louie history help πŸ’™πŸ’› Profile picture
Apr 6, 2021 β€’ 13 tweets β€’ 4 min read β€’ Read on X
fun facts about the roman empire, a thread πŸͺ‘: Image
tw / drowning , abandonment

the romans believed that rome was started in 753 BC by the brothers romulus and remus, twin sons of the god of war, mars. the twins were raised by a wolf, and lived to defeat the king of alba longa, who left them in a river to drown as babies.
tw / murder

the twins successfully killed the king and founded their own city. the brothers couldn't agree on the name of the city, so they fought to death about it. romulus won the fight by killing his brother and became the first king of rome, named after him. ImageImage
half of the year were holidays (approximately 211 holidays), so the government had to make sure that people would have entertainment during these days. if not, they would riot for fun. this is why the government funded 'panem et circenses', bread and games.
the (free) games mainly consisted of gladiator fights and little games. during the holidays bread was free because the people couldn't afford it due to the high costs of life in rome. if the people didn't get free bread, they would riot which was an inconvenience for the emperor. ImageImage
tw / vomit , throw up

in ancient rome, it was common to vomit between meals to make place for more food
tw / death , murder

it's estimated that throughout the battles at the colosseum, over 500,000 people and over 1,000,000 animals were killed. the last documented gladiator fight was in 435 AD. ImageImage
tw / incest

roman emperor gaius caligula did some questionable things; making his horse a senator, having conversations with the moon, and committing incest with his sisters.
cw / nsfw

in ancient rome, flamingo tongue was a popular delicacy. another dish many people loved was mice drowned in wine, covered in honey. other questionable foods were pig nipple cracklings and cum cake. the ejaculate would come out of the cake like lava. Image
emperor nero is notorious for supposedly (not confirmed!!) singing and playing the fiddle while rome was burning to the ground during the great fire of rome. this made many people believe that he started the fire.
women in ancient rome dyed their hair red and blonde by using goat fat and beech wood ashes. Image
roman emperor trajan built the first ever shopping mall. the mall had multiple levels and over 150 outlets that sold anything from food to clothes.
tw / blood
cw / pregnancy , fertility

when a woman was having trouble with getting pregnant, a doctor would prescribe gladiator blood to increase fertility. gladiator blood was used for several other medical issues in ancient rome. Image

β€’ β€’ β€’

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
γ€€

Keep Current with louie history help πŸ’™πŸ’›

louie history help πŸ’™πŸ’› Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @louiehistory

Apr 9, 2021
The Story of Anne Frank: A Thread

Anne Frank is the well-known victim of Holocaust during World War II.
Why is Anne Frank so well-known?

Anne Frank is the most-known Jewish victim of the Holocaust due to her book, "The Diary of A Young Girl" which was discovered and published by her father, Otto Frank, after her demise giving details about their life in hiding.
Anne Frank was born in Frankfurt, Germany in June, 1929 to a Jewish Family. She had an elder sister. They migrated out of Germany in 1933 and reached Amsterdam, Holland, where they lived till 1944. They went into hiding in June, 1942 and were caught in August 1944.
Read 12 tweets
Apr 8, 2021
This isn't really a fun fact, more a life story I think?

So my great grandfather was a polish soldier in ww2, and he was half Jewish. When my great grandmother got pregnant by him he had too leave due too the war being almost over, and freeing more people. He didn't know she +
Pregnant.

A few months later my grandfather was born and my great grandmother remarried someone else, we didn't know till recently that our family was polish and Jewish.

We also have family in New York! He married someone else and had kids with the woman, so I have cousins +
In New York city!
Read 4 tweets
Apr 8, 2021
tw / the holocaust

as one of the admins who is jewish i thought i’d tell you a story. my grandmother lily escaped auschwitz. this is the story of that.
so she started off in the warsaw ghetto, and was transported to auschwitz, she never told me the story how she got out out the actual camp but did tell me the story of her trip to england.
so she was a child. they were on a cargo ship, the people in charge of the boat had the children hide with the fish, in case the nazi’s searched the boat (which they did) luckily they didn’t find the children.
Read 8 tweets
Apr 8, 2021
tw // holocaust
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Yom HaShoah begins today at sundown (april 7th) and continues until thursday night (april 8th)
this is a day of commemoration and remembrance for the six million Jews and five million others who were murdered in the Holocaust during 1941-1955
what is the holocaust?
the holocaust was the genocide of Jews and others by the Nazis during world war two
Read 12 tweets
Apr 7, 2021
Few Historical Events That Happened on This Day (April 7) - A Thread
1348: The first University in Central Europe, The Prague University was formed by Charles IV in modern-day Prague, Czech Republic. Image
1521: The World-famous Portuguese Navigator, Ferdinand Magellan's fleet reached Cebu, Phillipines. Image
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(