Fred Wellman Profile picture
Jul 13, 2019 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
My wife was a flight attendant and I was an Army officer in Atlanta in the late 90’s. I used to drop my kids off at a daycare that wasn’t bad and had cameras I could watch online. My daughter was maybe 3 or 4. I started noticing her spirit fading.
It was strange. She seemed listless at home and not her usual cheery sunny self. I didn’t get it. I looked at the cameras. The place was clean. The employees seemed nice but busy. I never saw her mistreated. But then I saw it. She was alone. I dropped her off and she sat alone.
They parked her on a bench at a table not unlike these while she ate a snack. She sat in a corner alone much of the time. She played a little but each day she grew more isolated and no one noticed. She was lonely.
So one day I dropped her off and watched from the lobby. My girl walked in and her face went blank. She sat listlessly. She simply disappeared before my eyes. The look haunts me still. I walked in and took her home. Called in sick and took leave to find a new place.
I can’t see this little girls face from this official White House photo of the VP’s visit to the Border Patrol yesterday. But I know what her expression is. She’s alone. Placed on a bench. Given snacks and a TV. But she is fading every minute she is there. Disappearing.
We can argue politics and policy of why she’s there. We can blame her parents or the Administration. But as a parent and veteran I’m horrified that our government is “disappearing” children right now and many think it’s nothing. It’s not. This is a scar on our nation.
This must end. Is there a surge of migrants? Yes. Are our policies causing them to become more desperate? Yes. Is our housing of them horrible? Yes. It’s not about “open borders” or not anymore. It’s about our humanity as a nation. Is this who we are? I’m not. We shouldn’t be.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Fred Wellman

Fred Wellman Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @FPWellman

Jul 18
A lot of people ask my why I have steadfastly stood in support of President Biden and VP Harris in the midst of all of this. Aside from their record of astounding success and stability...I live in the real world. I hear from regular voters all the time. This isn't the West Wing or Fantasy Sports. I am also clearly a target based on the last year of fun things that have happened. I don't have the luxury to fantasize about woulda, coulda, shoulda. I am here now.
Just like when I flew a scout helicopter designed in 1958 with no weapons into the first modern tank mechanized war in 1991...this is the team and tools I have and I am going to fly the shit out of it and win. We did. I firmly believe we have the message and moment to win this election if our side doesn't throw it away.
There are people that have decided that there is this magical "better option" less than three months before the election and even less before early voting. If President Biden does change his mind, I will throw myself at whomever the ticket is, but this fantasy politics shit has got to end.
Read 4 tweets
Jul 16
The RNC is rolling and everyone is talking Biden instead of Trump/Vance. Meanwhile across the country Dem candidates are plugging away to flip the House and stop the spread of MAGA and Project 2025. They need our help. I'm proud to be national chairman of Forgotten Democrats. (1/ )
It's a simple set up. No staff. No ads. An FEC earmark that allows us to fund nominees who need funds the most...first. A bathtub model that raises everyone up from the bottom. This is our first cycle and we are eager to help as many Dems as we can. (2/4 )forgottendemocrats.org
It's not a showy effort. We don't have famous people. Just a few pro-democracy folks including the former CEO of ActBlue and hard working democratic campaigners. Your money goes to candidates. I hope you'll consider it. We need to work together now. (3/4) contribute.forgottendemocrats.org/join_fd_ot
Read 4 tweets
May 31
We aren’t just electing a President. We are electing an Administration. Only one Biden cabinet secretary has turned over. By every measure our government is being run with little drama or scandals and great efficiency. How can you forget the insanity of Trump’s clown show? 🧵
He had 92% turnover just inside his own executive offices with lunatics like Bannon, Omarosa, and Gorka. He fired his NSA for lying in the first month. The entire concept of a “Scaramucci” as a measure of time was part of the parade of dumb spokespeople. brookings.edu/articles/track…
There literally isn’t room or time to list all of the scandals of his cabinet members from the very beginning. One after another. The most incompetent, unethical, criminal, and malfeasant government in history.

Read 4 tweets
May 17
Been a while since my last update on the lawsuit against me by disgraced former Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn. We filed all of our motions required by the federal court five weeks ago and haven't heard a response to date. Unfortunately it's time for more help. (1/4)gofund.me/cb070c3e
You may recall that Flynn's lawyers wanted a stay of the case while they appealed the state court ruling against them in their suit against @TheRickWilson. We opposed that motion and asked for accelerated process under Florida's anti-SLAPP statute. (2/4) documentcloud.org/documents/2451…
That was March 25th and we've had no movement since. Meanwhile even with pro bono primary counsel from @MarkSZaidEsq and @BradMossEsq our local counsel and support staff are not free and our funding is being drained. This lawfare is incredibly expensive to fight off. (3/4)
Read 4 tweets
May 7
A big thread on supporting Democrats. You may have seen my new series of videos called 'In the Hot Seat' on @meidastouch. So far I've interviewed 14 Dem candidates for House, Senate, and Governor across the country from Colin Allred in TX to Callie Barr in MI and more... (1/12)
From Andy Kim in NJ to Caroline Gleich in UT. They're incredible candidates in it for the right reasons. The biggest difference I see is usually funding. Some are functioning with sophisticated well funded campaigns. Many are trying to scrape by. (2/12)
I'm thrilled to get them attention like the amazing Chuck Hubbard a former local journalist taking on the awful MAGA Virginia Foxx in NC. But in the end I see they need help to put on a good race. It is a must. (3/12)
Read 17 tweets
Apr 17
The Speaker of the Missouri House @deanplocher decided he was above the law and Ethics Committee. His lawyers and allies intimidated witnesses, ignored investigators, and then voted down draft report. Now he wants to be Secretary of State! This is what a GOP super majority gets. @Kacen
Every single story is worse than the last. Unbelievable cover up actions. Direct intimidation of witnesses. Complete disregard for the citizens who pay his salary. The @MOHouseGOP is only interested in preserving their power. @KurtEricksonPD stltoday.com/news/local/gov…
He got caught manipulating the system to get a lucrative contract for a colleague. Then got caught charging the state for travel that his campaign had already paid him for. Then pretended a politician in office for 7 years just made a mistake. @J_Hancock missouriindependent.com/2023/10/23/rec…
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(