Profile picture
Daniel Gibson @dlsgibson
, 12 tweets, 2 min read Read on Twitter
Barnier: NA bespoke deal for UK is impossible
EU27: We agree that UK can't have a bespoke deal.
UK: We're going to have a bespoke deal.

It's almost as though the government hasn't listened to a word the EU has said since Brexit began 1/n
The argument put forward by the government is that a bespoke deal would be in both the UK's and EU's best interests, and if this was a bilateral agreement between two nations that may be the case. 2/n
The problem is that this is an agreement between one country and 27 others, whose long term interests lie not in placating the leaving party but in promoting the benefits of remaining 3/n
This may sounds like the usual "EU punishment" line so beloved of a certain section of Brexiters, in reality though it is business pure and simple, and no different to what the UK would do if roles reversed. 4/n
A bad deal may create some short term harm to the EU but not as much as the long term damage of giving the UK a deal which is perceived by not only the EU27, but other countries which have pre-existing agreements with the EU would do. 5/n
There are obvious repercussions for the EEA for example should it appear that you can have a better deal without effective regulatory alignment. Then there are trade agreements with Canada and Japan for starters. 6/n
The simple fact is that the UK contributes about 2% of the overall EU finances, they simply cannot risk the countries which supply the remaining 98% wanting a better deal because that is what the UK has. 7/n
There will of course be those who claim that the EU is failing anyway and countries are just looking for an excuse to break away. The levels of growth demonstrated in the EU, however, put paid to this argument, as do levels of support across remaining EU27 8/n
in international relations the self interest of individual parties is the driving force for negotiations. IN this case the interest for the EU is to maintain its long term cohesion and its existing trade agreements 9/n
This has been explained to the UK government on more than one occasion. What it stills fails to grasp is that Barnier is correct, it is impossible for the EU to give the UK a better deal than anyone else because that risks longer term damage than just losing the UK. 10/n
If the UK is serious about getting the best deal that it can then it needs to start listening to the EU, and stop thinking that it has a special status. Brexit relegated it to a third country, which means it needs to start thinking like that 11/n
Instead of focusing on a special bespoke Canada ++ deal UK needs to look at deals the EU currently has, then work within those frameworks to find a mutually acceptable deal. Firstly though it needs to drop the exceptionalist attitude before it loses the chance of any deal 12/12
Missing some Tweet in this thread?
You can try to force a refresh.

Like this thread? Get email updates or save it to PDF!

Subscribe to Daniel Gibson
Profile picture

Get real-time email alerts when new unrolls are available from this author!

This content may be removed anytime!

Twitter may remove this content at anytime, convert it as a PDF, save and print for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video

1) Follow Thread Reader App on Twitter so you can easily mention us!

2) Go to a Twitter thread (series of Tweets by the same owner) and mention us with a keyword "unroll" @threadreaderapp unroll

You can practice here first or read more on our help page!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!


This site is made by just three indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member and get exclusive features!

Premium member ($3.00/month or $30.00/year)

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!