GeePaw Hill Profile picture
Sep 10, 2020 27 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Human, local, oriented, taken, and iterative: this is how change-harvesting in software development approaches change in most contexts in the trade. Let's take "human" today, and see where it leads us.
Before we begin, I want to express my continued support for the protestors. They're still out there, folks, still peaceably seeking change, and still risking life & limb in the face of armed violence every day.

Stay safe, stay strong, stay angry, stay kind.

Black Lives Matter.
When we use that word "human", change-harvesters are getting at the fact that, in systems involving humans, machines, and procedures, the humans are the most powerful force. When we seek change while ignoring human factors, we go awry quite rapidly.
Human emphasis, in this usage, opposes both procedural and mechanical emphases. A common form of the problem is to implement a system using simple logic and uni-directional causality, abstracting away the complexity and sophistication of how humans actually perform at their best.
A negative case: I work with a lot of Scrum shops. During the planning of a sprint, we target some velocity value, pull stories adding up to that amount, and get folks to sign up for those stories. The sprint is a bucket, and we seek to fill that bucket during planning.
In many shops, this is Jira-fied, and is all tracked meticulously, establishing both the desired group velocity and the desired individual velocity. We spend a lot of time jiggling and analyzing numbers.
Later, when the sprint is over, we'll spend some time establishing a new velocity, and -- all too often -- "rolling over" work from this sprint to the next one, more or less grumpily and blamefully, depending on the team in question.
All of this makes the most wonderful sense, doesn't it? It's addition. It's logic. It's tracking. It's how machines and procedures work.

So then, why do I spend so much time watching it fail?

The change-harvesting answer to that question: we de-emphasized the humans.
Here are some of the reasons that de-emphasis on humans leads to unhappy and unproductive teams.
1) Humans aren't fungible, either across bodies or across time. That is, I'm not only not reliably interchangeable with you in terms of capacity, I'm not even reliably interchangeable with last week's version of me, not until we've gathered a great many weeks.
2) Humans like *very* *much* to impress & please the other humans around them. They routinely sign up for more work than they can do, for no other reason than to please the work-givers. (They also do it to feel like they're "equal" to the others on their team.)
3) Humans like winning so much that they're perfectly willing to win "on paper" regardless of whether they win "in life". That means that, as the sprint approaches its end, they'll rush, overlooking risks, in an effort to satisfy their targeted capacity.
4) Humans like helping, too. In most teams, there are very strong geeks who get to work on their own problem half as much as the others do, because they spend so much time consulting and assisting on the others' problems.
5) Humans aren't remotely as productive when they perceive themselves as failures. When we routinely push our capacity limit, we'll routinely fail to hit it. And when we routinely fail, we routinely produce less effectively.
There are a bunch of reasons why the simple logic of Scrum's sprint planning doesn't work well for many teams. And what they seem to come down to is this: it de-emphasizes the reality that the humans & their vagaries are the most powerful factor in our success or failure.
A positive case: once teams build their pairing skills, the pairs routinely out-perform their old all-solo-all-the-time performance. We've seen this over and over.
I rush to say: *once* they build the skill. Pairing (& mobbing) is a skill, and like all such it takes practice. I've seen all too many teams rush into forced all-pair-all-the-time to disastrous effect: yet another cost of ignoring human factors, by the way.
But why does pairing/mobbing work so well? Again, there are several factors in play, each bearing some of the responsibility for the improvement.
1) Once again, humans aren't fungible. My skills and your skills are different skills. Pairing & mobbing takes advantage of this by putting our overlapping-but-different skills and attitudes in harness on the same problem at the same time.
2) Humans also still like winning. Pairing and mobbing emphasizes wins and de-emphasizes losses. Another case of the math making no sense: the benefit of a shared win is as high as a solo one, but the cost of a shared loss is *lower* than a solo one.
3) Humans are very often out-of-phase in energy. When you're feeling it and I'm not, that's the perfect time for you to carry our pair for a little bit. Not only does the *pair's* combined energy stay comparatively stable, but your energy often stokes mine. Humans work that way.
4) Humans enjoy both teaching & learning. When they work with other humans, they get many more opportunities for both. We've long documented the extremely rapid skills transference that pairing & mobbing deliver.
5) Humans are social creatures through and through. Though there is a broad range of communication skills & styles, it is still the case that the majority of humans greatly value direct engagement with others. The programmer-as-lonely-wizard motif was played out a long time ago.
Pairing and mobbing, once again, don't "math" very well. Our earliest ideas about it seem to imply that we'll be half as productive in a pair, but that just isn't the case. What gives? The activity emphasizes the peculiar strengths of the humans engaged in it.
I hope, through these two cases, you're getting a feel for that first pillar in the change-harvester's mantra: we "lean in" to the humanness of our most powerful force, and "lean away" from the procedural or mechanical forces.
There are many other cases we could mention, and since the five terms overlap, we probably will be bringing some of them up later, but for now, we have a start: change-harvesters pay particular attention to the humans in a system in their approach to change.
Thanks for reading. Two favors I ask:

1) Subscribe. It's free, spam-free, comes twice a week in full-text or as a podcast.

2) Keep working for & supporting change, in the trade & out. We can fix this. We're the only thing that can.

Black lives matter.

geepawhill.org/subscribe

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with GeePaw Hill

GeePaw Hill Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GeePawHill

Nov 19, 2022
In today's episode of Stupid Geek Tricks, I just basically invented Smalltalk using Kotlin.

Before you get angry, please know that I don't approve of this. I don't approve of a lotta shit I do.
120 lines of code. A marker interface for messages, a one-API interface for objects. Any class can handle any message it chooses to. Didn't bother with doesNotUnderstand, but it'd be an easy add.

gist.github.com/GeePawHill/2d7…
Conceptually, it's straightforward: the Interactor wraps a Thing to give it a jump table that switches on the message subclass. It calls the Thing's register() to fill out that jump table. Any given Thing class can register any given Message+Handler pair.
Read 31 tweets
Nov 18, 2022
What is my favorite 20th c song from Broadway?

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you asked.

[Editor's note: Nobody asxked this. No one. Not one. Nobody asked this.]
Well, of course, it's "At The Ballet" from _A Chorus Line_.

I grew up on stage, community and then semi-pro theatre. I worked 4-8 production a year from the time I was 7 until about 20 years old.

In *Kansas*, yo, in Kansas.
Read 13 tweets
Nov 18, 2022
Anyway, all and sundry, "geepawhill" is not a common moniker. Find me that way. I'm on mastodon, but I also have a whole website, geepawhill.org.
Backstory: "geepaw" means "grandfather", and now, to look at me, it seems obvious. Of *course* this bitter old fucker is a grandfather, just look at him. But "GeePaw" is actually a name I've had for over 30 years.
See, my wife is a little older than me, and when we first got to the bouncy-bouncy, her kids were already almost grown. I was present in the hospital room when my grandson was born. (It was gross.) And I became a grandfather at the ripe old age of 31.
Read 9 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
Please, I'm sorry, please, remember through all this Elon-is-evil-and-stupid shit, remember, please, I'm sorry, please.

This ass-clown *bought* this place where you made community, he didn't steal it. And he *bought* it from the people who sold it to him.
Baby, you were so sure you were the customer, all along, and so mad to discover you were product, all along.
*Fucking* mastodon. There's servers. There's CW's, and bitchy people on your server telling you to CW your random rage-tweets. There's no funded algo stuffing your timeline, just your server's locals and your follows and their follows.
Read 6 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
Jussi Bjorling, "Nessun Dorma".

I once did a bake-off. It was in the early days with spotify, and spotify is the king-hell site for bake-offs. Type in "nessun dorma" and get 500 takes.

So I listened to maybe 200 or so, and I put together a CD of about 20 of them.
And one night -- yes there were substances involved -- I played it for my wife, and we listened to all 20 takes, and we chose our top 3. No commentary. We just listened, and chose our favorites.
Read 6 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
Bob Marley & The Wailers, "Redemption Song". vimeo.com/390484832
Late at night, when no one's around, or they're all abed, or I'm drunk and I don't care, I sing this to the trees outside my house.
My range is very narrow, and it straddles right there, alto and tenor, and I'm old, a practioner of many vices, across many decades. But I sing it, and it fits in my range, and singing it makes me feel good.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(