DCPetterson Profile picture
Sep 25, 2020 11 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Here is my complete set (so far) of Things You Don't Say When Fighting Fascism. Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with DCPetterson

DCPetterson Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @dcpetterson

Jul 4
I've been castigated a few times by younger people who disagree with me. That's okay, I can handle disagreement. But often, the criticism they level is that I'm old, and therefore I must not care about the future, because I'll be dead soon anyway.

Insane.

1/10
First, I have kids and grandkids, and my grandkids are nearly old enough to have kids of their own. I fear the world they're inheriting. I'm enraged that they have fewer rights than my wife and I did. I'm incensed they have fewer opportunities.

2/10
If you want to see rage and passion, try fucking with an old guy's grandkids. I dare you. Just try it. We will bury you.

What being old gives me is not an unconcern with the future, but a different perspective on time.

3/10
Read 13 tweets
Jul 4
I don't know how to put this clearly. The horrible SCOTUS immunity decision did not confer any additional powers on the president. It just protects the president from criminal prosecution.

Too many people confuse the concepts of "ability" and "immunity."

1/11
See, right now, today, you have the ability to buy a gun and hold up a liquor store. You can do that if you want. You will likely be arrested and prosecuted for it, but you have the ability to do it.

2/11
If tomorrow the Supreme Court granted you immunity from prosecution for any armed robberies you want to commit, that wouldn't give you any new powers or abilities. It would just mean you could execute an ability you already had, without being prosecuted for it.

3/11
Read 12 tweets
Jul 2
Something I learned long ago as a fiction writer: A happy ending happens only because that's where the author stopped telling the story.

Life always goes on, and even after momentous achievements, there will come more challenges.

Why am I telling you this now?

1/9
I've had some dorks ask me versions of, "Why should we reelect Biden to save democracy? What's he gonna do to fix the problem?"

They're looking for a permanent happy ending. They want Dumbledor (or Harry Potter) to save us all, once and for all.

That's not how it works.

2/9
Biden isn't going to permanently "fix the problem." No one is, because it can't be "fixed".

YOU save democracy, by electing the non-fascist candidate. And YOU have to do that every goddam election. (Yes, you lazy bastard, you have to vote every goddam time.)

3/9
Read 9 tweets
Jul 1
Normally, "official corruption" is not when an official does something outside of the powers of the office, but when an official abuses the powers of the office for a corrupt purpose.

1/6
For example, the mayor of a small town may have the authority to sign contracts for the town (sewer, water, construction, etc.). If the mayor always gives all city business to his brother-in-law, that's generally seen as corrupt, and could be criminal.

2/6
SCOTUS just said a former President cannot be prosecuted for criminal acts he takes as President, if they're part of his official duties. In other words, nothing a President does can be corrupt. SCOTUS even went so far as to say the President's motives cannot be questioned.

3/6
Read 6 tweets
Jun 29
Trump ignored every question last night, and lied with every word he said, and no one called him out on it.

But THAT IS NOT THE WORST OF IT.

Trump showed us:
Every word he says creates the reality his cult believes.

It's VITAL that you understand this.

1/7
Trump ignored the questions, and didn't even pretend to answer them, because he told his cult, "Nothing exists outside of the reality that I create. I don't have to respond."

He said lies--that "everyone" wanted Roe reversed, that deficits were low under Trump, ...

2/7
... that Trump handled Covid well, that the economy is NOW terrible, that Biden is a criminal, something about "laptops", that Trump helped Black people...

.. on and on and on, lie after lie after lie...

... and his cult believes every word.

3/7
Read 7 tweets
Jun 26
If this Supreme Court gets the chance it will overturn Obergefell, and hold that there is no right of marriage for same-sex couples in the Constitution. We will go back to whether individual states want to legalize it and individual people and companies want to recognize it.

1/6
Red states will sue the federal government and will also sue Blue states to establish their power to not recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere. This SCOTUS will uphold that power.

This Court will eliminate the right to contraception and to fertility treatments.

2/6
This Court will eliminate the right of same-sex couples to adopt children or to buy a house or claim each other as dependents on their taxes.

This Court will eliminate interracial marriages (Thomas notwithstanding) and the right of Black couples to adopt or to buy houses.

3/6
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(