Nathaniel Barrett Profile picture
Apr 23, 2021 6 tweets 2 min read Read on X
Disappointing to here CPC denied the proposed project at the 3G intersection. I'll post more thoughts after watching the video, but it sounds like it got veto'd by neighborhood pastoralists again. lakewood.advocatemag.com/2021/04/22/dal… Image
So glad we get to keep this streetscape a while longer instead of 10' sidewalks and 15 affordable units. ImageImage
Ahhhh, we might see the roof from the lake or something! Image
We must preserve the neighborhood character of Grand Avenue! Image
The view from the lake will be ruined! Image
Watch the presentation for yourself starting at 1:35:30 dallastx.swagit.com/play/04222021-…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Nathaniel Barrett

Nathaniel Barrett Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ncoxbarrett

Mar 31, 2022
Ever since I was stairpilled by @holz_bau I've been curious why scissors stairways don't count for two stairways even if fire separated, so I just started flipping through old versions of the IBC.

FYI: I am not an architect or engineer, or design professional of any sort.
The first mention I saw of it was in the 2003 IBC. I found a note in a code forum that they'd heard it was because of terrorism concerns after the WTC attacks. ImageImage
Sure enough, in the NIST report, they specifically mention that scissor stairs shouldn't be allowed to count as multiple stairs. ImageImage
Read 6 tweets
Mar 3, 2022
Just tuned into the CPC hearing, they're currently voting on whether to allow a .3 acre lot to be subdivided into 2 parcels...some don't want to allow it because it isn't consistent with neighborhood character...ugh.
The reasoning? While there are smaller lots in the neighborhood, but there are also lots this size, so we shouldn't get rid of it?
Now commissioners are confused about the zoning vs. the platting. They're not sure what happens with the zoning. Fortunately it's in the staff report. Image
Read 10 tweets
Mar 3, 2022
Downtown Dallas Skyscrapers sounds like a tough business

Bank of America Plaza
1985: Built for $300M
1998: Sold for $320M
Listed and withdrawn in 2011 and 2020
Renaissance Tower
1974: Built for $80M
1995: Sold for $105M
2006: Sold for $150M
2021-Default and recapitalized on $118M loan
Comerica Tower
1985: Built (couldn't find construction cost)
1991: Defaults on $230M loan
1997: Sold for $238M
2006: Sold for $216M
Read 7 tweets
Jun 18, 2021
Like many cities, Dallas started downzoning ("backzoning") large swaths of the city. In this 1977 article they discuss a proposal to downzone 120 blocks all at once. Conveniently timed just before election day! Image
A frequently cited reason for requesting downzoning is that banks wouldn't lend on single-family homes in areas zoned multi-family. Is there any truth to this? @JakeAnbinder Image
Tfw you love survivorship bias Image
Read 6 tweets
Jun 17, 2021
It's been a hot week. You know what'd help with that? Parking Reform. Guess what? Today the ZOAC is discussing this very topic! 🥳
Sadly, there are 2 topics ahead of Parking Reform, including amending P(A) districts. This is very arcane! Funny enough, I actually own a property with one of the few P(A) districts in Dallas!
Basically ZOAC is discussing allowing amendments to P(A) districts to go through a less onerous process than a full zoning review.
Read 22 tweets
Jun 4, 2021
I have THOUGHTS:
1) Permitting delays, a recent phenomenon, are likely temporary (but should be fixed).

2) High labor and materials costs are annoying but also temporary and out of the City's control.
The article just barely touches on the remaining factor: "land costs", lack of construction sites and NIMBY-ism which are interrelated and definitely largely within the City's control.
Dallas' residential land is zoned for about 85% detached single family homes. Another 10% allows only low-rise moderate density housing. We don't even really allow ADUs!
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(