A : This virus was initially discovered when it caused an outbreak of brain fever among pig farmers in Kampung Sungai Nipah district, Malaysia.
A : Not much but, just be on your guard. #NipahVirus is transmitted from person to person and there is no effective antiviral therapy for this infection .
A : 1. People working with pigs and consuming pigs.
2. Farmers who come in contact with bats.
3. Consuming Fruits which are already bitten by bat.
4. Contact with people who already have #NipahVirus infection.
A : Initially non-specific, with sudden onset of fever, headache, muscle pain , nausea. Neck rigidity and photophobia are also seen. This rapidly progresses, to deterioration in consciousness and coma within 5-7 days.
A : The diagnosis is by ELISA which is currently done at National institute of Virology, Pune.
A : Supportive care is the mainstay of treatment and infected patients may require intensive care monitoring.
THERE IS NO APPROVED SPECIFIC THERAPY FOR THIS INFECTION . So prevention is the only cure for #Nipah!
A : 1. NO contact with pigs, pig handlers .
2. Personal hygeine & intensive hand washing
3. Consume only well cooked, clean, home made food, AND NO RAW FRUITS till the outbreak settles down.
4. Preferably use N95 mask in public to avoid transmission.