Alfredo Canziani Profile picture
Apr 8, 2021 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
— Context —

Speaking about the transformer architecture, one may incorrectly talk about an encoder-decoder architecture. But this is *clearly* not the case.
The transformer architecture is an example of encoder-predictor-decoder architecture, or a conditional language-model.
The classical definition of an encoder-decoder architecture is the autoencoder (AE). The (blue / cold / low-energy) target y is auto-encoded. (The AE slides are coming out later today.)
Now, the main difference between an AE and a language-model (LM) is that the input is delayed by one unit. This means that a predictor is necessary to estimate the hidden representation of a *future* symbol.
It's similar to a denoising AE, where there is a temporal corruption.
We also saw how a conditional predictive energy based model includes an additional input x (in pink). The input x can be considered as “context” for the given prediction.
Now, putting the two things together, we end up with a 2×encoder-predictor-decoder type architecture.
This is what was going on in my mind when I was just trying to explain how the “encoder-decoder transformer architecture” was supposed to work. Well, it didn't make any sense. 🙄
For the part concerning the attention, you can find a summary below.
In addition to which, I've added the explicit distinction between self-attention (thinking about how to make pizza) and cross-attention (calling mom, asking for all her pizza recipes) slide.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Alfredo Canziani

Alfredo Canziani Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @alfcnz

Jun 2, 2022
⚠️ Long post warning ⚠️
5 years ago, for my birthday, out of the blue (this was so much a prank) *The Yann LeCun* texted me (no, we didn't know each other) on Messenger offering me a life changing opportunity, which I failed to obtain the ‘proper’ way, but got it by accident. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Image
Why did I fail? I'm not that smart.
Don't even start telling me I'm humble. I can gauge far too well the brain-power of NYU PhD students surrounding me, let alone my colleagues.
Did I manage to make it after years of faking it? Not in the slightest.
So, did he make a mistake picking this quirky Italian? I'd say no.
While working on an autonomous driving project, as instructed, I went out of my way to help with teaching for as much as I could.
My dream was to teach world wide, and YouTube let me just do that.
Read 9 tweets
Sep 27, 2021
Let's try this. Hopefully, I won't regret it, haha. 😅😅😅
Sat 2 Oct 2021 @ 9:00 EST, live stream of my latest lecture.
Prerequisites: practica 1 and 2 from DLSP21.
① Gentle introduction to EBM for classification.
② Basic @PyTorch training instructions and rationale behind them.
Read 5 tweets
Sep 16, 2021
Yesterday, in @kchonyc's NLP class, we've learnt about the input (word and sentence) and class embeddings, and how these are updated using the gradient of the log-probability of the correct class, i.e. log p(y* | x).
Say x is a sentence of T words: x = {w₁, w₂, …, w_T}.
1h(w) is the 1-hot representation of w (its index in a dictionary).
e(w) is the dense representation associated with w.
ϕ(x) = ∑ e(wₜ) bag-of-word sentence representation.
∇e(w) = ∇ϕ(x) = u_y* − 𝔼_{y|x}[u_y]
We'll add to e(w) the correct class embedding u_y* while removing what the network thinks it should be instead 𝔼_{y|x}[u_y]. *If* these two are the same, then the gradient will be zero, and nothing will be added or subtracted.
Read 6 tweets
Aug 12, 2021
📣 NYU Deep Learning SP21 📣
Theme 4 / 3: EBMs, advanced

Lecture 7:
Lecture 8:
Lecture 9:
Learn about regularised EBMs: from prediction with latent variables to sparse coding. From temporal regularisation methods to (conditional) variational autoencoders.
We think that not only babies find peekaboo funny.
You let us know, okay?
😅😅😅
Read 8 tweets
Jun 28, 2021
Learn all about self-supervised learning for vision with @imisra_!

In this lecture, Ishan covers pretext invariant rep learning (PIRL), swapping assign. of views (SwAV), audiovisual discrimination (AVID + CMA), and Barlow Twins redundancy reduction.
Here you can find the @MLStreetTalk's interview, where these topics are discussed in a conversational format.
Here, instead, you can read an accessible blog post about these topics, authored by @imisra_ and @ylecun.
Read 8 tweets
Jun 25, 2021
Learn about modern speech recognition and the Graph Transformer Networks with @awnihannun!

In this lecture, Awni covers the connectionist temporal classification (CTC) loss, beam search decoding, weighted finite-state automata and transducers, and GTNs!
«Graph Transformer Networks are deep learning architectures whose states are not tensors but graphs.
You can back-propagate gradients through modules whose inputs and outputs are weighted graphs.
GTNs are very convenient for end-to-end training of speech recognition and NLP sys.» Image
«They can be seen as a differentiable form of WFST (weighted finite-state transducers) widely used in speech recognition.

Awni is the lead author of libgtn, a GTN library for PyTorch.»
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(