Park Lore✨ Profile picture
May 2, 2021 19 tweets 7 min read Read on X
Increases my appreciation! Maybe having some “crushed” Stark buildings around the tower would reinforce this idea of the supernatural cosmic weight of its arrival. Would also explain why the “Avengers Campus” border is where it is; like the tower’s part of its quarantine zone.
Okay, I am going to do something SO DUMB, which is to try to make the Hollywoodland -> Avengers Campus transition make ANY sense. This is totally foolhardy. It doesn't make sense. It can't make sense. It isn't really supposed to make sense. No one cares. Ok.
I guess if the "timeline" is Stark Motors facility closed -> a few decades pass -> Avengers Campus established -> Collector's tower "materializes," then a lot of narrative heavy lifting has just been abandoned in front of the tower. The "crackle" helps, but it's a TOUGH space.
Operationally, it makes great sense for the AC marquee to be where it is, on Sunset (we still calling it that?), in front of the tower where the red brick trolley tracks turn into the striped AC pavers. The ride is in AC. Yes. But NARRATIVELY, it's weird!
Because if the Campus and its boundaries were established (and that marquee was placed where it is) THEN the Tower arrived (which is the only timeline that makes sense), we SHOULD see evidence of historic Stark buildings or new Campus buildings crushed by its arrival.
(Without evidence of the tower having materialized on existing Stark / Avengers facilities, the implication is that they paved an empty lot adjacent to the Campus and put a marquee there just in hopes a space warehouse prison power plant would pop up there.)
But remains of the Stark Motors aesthetic AROUND the tower would fix it! Like there was a whole other half of the facility that was being "Avengered," but in the midst of reno, this hideous tower appeared. THAT explains the AC marquee on Sunset and striped pavers in front of GOTG
So imagine if the transition BEGAN on Sunset Blvd. First, clad the lower level of the Animation Building's east face in brick / Stark Motors aesthetic so the upper half looks like a later Pym adaptative build-out of a second story.
(They're already doing the Pym thing on the south face that looks into Avengers Campus, but doing it on the east face along Sunset would smoth the transition from Hollywoodland and bring in that Stark Motors layering of "history". Plus they LOVE adaptative reuse!)
(Also just noticing that that ⤴️ concept art seems to indicate they were going to do somewhat of an alien forest around the tower, which I think would also work, but still doesn't explain its presense "in" AC's border / past its marquee. Whatever. No one cares but me.)
Anyway, let's put "Stark Motors" billboards along the rooftops of Hollywood Blvd. Then, as you turn onto Sunset, you don't see the AC marquee (since it's low); you see a red brick wall just PAST it with this historic sign reading "Stark Motors." Blends into Hollywoodland!
Only as you get closer do you see that the Stark Motors sign is old and the newer Avengers Campus concrete entry wall communicating the car-manufacturing facility's adaptive reuse. And THAT'S where you see what happened...
Rather than the tower just nicely sitting on some well-appointed pavement with "spacey" streetlights (🥴), it's literally LANDED in an old Stark Motors building that's basically been flattened beneath it. This tower's gravity has CRUSHED the central Stark factory.
In other words, give me some I-Drive WonderWorks sh*t where the tower has literally set itself down in a smouldering, sparking, steel-and-brick shell of an old Stark Motors factory... Girders, leaning brick walls, collapsing inward around the tower.
Could literally just be two half-collapsed "walls" that would instantly communicate what happened here. The reason this plot of land is part of AC is because it was the MAIN Stark Motors factory. Now, it's been quarantined from this weird space anomaly that's crushed it.
Like, instead of the flimsy reuse of the "garden" queue, you're in the open air, half-exploded shell of the Stark factory that's just been burst open by this entity. It's splattered with cosmic "crackle" and busted windows created by this warp in space and time...
Of course it's not perfect, because an art deco space warehouse prison powerplant with pipes and palm trees wasn't meant to loom over a 1940s Hollywood and Avengers Campus doesn't "fix" that. But I really feel that just adding that "shell" of a Stark Factory helps.
It makes it obvious WHERE this happening by anchoring it into AC's history and "place", makes it obvious WHY it's within the AC "boundary" and paved, and answers HOW it into the larger AC mythology. Even excuses the Red Car Trolley – it used to bring Stark workers to the factory!
I totally get that no one seriously cares enough to be mad about it, but damn, one brick facade would really pull this corner of the park together narratively, smooth that transition, and make GOTG feel like part of AC. Plus, this is Park LORE babay! 🤓

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Park Lore✨

Park Lore✨ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ThemeParkLore

Dec 16, 2022
Literally a week ago I tweeted that it was time to pull back or rethink the projection mapping on Mara. Now I see this and 🤤. So let me quickly lay out why the first scenes in this ride are so powerful, and why I'm cautiously optimistic about this apparent mock-up.
I'm sure you know the story – the Temple of the Forbidden Eye is home to the lost god Mara, who is said to grant any who reach the temple's heart one of three gifts: timeless youth, earthly riches, or future sight. *Unless* you look in his dark and corroded eyes, then... 💀
What I love is that story-wise, the queue is meant to serve as the "rising action," seeing carvings and frescoes of Mara – always with eyes closed or covered – and '30s news reels of the "double dealing deity's" two-faced promise.
Read 25 tweets
Sep 7, 2022
THREAD: So, here’s a weird aside. On my return road trip from Maine, I swung by a bucket list spot I’ve always been fascinated by: Centralia, Pennsylvania. It’s a rainy, terrible day, so not all of these pics are mine (I’ll credit in alt text), but what a weird story… 🧵⤵️ A white road sign with blue...
It’s sort of hard to separate fact from fiction with Centralia. Lots of actual books have been written about it. Podcasts have covered it. It’s an American urban legend with real, living people involved. But here’s the history, as I understand it…
Centralia was a little town just like many in east-central Pennsylvania – a sweet mining town. It’s built over miles of anthracite coal mines that snake under the town in all directions. A sepia tone photo of Centr...
Read 28 tweets
Sep 6, 2022
TTD 101: If you aren’t in the loop with thrills, in the ‘90s new roller coaster manufacturers exploded onto the scene with increasingly ambitious coaster models, and operators like Premier, Paramount, Six Flags, and Cedar Fair bought into record-breakers BIG TIME.
The “Coaster Wars” of the ‘90s were a time of radical fandom and frenzied discussion boards arguing over who would end up with the most coasters, the fastest this, the tallest that, etc.
Read 11 tweets
Jul 28, 2022
Theme park fans...! You know that theme park that lives in your head? The one you've dreamed of, doodled, & "armchair Imagineered" for so long, it feels real? This summer, I decided to finally sit down and put mine on paper. Er, Twitter.

Welcome to FANTASTIC WORLDS... ✨🧵⤵️! The logo for "Disney F...
Backstory: I sketched the first pieces of this park a decade ago (which I'll show at the end). It has changed a LOT since then, but I couldn't be happier with its "final" form. It just flowed. It feels so right. All at once, I'm in love, proud, & bummed it'll never be real. 😅
Obviously in this loooooong thread, I'll provide a "walkthrough" of the park, going land-by-land & briefly giving you the elevator pitch for rides & attractions. But if you REALLY want to dig deep, my ridiculously in-depth, design-y thoughts will be here: parklore.com/vault/fantasti…
Read 211 tweets
Jul 22, 2021
I've spent the last few weeks on a project I'm really excited to share... HAND-ILLUSTRATING the layouts of EVERY Disney & Universal Park! (It took forever. Please don't let these flop. 🥺) It's wild how much of a park's story and personality is told through its paths! 🧵⤵️
DISNEYLAND is a work of ART! These designers wrote the rules as they went. Look at its paths – organic, fluid, pouring into nooks & crannies, threading around attractions like arteries! Disneyland is chaotically beautiful, shaped by chance.

More: parklore.com/vault/paths (2/18)
MAGIC KINGDOM is like looking at a snowflake. Symmetrical! Geometric! There's a FLOW built-in to carry you! You can see why some call it impersonal or corporate. I'd rather say EFFICIENT. Magic Kingdom OPERATIONALIZED the Disneyland model!

More: parklore.com/vault/paths (3/18)
Read 19 tweets
May 1, 2021
It's the 32nd Anniversary of Disney's Hollywood Studios at #wdw! With its lavish boulevards of Golden Age grandeur, beige boxy soundstages, and modern IP lands, this park is a big ole lovable mess of contradictions. Park Lore's got a few in-depth stories to celebrate it... 🧵
1. One of just two rides open when the park debuted, THE GREAT MOVIE RIDE was an epic, cinematic dark ride through the greatest scenes in cinema history; "A Spectacular Journey *Into* The Movies!" Here's the story of this closed classic: parklore.com/lost-legends/g…
2. The Studios' only other ride in 1989 was the flip side of the Tinseltown story. The BACKSTAGE STUDIO TOUR was a multi-hour guided visit to a "real, working" production facility... that never really worked. It's one of the most-read stories on Park Lore! parklore.com/declassified-d…
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(