Cathy Young 🇺🇸🇺🇦 Profile picture
Apr 24, 2021 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Highlights from my latest @ArcDigi newsletter, which is paywalled for now.

cathy.arcdigital.media/p/revisiting-j…
What many derided as "Sicknick trutherism" -- the idea that Brian Sicknick, the Capitol police officer who died the day after the Jan. 6 riot, wasn't murdered as initially reported -- is now vindicated by the ME's report. I was among many journalists who were wrong.
Does this vindicate Glenn Greenwald's claim that the media deliberately lied about Sicknick's death? Not quite.
And here's how Greenwald distorts a New York Times story on Sicknick's death. ("Struck with a fire extinguisher" becomes "skull savagely bashed in.")
Meanwhile Greenwald is still praising Revolver News for its Sicknick reportage, without acknowledging its ludicrously sanitized portrayal of the riot.
Incidentally, Tucker Carlson, on whose show Greenwald has appeared to discuss the Sicknick story, is also pushing full-on Jan. 6 apologism, ignoring ample evidence of serious mob violence and injuries to nearly 140 cops.
Has there been bad rhetoric and hypocrisy on this from Democrats and progressives? Sure. That doesn't excuse bad rhetoric and hypocrisy on the right or the maverick left.
(For more, please subscribe to @ArcDigi!)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Cathy Young 🇺🇸🇺🇦

Cathy Young 🇺🇸🇺🇦 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @CathyYoung63

Dec 17, 2022
1. I really cannot stress enough how much I've had it with the Elon Twitter drama, but I did look into the jet tracker story, so... 🧵
2. The narrative we're getting from the pro-Musk side, e.g. @AbigailShrier, is that Musk's ban on the ElonJet account & other accounts that tweeted links to the jet tracker was motivated by security concerns after an attack on his limo with his kid inside.
3. Countless people have suggested that (1) the flight tracker is equivalent to posting someone's home address or exact location and (2) the motive for it was to harass or threaten Musk.
Read 15 tweets
Aug 13, 2022
I see some are up in arms about this tweet so lemme explain:
1. Hobbes et al. claim that mobbings which destroy people's careers/schooling (& even upend lives) to punish "bad" speech are just "consequence culture." This is a satirical/hyperbolic comment on that, not an equation.
2. Am I being unfair to Hobbes in particular? Nah, he routinely smears and lies, as I think I conclusively documented here (& no this isn't personal - if he's ever attacked me I'm not aware of it. he blocked me after this piece)
arcdigital.media/p/nothing-to-s…
3. The "'bad' speech is violence/harm" trope prevalent on the intersectional/social justice left does, in fact, blur violence & speech. If you're upset about my tweet but not, say, about the petition saying Dave Chapelle is "dangerous" & upholds a "violent" culture .... well.
Read 8 tweets
Jun 6, 2022
A few years ago some nice folks from my condo complex banded together to block a low-cost housing development about a mile away. The flyer they sent out was just dripping with an "oh noes! *those people's* kids are gonna sneak in to play on our basketball court!" mentality
I was SOOO tempted to respond to their request for support with a letter telling them exactly what I thought about their effort, but well, making an enemy of your condo association is probably not a great idea
Read 5 tweets
Mar 13, 2022
@wil_da_beast630 1. Saddam Hussein was in violation of a bunch of UN resolutions, some of them pertaining to the conditions after which he was allowed to stay in power post-Gulf War I.
@wil_da_beast630 2. The US didn't just say "OK, we're going in, here's a long nonsensical lecture on why Iraq was always American land to justify our invasion." We *tried* to make a case to the UN. We also built a fairly large coalition (UK, Australia among others)
@wil_da_beast630 3. We didn't slaughter hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. Nearly all Iraqi civilians who were killed were killed either by the insurgency or in sectarian warfare. (Yes, we helped unleash that by blundering in. Still not the same thing.)
Read 4 tweets
Nov 24, 2021
So the responses to this tweet (& @rasmansa's quote tweet saying that I'm promoting a baseless panic ) are very typical:
"LOL this isn't happening, you're nuts"
"LOL what's the big deal about stating your pronouns?"
"Being asked what your pronouns are isn't pressure" (my fav)
Oh there'a a major corporate memo encouraging employees to state pronouns and practice gender-neutral pronouns at home so they feel natural? LOL who cares!
goldmansachs.com/careers/blog/p…
Harvard Business Review is also on the bandwagon, even instructing people that if someone uses both "she" and "they," it's important to vary them.

hbr.org/2021/06/my-pro…
Read 11 tweets
Oct 18, 2021
It's cute that Bailey says this while RT'ing a text which shows that they explicitly said one of their reasons for going to war was that the British Crown was stopping them from dismantling that institution.
The thing is, there really is a complicated history here that doesn't place the Founders in a particularly good light. All the evidence shows that they understood slavery to be deeply immoral & incompatible with the principles of freedom they espoused.
However, as they mobilized the country to war & then set about creating a republic, they realized that they needed the support of slaveholders to succeed, so anti-slavery was ditched (& both principles & black people were thrown under the bus).
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(