Xenocrypt Profile picture
Apr 7, 2021 9 tweets 2 min read Read on X
IDK about this as a bellwether for the following year.
Is there any research on how well-correlated "nonpartisan in name only" elections tend to be with partisan ones?
Actually when is the last time the D-aligned candidate did NOT win Wisconsin Superintendent Of Public Instruction? (It looks to me like Herbert Glover, John Benson, Elizabeth Burmaster, and of course Tony Evers were the "Dane County" candidates...)
IDK about before that. But if, so, man, talk about "issue ownership".
Democrats should try to get non-partisan positions on issues where they have issue ownership everywhere possible...sort of like how Republicans have uh, district attorneys?
Here's another question, why the hell did voters turn out the incumbent superintendent of public education in 1981. Google is not promising...
But why did you beat her, Bert.
2001...was Burmaster not the liberal candidate?
This makes me wonder if Thompson had been the left-endorsed candidate when she won in 1977 (and/or 1973?) but feuded with those groups in office?

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Xenocrypt

Xenocrypt Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @xenocryptsite

Aug 16
One thing I think people don't realize is how relatively new the highly-focused-Electoral-College campaign is. In 1976 for example, 20 states were within five points. Image
So obviously if 20 states are within five points, you have to basically run almost a de facto national campaign. Even in 1996, Bob Dole made a great show out of hitting up 21 states in person at the end of the campaign.

That both campaigns would more or less agree on what the fewer than ten "tipping point states" are and focus their campaign activity overwhelmingly on those, I feel like that's basically a post-2000 thing. Maybe I'm wrong.
Read 6 tweets
Oct 15, 2023
"A bunch of broadly satirical upper-class jerks who are parasitic about this one rich guy are going to get shown up by a WOC who seems to be a supporting character but then becomes the surprise protagonist of the movie, and also the biggest jerk is the killer."
I liked both "Knives Out" movies but "Glass Onion" is a little like...too close to the first one. RJ basically has a blank check with these.
IDK how much RJ influences the individual plots of "Poker Face", he's not the showrunner, but those also got a bit samey pretty quickly. Ellen Barkin and Cherry Jones had virtually identical exits just one episode apart.
Read 11 tweets
Sep 4, 2023
I feel like making Anakin a little kid in "Phantom Menace" really made a lot of stuff needlessly weird and backed them into a corner.
Suddenly you have one fewer movie where Anakin gets to be "a good friend, the best pilot in the galaxy" etc, and the romance is just...real weird on both sides...
Like the prequels are three movies of, allegedly, "the Anakin story", and he's basically a different character in the first one, so you waste one-third of your runtime.
Read 9 tweets
Jul 12, 2023
Several people saying Ds should have vetted Mesha Mainor better, so I wanted to see her endorsements etc..in a few minutes of Googling I cannot find any coverage of her primary at all, which was only in 2020. Did she just have some name rec from this Atlanta city council run?
Like I probably just don't know where to look, you'd think an open safe-seat state legislative primary in a big city would get some coverage from someone.
I guess there's...her own Vimeo page.
Read 9 tweets
May 13, 2023
Charitably, it's as a (dubious) proxy for the larger group of "Hispanic voters/Hispanic Texas voters". Uncharitably it's because Squares On Map Have Color.
I know it's not a county map, but that area does more or less have like literally the only 90%+ Hispanic counties in America (outside Puerto Rico).
So it's not prima facie unreasonable to look at South Texas as a proxy for Hispanic voters in general. You know, if it were like, 1925, and that was the best we could do. Although TBH sometimes I wonder if that isn't still sadly the best we can do.
Read 6 tweets
May 13, 2023
Trying the new entry in the Bridgerton Cinematic Universe.
Kind of terrified they'll go into like the actual politics of the Bridgerton setting which there's absolutely no way to do.
Does the American revolution exist in the Bridgerton universe. Does the slave trade. I'd rather not know.
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(