Laura Jedeed Profile picture
Mar 10, 2021 13 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Hi there, I just got back from the District Courthouse, where @JuniperLSimonis documented the uncomfortable number of spent toxic crowd control munitions lying around behind the fence The district courthouse fen...
Some background:

The District Courthouse fence, erected during the Fed War in July, is coming down

A chunk of the concrete barricades supporting the fence have been removed

Last night, Dr. Simonis and others (including @AlissaAzar) noticed a rather prodigious number of...this A corroded canister in the ...Two small round silver cani...A severely corroded silver-...A small grey silver object ...
You may notice that the munitions are corroded

That, Dr Simonis explains, is because the chemicals still within and around the munitions have continued to react. As water flows over the munitions--as it has done all winter--the chlorates react with the metal A profoundly rusted metal c...
"Wait a minute," you might be thinking. "Does that mean that all winter, water has been running over these munitions and washing the chemical reagents and products direct into the storm drains and into the river?"

Yep! A storm drain behind the di...
There's a silver lining to the environmental damage caused by chenically-poisoned runoff; when construction crews moved the barricades they probably stirred up a smaller amount of toxic chemicals then they otherwise would have

Good news for the bicyclists who ride past the fence
(also good news for the courthouse employees who smoke in front of the District Courthouse, though I would recommend maybe NOT smoking out here) A picture of three panels o...
Dr. Simonis and others collected 5 or 6 munitions last night, but couldn't get to the ones behind the fence

So they called BES

When BES didn't respond, Dr Simonis tagged them in a tweet

Then they showed up and took pictures and left

While Dr. Simonis showed me the munitions behind the fence, they found several pieces of "scat"--or "overshot" as the cops call it--on the street side of the fence

These are the cardboard or metal barriers between reagents that keep them separate until the munition detonates A blue gloved hand holding ...A blue gloved hand holding ...
As dire as this all is, it gets worse. A lot of the concrete barricades are still in place

As we walked, we saw munitions visibly beneath them. Looks like the construction crew just plunked 'em down. No effort by the feds to clean up their toxic mess A long silver canister with...A distance shot of the same...
We also found the top section of a triple chaser CS gas munition wedged beneath a different barricade. They tried to extract it but it's just wedged in there too good

So I guess it'll stay there

With water running over it

Until someone decides to do something about it A gloved hand reaches into ...
We also spotted the top of a triple chaser grenade wedged under a different barrier. Dr Simonis attempted to extract it but we couldn't quite get it out

So I guess it'll just stay there

Washed over by rain

Until someone decides to do something about it
Who knows how much other crap is wedged under these barricades

@tedwheeler, @BESPortland, someone, anyone: maybe we should do something about this?
Epilogue: my phone finally decided to upload this video:

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Laura Jedeed

Laura Jedeed Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @LauraJedeed

May 24
Ok I'm at a bar with $3 PBRs and Lesbian Trivia on Wednesdays, let's talk about the Bronx Trump rally, where I just had an existential crisis

🧵
I did a text thread for the first bit of it before the Internet completely shat itself, which you can see here if you missed it

I was totally unable to upload video, so I'll do that in this thread

As I said in the original post this was a shockingly diverse crowd for a Trump rally, by which I mean still mostly white but with a very significant Black and Hispanic presence
Read 45 tweets
Jun 13, 2023
Good morning, I'm back for one day only to bring you Trumpening II: Miami Vice, where police have just kicked media and a handful of protesters out of the park

Maybe 30 people protesting on the cement area directly in front of the courthouse About 30 MAGA protesters ou...Maybe 3 protesters crossing...Police putting up caution t...A paramilitary vehicle with...
In case you missed it somehow, Trump is being arraigned for the funniest violation of the espionage act anyone has ever committed

Laura Loomer has called for a rally at noon, one hour from now
Press outnumbers protesters, but since this isn't NYC where every journalist lives it's less extreme than Manhattan
Read 70 tweets
Apr 4, 2023
Good morning and welcome to TRUMPWATCH IV: THE TRUMPENING here outside the Manhattan District Courthouse, where the, flags are flying and the press outnumbers protesters by at least 30-1 Flag: fuck Trump and fuck you for voting for him. A middle fFlag: trump or death. Picture of trump and the number 2024An absolute crush of press, 100 at least A handful of Black people in Blacks for Trump t-shirts, also
I was going to post a quick summary of what's going on today but I just got absolutely bodied by a crush of press struggling to get a shot of George Santos, who has arrived to great fanfare
I've been to more protests than I can count, well over 100, and this crush and chaos of press trying to get a shot of Santos is as chaotic as it gets without tear gas

A fight breaks out between two press: hard to say why but it nearly came to blows
Read 69 tweets
Apr 3, 2023
I'm posting this essay of a comment I just got on my Substack because it's an incredible example of how people on the right sometimes use the AESTHETICS of rationality without any actual rationality behind it There is too much text in this essay of a comment to fit intAgain, truncated because of character limit:  I trust you wi
Observe that this very long comment barely engages with the argument I'm making. Instead, he delivers an extremely long but oddly generalized critique of gender science, which this article mentions in passing but does not discuss at all
When, at last, he addresses the actual article--when protest violence is justified--he does not counter my argument that Billboard Chris shows up at these events specifically to provoke, or that rudenss comes at a cost. He simply repeats the same talking points we see everywhere
Read 7 tweets
Apr 3, 2023
Long before Hammurabi chiseled his Code into a clay tablet

Long after the Butlerian Jihad frees us from our technological shackles

There was, and will, be one basic rule of human interaction:

If you provoke someone far enough, You Will Get
Punched

laurajedeed.substack.com/p/on-protest-t…
Rudeness has always carried a price and always will, but never, in the recorded history of the world, has anyone been so good about crying about it for money as the people who routinely call others snowflakes
You are absolutely free to talk shit any time, anywhere. You are free to go up to the biggest guy at the bar and call him a pedophile

See how sorry people feel for you when he lays you out

He might go to jail, but no one is going to be confused about why he did it
Read 5 tweets
Apr 3, 2023
Hey, so are we just not going to talk about the part where @BillboardChris grabs her first?
@BillboardChris I just wrote a whole substack about the ethics of punching protest trolls, then go frame by frame to find my thumbnail and turns out it was self-defense the whole time
(publishing tomorrow but spoiler alert: being rude has always and will always carry consequences)
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(