It's the quarterly Stockport Walking and Cycling Forum TONIGHT! We'll be live-tweeting as we go.
Introductions from the new officers...
Bee Network update: First up, the Heatons Cycle Link. The route across Meadows Gardens is mostly complete.

The upgraded A6 crossing is now under way for the next six weeks.
Bramhall Park to A6...
Offerton to Stockport. St Thomas' Rec section expected to be completele in spring. Work under way to upgrade crossing on Offerton Lane. Works under way on controlled crossing on St Mary's Way.
A555 Community Links – the Gillbent Road crossing is substantially complete. Work under way on a controlled crossing over Stanley Road for six weeks. Work also under way for path from Highfield Parkway through Woodford Rec to the A555, until spring.
More consultations: Romiley to Stockport route, Heaton Mersey Common (part of the Heatons Cycle Link), and Edgeley to Stockport.
Summary of sources of info...
First Q from @doc_matt_jacko Nelstrop Road diversions have been quite confusing.

Alex Purrier: Stockport had agreed a route through Highfield Country Park in Manchester but is currently for walking only due to access controls. Manchester not happy about removing barriers.
There is now a wider diversion route via Reddish. Also diversion signs being removed in the park.
Pete Vickerman: Is the Stanley Road crossing still getting a 20mph zone?

Alex P: Yes. Will update on the website.
Peter V: Bramhall Park to A6 route – not clear what's being built as there's no plans available.

Alex P: We'll see what we can do.
Peter V: Ladybrook Valley – is there an update on the missing section? There's no info on the website.

Alex P: we want to deliver it as part of this round of improvements. It has funding allocated.
Kathy England: currently no suitable equestrian route for users on the Nelstrop diversion.

Alex P: difficulties around the route via the park, hands tied. Will take back to scheme leader. Meeting with MCC in the coming days.
Andy Howard (TfGM): funding for the Ladybrook Valley scheme is dependent on a successful business case. Likely to be submitted in the summer of the current calendar year.
Next up, an update on road safety and school travel.

Bikeability will hopefully recommence when schools resume.
The Road Safety team has signed up to Modeshift STARS, an incentive scheme encouraging schools to get children to walk and cycle to school and keep their travel plans up to date.
STARS is a national accreditation scheme. Fifteen schools will take part, including those within active neighbourhoods and Cheadle Primary School.
Helen Pidd: is there a list of schools that have been approached re STARS?

Rosie Batut: we can provide the list.
@cllrkatebutler says she's very keen to get primary schools in her ward involved.
@antheasaif asks: Given the current state of the roads, will training make any difference without infrastructure?

Rosie: it's getting the kids engaged, talking to parents. Identified infrastructure needs could be included in travel plans.
Anthea Cree: how much does it cost?

Amy Beasley: we can look at the costs. This initiative is just part of the picture and not something in isolation. Important that we look at this in the round.
Sarah McLelland: are local businesses being encouraged to take part in modal shift too? Can we engage local businesses in, e.g. not driving past schools?

Rosie: not something we're currently doing but it's a great idea.
Faye Drinkwater (TfGM): There's a lot of research to support that you need the 'soft' measures to support infrastructure (known as activation).
Next: disabilities and access controls. A number of concerns have been raised on both existing schemes and new schemes. Problems not just in Stockport but across GM. Erika is leading on a review of existing controls and looking at best practice.
Consultation to be held with user groups and stakeholders. Need to balance accessiblity with antisocial behaviour. Once recommendations are ready, will consult wider including this forum. Update should be at the next meeting.
There's a meeting on 8 March with transport portfolio leads across GM and this is on the agenda. David M says we need to find a balance, discouraging off-road bikers while ensuring cycling and walking isn't inconvenienced.
Great comment from @slowbikeiain: "Our non-negotiable starting point with barriers must be that all paths are fully compliant with disability law and accessible for disabled people, non-standard bikes, prams etc. We can then look at how we tackle ASB within that framwork."
Nick Rosenthal makes some great points about the existing leglislation being clear that disabled cyclists should be able to use existing routes as able-bodied cyclists. Also mentions the need to move away from shared paths.
Amy B: recognise the points in relation to access and we won't go against that. Review will look around new schemes and access controls on those; and on existing 'legacy' controls. Will be treated very slightly differently.
One from @tricyclemayor: important to remember that the Equality Act applies to all routes not just new ones.
Kathy England: on funding, Sustrans has funding to remove barriers if councils agree to it. Has also asked about the lack of equality impact assessment on new scheme where barriers are proposed.

Mark Glynn: we will definitely come back to these points at the next meeting.
Pete Abel is now providing an update on Love to Ride in Greater Manchester
Love to Ride is a place where you can log your rides, helping people cycle more and encouraging new cyclists.
Part of the platform is about linking up and supporting existing services and cycle training.
Cycle September 2020 was a massive success! @AndyBurnhamGM got involved.
A strong showing here for @StockportMBC and @GP_DevTeam
Top of the Stockport leaderboard, some bloke called Nick Robinson...
Throughout March is Ride it Out – with four themes of riding Relaxed, Healthy, Green and Free.
Find out more at
Next is Faye Drinkwater at TfGM on the self-led walking map for Vernon and Woodbank Parks. The main purpose is to raise the profile of the new route between the town centre and Bredbury, featuring the shiny new bridge.
(a short interlude as our internet link falls over)
Why create a map and signage for these parks?

The existing route runs along the river, which at this time of year is very muddy and not fully accessible. The new route will be created working with the Disability Forum to ensure it's accessible for all.
The map and signage will be created through co-design from the community, with help from TfGM. There have been online sessions on how to identify assets and the next session will be on how the map will look.
What does success look like?

– Activation of the new bridge
– Additional footfall in the park
– More people becoming aware of the services that are on offer
There's still time to get involved – the next meeting is this Wednesday. Email to get involved.
Next: update on the Cheadle and Cheadle Heath Active Neighbourhood, led by TfGM and Arup. Consultation closes today. Feedback will be reviewed with a follow-up meeting held in March.
A quick round of updates from the Walk Ride groups in Romiley, the Heatons and Reddish

Mike Padfield reports some problems with the field near the Twinings Brook bridge. When will it be completed/repaired?

Second: there are draining problems between Warwick Close and Demmings Lane. Can this be fixed?

Mark Glynn: will come back on this.
Kathy England: some concerns about recent planning applications, eg. Weir Mill and lack of joined-up thinking re an upgrade of the existing cycle network. Also problems around Lidl scheme on the A6. Can we ensure planning and highways are talking?

David M: will come back on this
Kathy: problem is that the planning application stops future schemes from being built.

David M: that's useful and will get back on that.
Rob Clark: could we have some info on the Streets for All plans for the A6?

Amy Beasley: Led by TfGM. Looking at A6 corridor more generally with neighbouring authorities.
And that's us done for tonight!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Walk Ride Stockport

Walk Ride Stockport Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!


Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

  2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!