Dr Meenal Viz 💙 Profile picture
Mar 31, 2021 12 tweets 5 min read Read on X
THREAD/

I've now read all 258 pages of the #RaceReport, so you don't have to.

It bats away issues of great significance and infantilizes those from ethnic minorities.

Here are my highlights/lowlights:
There are multiple bizarre attempts to underplay serious issues.

"Fear of hate crime among ethnic minorities is greater than its likelihood of occurring."

Well, yes. Just because you didn't get hit by a car on the way home doesn't mean you were wrong to look before you crossed.
On historical racism:

"We understand the idealism of these well-intentioned young people who have held on to, and amplified, this inter-generational mistrust."
"One highlight was Dizzee Rascal belting out his hit Bonkers."

I don't think that one black performer singing at the Olympics ended racism.
More on the Olympics (yes, we're still mad for London 2012):

"...there was a joyful expression of the contribution made by the Windrush Generation"

You mean, the same guys we deported? 🤔
There's a weird bit where the #RaceReport criticizes groups on focusing on "lived experiences" over "objective data."

This is the report's own lived experience and not representative of my objective data.
"There is no consensus on the meaning of fundamental words like 'racism' and 'discrimination.'"
"It is now possible for any act, including those intended to be well-meaning, to be classified as racist."

This is insulting to the point of its mere presence on the internet being a waste of our bandwidth speed.
There are repeated claims about the new generation being too sensitive to racism: "...stretching the definition of racism without objective data to support it."

What objective data would the #RaceReport accept? 🧐
"Why are black women 5x more likely to die in childbirth?"

This question is fundamental to our understanding of structural racism, and the #RaceReport dedicated a full three paragraphs to it.

It recommends "more research." 🤬

"More research needed" is the classic cop-out.
This reads like an op-ed rather than a balanced report:

"Most of us come from an older generation whose views were formed by growing up in the 1970s and 1980s. And our experience has taught us that you do not pass on the baton of progress by cleaving to a fatalistic account..."
CONCLUSION:

The 2021 #RaceReport is fatally flawed. Denying the existence of structural racism is to deny the lived experiences of millions.

Leaking headlines like "BRITAIN'S RACE REVOLUTION" in an institutionally racist tabloid tells us all credibility is shot.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr Meenal Viz 💙

Dr Meenal Viz 💙 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @drmeenalviz

Dec 9, 2022
THE GREAT PPE SCAM: A THREAD ⭐

1/13

It's taken two years for it to come to light, with Michelle Mone's involvement coming under scrutiny. 😲

But there is still a missing link...can we find it? 🤔

Here are my thoughts... ⬇️
2/

Back in March 2020, when my husband (@ThePalpitations) and I raised concerns about PPE, we briefly gained a big media profile.

This meant that *hundreds* of doctors, nurses and care workers phoned and emailed us in those early weeks.

They were worried about PPE.
3/ But we also received calls from other sources: CEOs in the manufacturing industry.

The story was always the same: the government made a huge deal that the UK would need a "wartime effort", and non-essential factories were otherwise going to shut.

CEOs wanted to help.
Read 14 tweets
Apr 19, 2022
Two years ago, I protested outside Downing Street.

I was six months’ pregnant, and working as a doctor on the frontline. 👩‍⚕️

Within hours, I knew my life would never be the same.

THREAD: 🧵
Just a few days before, Nurse Mary Agyapong had passed away.

She was 28 years old, and never got to hold her daughter. 

I was due to give birth at the same hospital where she died.
I was heartbroken by Mary’s passing, and I couldn’t sleep for days 💔

When I became aware of the details, including attempts to hide the story from public attention, I knew that this was a grave injustice.
Read 22 tweets
Jan 8, 2022
I felt uncomfortable watching the Sky News interview with consultant anaesthetist Dr Steve James, and I fear it will set us back. 😢

Badly. 😢

Why? 👇🏾 🧵1/14
Legitimate news source. Legitimate discussion. Legitimate setting. Legitimate doctor. Legitimate outfits. British accent. Regurgitates anti-vaxx sentiments. His opinion holds weight. It will be recycled and replayed for years, mostly out of context. It's the anti-vaxx wet dream.
Consultant anaesthetists are among the very best of us, and during the past two years there's no doubt Dr James will have saved/positively impacted countless lives. This should be recognised, and I do not wish to detract from this.
Read 15 tweets
Jan 4, 2022
The idea of the NHS being "overwhelmed" has been one of the most-repeated phrases of the pandemic. But it's been repeated so much that it seems that for much of the last two years, the NHS has been overwhelmed.

What do critical incidents & overwhelmed wards look like? 👇🏾
It is very simple: it means the occupational therapist might be absent, so they can't rehab the elderly patient who's had a fall, so they they stay in hospital. It means that the medication round gets delayed so antibiotics aren't given at optimal times.
It means that there are fewer doctors, working longer hours. If your case isn't life-threatening then you're well and truly in for a long wait in A&E. If you've been waiting months or years for a knee operation, and your surgeon is now isolating, you're out of luck.
Read 7 tweets
Jan 3, 2022
Last year, Tory MP Daniel Kawczynski spent £8,000 of your money on Polish lessons. 😧

Yet, I've found multiple examples of @DKShrewsbury on Polish TV & radio - here's part of a 16min interview from 4yrs ago where he speaks about EU, NATO etc. 🤔

What gives? 👇🏾
Sure, the Polish isn't perfect.

He trips up when he forgets how to say "work permit."

His accent is off.

But I'd suggest that most people wouldn't voluntarily and repeatedly appear on a foreign news channel, to discuss a complex topic, unless they were very confident.
A language tutor costs - at most - around £40/hr.

A language app costs around £200/year.

Kawczynski has claimed over £22,000 in the past few years on Polish lessons.

Can we justify that as value for money to the taxpayer? 🤔

Who gave the lessons? 🤔

Joke's on us, folks.
Read 4 tweets
Apr 19, 2021
One year ago, I protested outside Downing Street.

I was six months’ pregnant, and working as a doctor on the frontline. 👩‍⚕️

Within hours, I knew my life would never be the same.

THREAD: Image
Just a few days before, Nurse Mary Agyapong had passed away.

She was 28 years old, and never got to hold her daughter. 

She died at the same hospital where I was due to give birth. Image
I was heartbroken by Mary’s passing, and I couldn’t sleep for days.

When I became aware of the details, including attempts to obfuscate and hide the story from public attention, I knew that this was a grave injustice. Image
Read 25 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(