't make good decisions," he adds.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Daniel Dale

Daniel Dale Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ddale8

Jul 13
“Updating this viral story”
Read 4 tweets
Jul 7
Salon has now changed a 2021 headline that falsely said "DeSantis signs bill requiring Florida students, professors to register political views with state." The survey is optional for students/profs and anonymous (though some have expressed concerns about potential to be IDed).
The inaccurate Salon headline from last year went viral again in the past couple days, with some Democratic commentators and other prominent people, even including author Stephen King, sharing the false claim.
Salon's disclosure note, in quite small type, says this: "The headline for this article has been revised since its original publication to more accurately reflect the language of the bill in question."
Read 4 tweets
Jun 23
Wrong. What actually happened: The super PAC sent me, unsolicited, an email that a reporter from another outlet had sent the super PAC. They declared this was “off the record”; I’d never agreed to that. I simply reached out to the other reporter to confirm the email was real.
I never made an “off the record” agreement over this other reporter’s email, which was sent to me unsolicited. But also…I never published the unsolicited email! I simply asked a follow reporter if the email the PAC had sent me was a real email this reporter had sent the PAC.
The other reporter then, according to the PAC, expressed displeasure to the PAC that it’d passed along their email to another outlet - prompting the PAC, in turn, to express displeasure at me. But I’d simply tried to verify an email, which is my job, and didn’t do anything wrong.
Read 10 tweets
Jun 8
These claims that Oz isn’t registered to vote in Pennsylvania are false. He has been registered in PA since 2020, at his in-laws’ house where he says he now rents…you can find his record on PA’s voter site.

He is *also* registered in NJ, but “not Pennsylvania” is wrong. 1/
Fetterman, his Democratic opponent, tweeted cheekily today that Oz has a NJ registration (correct) and that NJ isn’t PA (correct). But then others explicitly said Oz doesn’t have a PA registration at all, and that’s not correct. 2/
It is legal to be registered in two states. (Elections experts point that out when people like Trump suggest that double-registered people is evidence of fraud.) Lots of people remain on one state’s rolls after moving to another. It’s only illegal to *vote* in both. 3/
Read 6 tweets
Mar 22
Looked up the context for Judge Jackson's accusation about US leaders committing war crimes. It was in a filing that alleged a Gitmo client had been tortured. She argued that directing, ordering, ratifying, conspiring in this mistreatment were war crimes. scribd.com/document/55663… Image
(Just posting the context because Sen. Graham and Sen. Cornyn challenged her on the "war crimes" accusation without outlining why she had made the accusation.)
Jackson also used this "war crimes" language in other cases involving Guantanamo detainees, always about torture/inhumane treatment. ImageImage
Read 4 tweets
Mar 17
Viral tweets saying Marjorie Taylor Greene refused to applaud Zelensky are *false.*

She was a pretty tepid clapper, but full footage shows she clapped 4 times: when Zelensky appeared, when the UKR ambassador was noted, when Pelosi said Slava Ukraini, when Zelensky concluded. 1/
Clap timeline:

Zelensky and Pelosi appear. (Greene claps 3-4 secs, stops, grabs phone, films the clapping room.)

Pelosi notes UKR ambassador. (Greene claps about 10 sec.)

Pelosi says Slava Ukraini. (Greene claps 3-4 total sec.)

Zelensky finishes. (Greene claps about 16 sec.)
In general, Greene appeared pretty unenthused, repeatedly looking at her phone and being slow to get up to clap. But the impression created by the short viral clip shared by liberal PAC MeidasTouch is misleading -- and their viral “refuses to applaud” claim is just wrong. 3/
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!

:(