Rawdon Crozier🇺🇦 Profile picture
Aug 12, 2020 4 tweets 4 min read Read on X
@sacrebleurgh @nearlylegal @HomeownersLandQ I think there may be a difference between retro-fitted cladding and cladding present from inception. The fitting of the cladding is, arguably, actionable as nuisance, breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment, & derogation from grant. Test is objective & doesn't depend on... 1/
@sacrebleurgh @nearlylegal @HomeownersLandQ ...standards prevailing at the time, unlike negligence. Once a cause of action exists there is the potential for injunctive relief/damages. Whether injunction would extend to compelling obtaining of an EWS1 is interesting but impact damages might indirectly compel. The ... 2/
@sacrebleurgh @nearlylegal @HomeownersLandQ … problem with cladding there from the start (& ? for buyers who bought post-retro-fit) is that with property pre-existing defects (subject to any express warranties) are a matter for the buyer to detect. 3/3
@sacrebleurgh @nearlylegal @HomeownersLandQ Rider to bit re buyers of retrofit: Innerspaces Self Storage v Harding [2014] EWCA Civ 46: Judge wrong to reject tenant's claim on basis that tenant had known about rubble (the breach in that case) when assigned lease. Ambit of covenant to be construed at the date of grant.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Rawdon Crozier🇺🇦

Rawdon Crozier🇺🇦 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @RawdonCrozier

Apr 12
@g_passamonti I'm interested why you should say that, it doesn't chime with my experience, which is that mediation can work in any form of dispute but much depends on the quality of the mediator. I do, however, agree mandatory mediation is a bad idea. 1/
@g_passamonti Mandatory mediation will devalue the importance of these claims to individuals, it will be exploited, it devalues the importance of a right of universal redress, it will increase the failure rate of mediations & it will lead to disenchantment with mediation & the legal system. 2/
@g_passamonti What is actually required is a cost-effective universal low value dispute resolution system but we're in a position in which the Government is actively damaging the whole legal system, so the chances of getting that are minimal, sadly. 3/3
Read 4 tweets
Sep 5, 2022
Has Johnson waived privilege in his Instructions? That assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upl… reads more like a Skeleton Argument makes me question what the the instructions were. 1/
When I write an open Opinion, ie for disclosure, I set out my instructions to allow the inclusion of a paragraph that there is no greater waiver of privilege. So something along these lines:
"As this Opinion is being written for the purposes of disclosure...
2/
"...I should make it clear that beyond:
(i) the recital of my Instructions in 1 of this Opinion,
(ii) any specific further instructions as to factual matters identified as such and recorded within the Opinion itself, and
(iii) the content of this Opinion
3/
Read 9 tweets
Jun 22, 2022
The perniciousness of the position Homes England ('HE') is taking is that the HTB Mortgage gives HE no power to do this. Sorry this is going to require a thread (please read what follows as commentary NOT legal advice) … 1/
Unusually in a mortgage it is the borrower who has control under the HTB redemption clauses (for early redemption in full without a sale it's Clause 7). HE can either agree a valuer or not in which case HE or the borrower can ask the Chairman of the RICS to appoint one … 2/
That only comes from the definition of valuer in Clause 1.1 (the drafting of the HTB mortgage isn't great, there are things that should be spelt out that aren't). The RICS has a standard form to apply for the appointment - rics.org/globalassets/r…. … 3/
Read 14 tweets
Apr 20, 2021
What the Government should be legislating for re defective building work/products is:
1) extending the limitation period for suing for defects
2) extending builders/manufacturers/suppliers/fitters duty of care
3) making non-means tested civil legal aid available for claims. 1/
If there had still been a functioning civil legal aid system some of the problems detected post-Grenfell would undoubtedly already have been remedied.
It's very easy to look at problems individually & overlook the big picture, which is that we have wholesale systemic 2/
failures that feed into each other & make each individual problems worse. The only way future cladding scandals are going to be avoided is to ensure there are effect laws to make those responsible liable. Laws which theoretically provide redress are useless if people can't 3/
Read 9 tweets
Sep 9, 2020
Just having an attack of remorse, I've been indulging in graveyard humour about the Government & Europe when I should be saying something meaningful about the #claddingscandal & Downing Street being lit green to show 'solidarity' to mark the third THIRD anniversary of Grenfell 1/
...while people remain trapped slowly (or not so slowly) running out of money in unsaleable &, potentially life-threatening flats . Actually my anger at that is inexpressible, so instead, legal Twitter, what about solutions? 2/
...For example in the specific case of retro-fitted cladding, I can see the problems with negligence but "other causes of action are available". Why are there not causes of action on the basis of derogation from grant/ breach of covenant/ nuisance? 3/
Read 5 tweets
May 4, 2020
While the aftermath of the Covid 19 Pandemic is likely to be disastrous not just for this country but for counties and individuals across the world, it doesn’t necessarily have to be. In this thread I’m going to suggest how the worst might be avoided. 1/
First, while the probable negative effects are being commented upon, there isn’t much evidence of any co-ordinated planning to offset the anticipated effects of the massive escalation of global and individual debt. 2/
The likelihood is that countries across the world will crippling themselves to make debt repayments & probably cut the very services which have worked so hard to help those afflicted in the pandemic. 3/
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(