Anvisa (Brazil's drug regulator) has just announced it has denied the request to import Sputnik V vaccine because of absence of data & issues with the development of the vaccine, including vax quality. g1.globo.com/bemestar/vacin… Meeting still streaming ..1/n
...Unanswered questions about the vaccine include basic biological data about its actions in the body, data on adverse events (including questions about thromboembolic events) ...2/n
...I think with all the focus on Lancet paper for phase 3, people forget how little study there had been of this vax: eg only 38 people in phase 1/2 trial version with lots of problems. (absolutelymaybe.plos.org/2020/09/11/pha…) Assessing a vaccine isn't only about the phase 3 trial results...3/n
...They pointed to issues with reporting of adverse events in the phase 3 trial (I wrote about this here: absolutelymaybe.plos.org/2021/03/16/com…). Remember: deficiencies in a trial/study program are not the same as deficiencies in a vax, but they affect how certain we can be about the vax...4/n
..*So* wishing I understood Portuguese properly right now! Big thanx to @gutoaqui who's translating these slides as I post them.
Here pointing to uncertainties around vax efficacy because of biases that could arise from the way they ascertained & determined cases of Covid-19..5/n
... This is depressing. Basically, the developers have failed to provide enough data to back up their claims of efficacy & have left a string of open questions about te vaccine's development. ...6/n
...Questions about quality control of manufacturing. (I'm now at the point I'm glad I don't understand enough Portuguese - this is too depressing) ...7/n
...Distilling some of the fundamental issues lacking here: assurance of potency of the formulation (if I understand that correctly) & basic issues about how replication for the adenoviral vectors in both shots...8/n
...The catalog of what's missing to explain the action of these vaccines continues: here basics about spike protein & replication of the Ad26 component (the 1st dose of Sputnik V). (I'm only including some of the slides, not all of them) ...9/n
...Onto trying to establish the credentials of the manufacturing sites: couldn't, if I'm understanding this correctly.
I've seen enough. This seems very thorough work again from Anvisa. For those who want to see more, a reminder it's here 10/10
@gutoaqui Thank you so much!
PS: The adenovirus in Covid vax is not supposed to replicate (it's supposed to be just a carrier). Specific critical detail on Anvisa's Sputnik V evaluation I missed: replicating adenovirus was identified in every lot of the vax inspected coronavirus.atarde.com.br/diretoria-da-a… HT @swiftshoes
Important PPS: the Ad26 vax lots (first Sputnik V shot) not yet analyzed - this is what was identified in every lot of the Ad5 vax (2nd shot) HT @Dereklowe

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Hilda Bastian, PhD @hildabast@mastodon.online

Hilda Bastian, PhD @hildabast@mastodon.online Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @hildabast

Jun 4, 2022
FDA report on the Novavax vaccine questions whether there's a causal relationship for myocarditis/pericarditis after the vax. This 🧵digs into their report, the Novavax response & submission, & rollout data... (1/8)
...FDA report on Friday lists 6 cases in vaxed arms of 2 trials, 4 of which don't have a specific possible alternative cause identified. This was versus 1 in placebo (not injection-related). The 2 trials had ca 27,000 vaxed participants... fda.gov/media/158912/d…
...FDA report expressed concern because a pre-marketing database of ~40,000 had more potential cases, & this hadn't been a pre-marketing safety signal for mRNA vaccines: so to them it raised Q if it could be higher for this vax than for mRNA vaxes...
Read 8 tweets
May 5, 2022
#tbt This is Toshiko Yuasa, the first woman physicist from Japan. It's 1940 & with her science prospects at home blocked by gender prejudice, she'd managed to get into wartime Paris to do physics research... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiko_Y…
...The drawcard in Paris was Marie Curie's daughter, Irène Joliot-Curie & her husband Frédéric. Yuasa was inspired by their papers on artificial radioactivity.
Here's Toshiko & Irène at the Joliot-Curie home in 1941... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ir%C3%A8n…
...Yuasa was born in downtown Tokyo in 1909, the next-to-youngest of 7 children. Her mother came from a long line of poets, in the family of a renowned 19th century scholar, Tachibana Moribe. Her father was an engineer & inventor who worked at the patent office...
Read 9 tweets
Apr 27, 2022
When it hit me that I knew nothing about early women scientists in Ukraine, I went down a mind-blowing rabbit hole...
So hard to pick, but I whittled down to 15 amazing stories of women born before WWII.
Today, part 1, with the first 5 women 🧵 @PLOS absolutelymaybe.plos.org/2022/04/27/ear…
...This is Maria V. Pavlova (1854-1938), at her desk in the 1920s with fossils. She corrected an error in assumptions about the ancestry of horses... Image
...Sofia Okunevska-Morachevska (1865-1926) was an activist doctor - the 1st medically qualified woman in the Austro-Hungarian empire, not just Ukraine.... Image
Read 23 tweets
Feb 28, 2022
Such terribly sad news: the loss of Chris Del Mar, a giant of the Australian – and global – evidence community.
💔 for Tammy & family.
You'll hear a lot about this wonderful, lovable person & his amazing life ....
...Here's a quick overview from late last year, when Chris was awarded the Order of Australia - one of my faves because of the lovely family photo.... www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/profess…
...I want to add to the remembrances & accolades for Chris, memories of a specific stream of his life - patient empowerment. From back in the early 2000s when we used to use this photo. He was the Chair of the Board of the consumer health information NGO I headed back then...
Read 5 tweets
Feb 2, 2022
1st Covid human challenge trial results shows it is feasible: 34 people were inoculated with a very low dose. It was enough to infect 18 people (53%) & 89% of them developed symptoms ...🧵 researchsquare.com/article/rs-112… HT @HelenBranswell
..Viral shedding quantifiable within 40 hours. They concluded up to 44% of infections would happen before virus can be detected. Results support 10-day isolation periods & professionally-administered LFA/RAT was "highly reliable in predicting the disappearance of viable virus"...
...The people were 18-29 years old, & stayed in individual negative pressure quarantine rooms. No safety signals in these first 28 days of follow-up. (They'll follow them for a year)...
Read 9 tweets
Sep 22, 2021
First phase 3 efficacy results for the Clover vax are out in a detailed press release. cloverbiopharma.com/news/83.html

Great relief: it's a critical vax for the COVAX supply. Protein subunit vax, with a Dynavax adjuvant & alum. Records on it: zotero.org/groups/2528572… ...1/n HT @lutl88 Image
...The trial has 30,128 participants in Philippines, Brazil, Colombia, South Africa, Belgium. All infections sequenced were variants. Because of vax programs in these countries, not many older people...2/n
...For people without previous SARS-CoV-2 infection, 207 tested positive & 146 of these sequenced so far. 73% were Delta (most of them), Mu, & Gamma...3/n
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(