owen cyclops Profile picture
May 3, 2021 7 tweets 5 min read Read on X
gonna post something right now. i posted this sometime late last year but something was wrong with the font i used so it just kind of slipped under the radar (maybe). i fixed it. its kind of long so, please enjoy a special episode of [m99], for ur viewing pleasure, here:
[tweet 1/5]
[tweet 2/5]
[tweet 3/5]
[tweet 4/5]
[tweet 5/5]
fixed this up because im getting the book together, of the first batch of collected comics, today. its gonna be pretty long, like 200 pages or so. ill post about it but if you want me to put you on the list to hit up when its ready u can comment here or dm me (or email, whatever)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with owen cyclops

owen cyclops Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @owenbroadcast

Apr 21
tech interfaces used to be much more actively customizable. you could just poke in and make everything green, pink, anything. this is much less of a thing today. this probably stems from a kind of allergy to sincerity - someone might see your interface and see how much you cared
jordan peterson really got his whole thing locked into a single meme: "clean up your room". whats lesser known is what the second step was: make it beautiful. the idea was that by trying to make something look nice, you would then be forced to be open to harsh personal criticism
regardless of what you think about him or his work, this is true. if you hang a painting up in your room, people are going to come over, and they might say, "...thats the painting you chose?" - and you have nowhere to go. you can only say, well, yeah. you're total unguarded.
Read 4 tweets
Apr 20
'medical mundi' is a term i started to use, internally, at a time in my life when i was often in and out of hospitals.

the 'medical world' really is 'a world'. it is a realm. it has its own way of being, its own paradigm, and its self-contained.

thats medical mundi.

... Image
you dont really notice when you enter medical mundi. something happens, and you go to the hospital. thats just what you do. you're just there.

but, you notice when you leave. you're back in the parking lot - hours, days, weeks later. like a stone, you hit the earth. you're back Image
i have lots of memories like that. suddenly, you realize you were just in a whole separate universe. thats usually when it all hits you. things dont really hit you in medical mundi. people talk to you, you're doing stuff, but you're kind of just there. its just happening to you. Image
Read 22 tweets
Apr 15
[esoteric baby semiotics]

it is difficult to imagine something more wholesome than a baby. children are, in a way, the benchmark for what wholesome is. likewise, if you were asked to think of content that was unwholesome one subject that would immediately come to mind is sex

it seems noteworthy then for those interested in symbolism, cosmology, religion, or sociology (life in general) to observe that these are only oppositional concepts when it comes to practical day to day terrestrial life. on deeper level, they are more than directly related. Image
the way hot and cold are apparent opposites but are in reality extensions of one thing (temperature), our first instinct for most wholesome thing and least wholesome thing are actually part of the same process. the baby is the completion of the sexual act. children come from sex.
Read 39 tweets
Apr 11
one way to conceptualize mormonism historically is that it re-orients the christian system around the family unit, as we might say that at other times (possibly now, i cant say) it was organized around groups of monastics. this allows them to make statements like this one:
most american christians intuit that there is something essential about the family and marriage - but they lack the theological basis to say its essential. in my opinion they really feel that its “the whole point” and talk this way, but its hard to square in their big picture
catholicism has this nicely squared up (imo, which means nothing). its kind of “the whole point” if youre a layperson, but if you’re a monk or priest obviously there are other reasons and factors for your lifestyle differences. they have a different track built right in.
Read 6 tweets
Apr 11
one time, years ago, a guys dog brought fleas into my house.

the experience of having fleas goes like this: you see a tiny dot. you poke it, then its gone: the flea jumped when you touched it.

cycle: the visual stimuli, the suspicion, then the confirmation. over and over.

this happens to you somewhere between one hundred to one thousand times, at random moments, all the time, until you get rid of them (which i did). then, you still think about it after. youre poking random black dots you never would have noticed before, just to check.
interestingly, i never really came back from this. i notice little black dots still, to this day. of course, they’re always just some debris, a speck, something random. but im aware of them. never even really saw them before. i extend my hand, a small poke, just to check.
Read 7 tweets
Apr 9
one evangelist wrote something like, "out of the fullness of the heart, the mouth speaks".

this is a great principle for cultural analysis: whats really in a heart just comes out of the mouth.

one example: no one really thinks the point of public school is to make you smarter. Image
im around a lot of parents, people with kids: that means people discuss homeschooling a lot. this discussion is also found online now, virtually everywhere

when the topic surfaces, if someone objects, sometimes people will show data about homeschooled kids generally doing well
this data seems to exist. some makes it seem like they do better on standardized tests, or at least just as well. they apparently at least arent crashing and burning, i guess.

whether or not this is accurate doesn't matter here. its about people's reaction to this information.
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(