Drew Holden Profile picture
Jul 20, 2020 31 tweets 29 min read Read on X
Remember the Steele dossier? It went to hell today, barely making news.

Now that its been thoroughly discredited, anyone care for a trip down memory lane about how folks on the left & in the media hyped it up because it made Trump look bad?

🧵Thread🧵
wsj.com/articles/newly…
@CNN made it a point to bring up the dossier early and often, and frequently led with the most explosive claims. They even attacked @DevinNunes for being rightfully dubious.
One tactic was to bring on elected officials and other “reputable” people to talk up the dossier.

In retrospect, I’m not sure they picked the most trustworthy folks.

Featuring James Clapper, Lt. Col. Ralph Peters, @RepSwalwell and @RepAdamSchiff.
@RepAdamSchiff didn’t exactly cover himself in glory on this one.
And some of CNN’s voices you’ll surely recognize chimed in. Here’s @brianstelter.
CNN wasn’t alone. One of the most consistent media voices in all things Russian Collusion has been @NYMag
Much of NYMag’s discussion was led by @jonathanchait, the same journalist who advanced the theory that perhaps Trump has been a Russian agent since 1987.

It’s hard not to look at this as similarly conspiratorial at this point.
But probably the most vociferous cheerleader of the Steele dossier was @maddow, who hyped it at every turn.

Select screenshots of it are below, but well worth your time is @ErikWemple’s series on this: google.com/amp/s/www.wash…
Really just a lot from @maddow, including on @MaddowBlog.

Also another feature from Clapper.
And she managed to suck in much of the rest of the network. @MSNBC was probably the worst of the mainstream outlets on this. (1/2)
More from @MSNBC, including having the cofounder of Fusion GPS on to very believably speak to the impeachable standards of Fusion. (2/2)
And Maddow gets us to one of the original advocates of this theory, @DavidCornDC of Mother Jones. His original reporting kicked off a lot of this firestorm.

The central allegation is that the POTUS is beholden to our geopolitical enemy. Black helicopters stuff.
While more outlets than I expected were reasonable about all this, @Newsweek was not one of them. I continue to be mystified at what this paper has become.
@Slate went pretty full-blown conspiracy monger on all this, too.
We had many of the usual voices check in on this one. From behind the block is @therickwilson.

Is anyone worse at predicting how the future will turn out?
@JoyAnnReid’s penchant for conspiracy theories deserves a lot more attention than it receives.
I mean, seriously, @JoyAnnReid
Obligatory @JRubinBlogger mention, featuring “what is remarkable is how accurate the reporting has been on this all along”
No surprises from @MaxBoot
And ditto for @MalcolmNance, yet another big fan of Russian collusion. Also getting @SteveSchmidtSES in here.
Obligatory @SethAbramson mention.
Running out of space and patience but don’t forget about:

- former democratic 2020 presidential front runner @MichaelAvenatti
- @matthewjdowd (I don’t share your confidence here) and

-“there is not a single part of the Steele dossier that has been discredited” @CheriJacobus
I couldn’t possibly leave @funder off of this list. He may be the best example.

Any follow up on that “analysis” of yours, @funder?
And no thread is complete without @kurteichenwald.

Any more thoughts on conspiracy theories?
Anyway, take away here should be clear: our media should have a shred of incredulity when it comes to enormous and explosive claims, up to and including the leader of the free world being a Russian puppet.
Couple bonuses to throw in.

First, @thedailybeast, who even did an exclusive with Mr. Steele.

Now it isn’t just “Trump’s defenders” pointing out that the dossier is concocted.
@JaneMayerNYer was one of the media personalities at the forefront of pushing the validity of the dossier.
@AdamParkhomenko doing the Trump capitalization schtick.
And okay one more for @funder
Also, how could I forget @tribelaw.
I don’t have anything to sell or link to. But don’t forget this is an incredibly difficult time for many & food banks across the country are really hurting.

I’m sure your local food bank is asking for donations. If you don’t have one, here’s my parish’s: adw.org/ways-to-give/f…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Drew Holden

Drew Holden Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DrewHolden360

Jul 24
🧵THREAD🧵

The media are already hard at work to mislead about VP Kamala Harris.

The latest is an effort to memoryhole Harris’s role leading Biden’s disastrous immigration policy as “border czar.”

Who’s up for some side-by-sides, lest we forget? ⤵️
There’s no better place to start than with @axios, who made waves today when they claimed that Harris was never the “border czar.”

The problem?

Axios had called her exactly that back in 2021.
They added a truly Orwellian editors note after the backlash, claiming that they had misreported initially.

Really. Image
Read 23 tweets
Jul 10
🧵THREAD🧵

Biden’s disastrous debate performance brought to a screeching halt a multi-year campaign from the media to present the president as mentally fit.

Do you really remember how hard the press pushed you not to trust your lyin’ eyes on Biden’s decline?

Start here ⤵️
I suspect most of you remember the allegations from the White House that videos showing Biden behaving erratically were “cheap fakes.”

The media rushed to repeat this claim. Look at the extent @nytimes went to say you didn’t see anything and that Biden was fine.

Perhaps the wildest was @washingtonpost, who gave “Four Pinocchio’s” to videos showing Biden displaying cognitive problems, dismissing them as fakes, “pernicious” efforts “to reinforce an existing stereotype.”

Part of their defense was that Biden “doesn’t dance.”

Really.

Read 34 tweets
Jun 27
🧵Thread🧵

You remember Russian Collusion. But do you remember the “Russian bounties” allegation, where the press ran with a conspiracy theory to make Trump look like a monster?

With the debate tonight, I think it’s timely to revisit a falsehood Biden pushed. Follow along ⤵️
It started with a scoop from @nytimes that claimed Russia had placed bounties on American soldiers in Afghanistan, that Trump knew about it, and he did nothing.
Days later, @washingtonpost followed up with the claim that these bounties—again, allegedly ignored by Trump—led to the deaths of American servicemen.

Read 24 tweets
Jun 12
🧵Thread🧵

Do you *really* remember the Hunter Biden laptop story? I fear we’ve lost the plot.

With Hunter’s name in the news I wanted to revisit the extent to which the media went to cover up corruption allegations against—and at the behest of—his father.

Follow along. ⤵️
You have to start with the scoop from @nypost and @EmmaJoNYC.

Their lede from October was damning:

“Hunter Biden introduced his father, then-Vice President Joe Biden, to a top executive at a Ukrainian energy firm less than a year before the elder Biden pressured government officials in Ukraine into firing a prosecutor who was investigating the company.”Image
The story was fundamentally about Joe Biden’s alleged corruption. It was huge news, on the eve of an election.

The press leapt to claim the scoop wasn’t legit. And they reframed the issue: now it was about Hunter, not Joe. Here’s @NPR before/after
Read 27 tweets
May 29
Good to see the NYT’s considerable resources being put to finding the truth in a debate between private citizens that led one of them to raise a flag upside down.

Real afflict the comfortable, comfort the afflicted stuff here.
This is not, in a well ordered universe, news.

It has only become “news” because of the pivot to left wing clickbait that Trump inspired among the press.
It’s politically inspired harassment and not only is it noxious it’s driving a deep animus among its target demo that is fraying what remains of the bounds of our body politic and society more broadly.
Read 4 tweets
May 28
🧵Thread🧵

I’ve got an oldie-but-a-goodie for you from the archive of unhinged media coverage.

Do you remember how insane the coverage of Trump’s killing of Iranian Gen. Soleimani was?

I bet it’s worse than you remember. Follow along ⤵️
It all started with what I’ve gotta say might be the coldest presidential use of social media in history.

After ordering the strike that killed Iranian General Qaseem Soleimani, Trump tweeted out simply a picture of an American flag.

Many in the media went berserk. Image
First, the issue was directly with what Trump had done. Outlets claimed that he was rushing America into a war. @washingtonpost tried to point out the hypocrisy of a president who had said he would prevent a war.

All evidence suggests he did exactly that.
Read 25 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(