1.#A50Challenge disputes the govt's claims that a 'decision' to leave the EU has been made 'in accordance with [our] constitutional requirements'. The underlying assumptions of that decision haven't been tested in court. THREAD explaining why the ref result isn't a decision #FBPE
2. In 2011 the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act was legislated during the 1st Cameroon govt. It was unique as it was a 'madatory' referendum. The same administration legislated for the Referendum Act 2015 as an 'advisory' ref; 2011 bound parliament 2015 didn't.
3. The 1975 ref process was different. It was, what's termed as, a post-legislative ref. In other words, Parliament voted for EC membership, then legislated for the Referendum Act 1975. The assent of the people (67% to 33%) then made that result binding; theoretically.
It says at the same time that devolved powers will be preserved except the role of Brussels being transferred to Westminster (which sounds reasonable), but at the same time that Westminster wants to apply a common UK-wide policies.
"Common UK-wide policies" basically means Westminster will dictate the policies, which contradicts that the devolved powers will be able to control their implementation - unlike now where the EU defines the policy and the devolved assemblies implement them as appropriate.
22/ @neil_parish Neil Parish, MP for Tiverton & Honiton
You voted to remove the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights & it's
enshrined constitutional protection for:
The Tory's control more than half of councils, nearly double Labour. Losing control of even half of them is unrealistic, and even if it happened under fixed term government I can all but guarantee it won't result in a General Election.
A Prime Minister calls a GE under two circumstances: 1) They are miles ahead in the polls and think they can increase their majority (as in 2017) 2) They have suffered a humiliating defeat or scandal.
You drink your cafè
I sip my tea,
And MPs sitting here, playing so cool,
Thinking, 'What will be, will be.'
And it's getting kind of late now,
Oh, I wonder if we'll stay now,
Stay now, stay now,
Or will EU just politely say 'Goodnight'? #brexitsongs #StopBrexit
I move a little further from you,
Not knowing quite what to do and I'm
Feeling all fingers and thumbs,
I spill my tea, oh silly me,
It's getting kind of late now,
I wonder if we'll stay now,
Stay now, stay now,
Or will EU just politely say Goodnight? #brexitchaos #fbpe
And then we vote, much too much,
This moment has been waiting for a long, long time,
Makes me shiver,
Makes me quiver,
This moment I am so unsure,
This moment I have waited for,
Well is it something you've been waiting for,
Waiting for too? #stopbrexitsavebritain #fbpe
It's a PROCESS. Not an end product. You don't do it just the once. Remainers/leavers who insist we should respect the vote are either not aware of the threat democracy is currently under or they don't understand the concept of democracy.
"You don't get to keep voting until you get what you want". Well actually that IS kinda the point. You want your vote to count. And you want your values and policies to be realised.
Odious man with exactly the same profits ftom backing brexit as rees mogg.
We need to be clear they will make a huge profit selling you out and damaging our countries. #StopBrexitSaveBritain #FBPE #ABTV
I've seen a few tweets recently from #AntiBrexit campaigners feeling a little on the down side... A little fatigued and weary of this big battle we are fighting. #FBPE#ABTV
I have been feeling it too. First of all I want to say very emphatically that it's OK to feel this way. Any feelings about being one of ca 20m people sidelined, abused, denied and rejected are totally valid. #FBPE#ABTV
This is an important point. We're not just "moaning". We have been systematically marginalised and silenced. It's no small thing. #ABTV#FBPE
At N°9 in the Brit EU-#FakeNews Hit Parade: The Daily Telegraph, which is now almost as bad as red-tops for fake news when it comes to the EU, claimed the EU wanted to ban that most famous of British icons, the doubled-decker bus.
When you voted to trigger A50
you knew that regulatory alignment would be required for
Northern Ireland, as highlighted by the phase 1 report from 2017,
requiring both the SM & CU.
Does it not make sense to stay in the CU & SM?
The point that we keep missing is that Cons, Lab, etc no longer care about the referendum result. They are claiming overwhelming support for Brexit on the results of the 2017 GE when over 80% of those who voted, voted for parties which had Brexit as a part of their manifesto. 1/6
Similarly, the BBC are reporting only pro-brexit stories and, for example, relegating coverage of AIQ/CA to the tech pages on their website because 80%+ expressed their preference for Brexit to go ahead. That’s how manifestos work. 2/6
In the UK, there is only one way for an ordinary person to express their political wishes and that is by voting. In the GE, that resulted in most of us voting for pro-brexit parties in the hope of trying to get the tories out to end austerity. Boy was that a foolish move! 3/6
1. When will those craven MPs, who fail to put natl interest 1st, wake up to the harsh reality; the #Brexit vote & process was subverted & flawed, the Will of the People unclear & misrepresented & that our country can only end up Poorer, Weaker with Fewer Rights & less Control.
3. Jeremy Corbyn & the Labour leadership are being equally disingenuous & like the Tories putting the ideology of the Far Left before the interests of their own ppl.
They can't be in power forever & future Tory Govts can do what they want outside the EU.
1. It is time it is made clear that one limb of our constitution - the judicary - will be thrown into legal chaos on exit day. No ifs, no buts, no coconuts! We all know civilised society depends on a functioning legal system; we're unlikely to have that. #FBPE#lawlessBrexit#FBR
2. Brexit has created divisions in Parliament and the public domain. Regardless of whether someone is Pro-EU or Pro-Brexit, there are far-reaching aftereffects relevant to the UK’s exit that must be addressed to ensure continuity and legal certainty on and after exit day.
3. The UK leaving the EU poses a significant challenge not simply for the Government and Parliament but also for the legal systems in the four Nations; it is a legal undertaking of a type and scale that is unique and unprecedented. Its a nightmare. #ABTV#WATON
2. The legislative task presents at a national level offers an opportunity for Local Government to stake some claims. The local elections give US the opportunity to scuttle that plan. Put simply, Local Councilors have an eye on a bit of a power grab of their own here. #ABTV
3. Local authorities will have to take powers from Brussels (well, London) if Brexit plans are to be successful - the Govt doesn't have many options to implement the legislative power grab from our sovereign parliament - the task is just too vast. #ABTV
1. All of this flagged up by #Remain before A50 passed by the CONS & Labour..I remember distinctly our warnings that if it went thru Control passed to the EU27. It goes to prove how much damage both parties are prepared to inflict on our country to impose their ideology on us all
2. This price to buy a Transition that merely allows our politicians to kick the real impact down the road so they can con ppl into thinking things will be fine after #Brexit. If we don't #StopBrexitSaveBritain we'll be out on 29/03/19 & it will be too late to avoid the cliff.
3. This is all about leaving the EU 29/03/19..once out we've lost our BEST POSSIBLE DEAL, it will be Pay & Obey No Say on many issues ad infinitum; we'll never get back in. At that point we lose Rights...we're already losing jobs to the EU as companies relocate at least in part.
a. The HoLs Constitution Committee stated the EUW Bill ‘risks fundamentally undermining legal certainty’. The statement echoes concerns that are reverberating through the UK legal system whilst being overlooked in the Brexit debate. Here are the issues: #FBPE#WATON#ABTV#Remain
b. The Committee’s view echoes mine: crucial sections of the Bill are ‘conceptually flawed’ & that ‘retained EU law’ should form part of an Act of Parliament on Brexit day in order to safeguard legal certainty.
c. There is an insidious fallacy from Brexiteers that we are returning sovereignty to Parliament and 'taking back control' of our laws. The harsh legal and constitutional reality of the Bill demonstrates this to be nothing but a fetish. We will be doing nothing of the sort. #FBR
1. The EU (Withdrawal) Bill the most important bill Parliament has deliberated for decades; its a constitutional and legal minefield. At present, my job is to amend several modules on an LLB Law course to prepare for Brexit. This thread highlights some issues.
2. The EUW Bill does 3 things: repeals the ECA 1972; turns existing EU law into UK law; and gives govt Ministers the power to amend, discard and replace 'retained EU law' (EU laws converted into domestic law by the Bill). The latter equates to unprecedented Executive power.
3. The Bill's crucial for Brexit to happen, not least because the ECA 1972 has acted as a conduit for EU laws to be enshrined in domestic law for over 40 years. We've not the time to replace them with new legislation between now & March; a cut-and-paste approach has been adopted.
1. You're not alone in this opinion, nor is it an isolated incident.. Recently some correspondents & interviewers are finally beginning to do their job namely to check the facts & offer real challenge to Govt line..but not yet all.
In the coming days, we will be posting a full HOWTO on organising your parish council to stop Brexit. Please promote the cause, and organise locally - and add #PCSB to your username! Five characters that could make the world of a difference #FBPE#WATON
In this thread I will be posting a quick and easy guide to stopping Brexit with your parish council. I will use the example of Wembury Parish Council but this applies equally to any parish council. #PCSB#FBPE#WATON#ABTV
.@stephen501 is another #leave voter who wishes he had the chance to vote again now the facts of what #brexit means are becoming clear. Good on you for coming forward Stephen, you are one of millions, just need others to show the same humility! #remainernow#finalsay#fbpe
Here is another tweet from #remainernow@stephen501 after he regretted his leave vote he wrote to his MP. Hopefully he can also help persuade other leave voters he knows to do the same now #brexitreality is hitting!