Dan Hopkins Profile picture
May 5, 2021 12 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Here's a new #polisciresearch working paper & a 🧵.

We all know about 1/6 and the threat to American democracy that crystalized that day.

Were there *changes* in American public opinion in the years before that foreshadowed the threat?

Not really.

papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cf…
Using the 2007-2020 ISCAP panel survey, I track a population-based sample of Americans who were 18 by 2008.

So I can isolate specific individuals' attitudes & see if they were shifting in ways that might have predicted the coming threat to democracy.

2/
For example, as of October 2020, there was no evidence that people who were Republicans in 2008 thought American elections were less fair than Democrats.

Trends are similar for two measures of system legitimacy.

(Of course, post-election 2020, it's a different story.)

3/
What about support for Trump specifically, and the intensity of that support?

Yes, there was a sizable fraction of people who were very pro-Trump in October 2020...

4/
But Obama actually enjoyed even higher levels of intense support. So the key question isn't about the distribution of views toward the two presidents--it's about how they did or did not mobilize their intense supporters.

5/
And in open-ended questions, Trump supporters were actually less likely to say that they were voting against someone that Biden's supporters were. The responses didn't show much disaffection, either.

6/
What about racial prejudice? Anti-democratic efforts have been connected with the preservation of White citizens' power and the disenfranchisement of Black citizens, American Indians, Latinos, Asian Americans & other groups for centuries.

7/
However, White respondents' levels of expressed racial prejudice against Black Americans have dropped since 2016 and remain well below their Obama-era levels.

That extends a trend S. Washington and I wrote about here:
academic.oup.com/poq/article/84…

8/
Ideological extremity is another worrisome possibility. Citizens who see the opposing side as extreme may be less likely to accept a result that puts it in power.

But there's no real evidence Biden/Trump were perceived as more ideologically extreme than Obama/Romney in '12.

9/
To be sure, there are very alarming features of contemporary public opinion, including high affective polarization & continued racial prejudice.

Those are the building blocks of anti-democratic efforts.

10/
But my point is this: if you wanted to build an early-warning system, there weren't *changes* in American public opinion between late 2007 and October 2020 that would have tipped you off to the emerging threat.

11/
In part, this is important because it suggests that if we want to understand 1/6 or anti-democratic efforts, we can't just look at general population polls. We've got to focus on the much smaller group of elites who mobilize people & the activists who answer those calls.

/end

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dan Hopkins

Dan Hopkins Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @dhopkins1776

Nov 5, 2023
Some thoughts related to the NYT polls...

1) Yes, it's💯 true that head-to-head polls aren't traditionally very predictive this far out, but there are only elections every 4 years, and much of the existing evidence comes from less polarized times.
2) Certainly, panel data shows that many individual voters can meaningfully report preferences many months out that they continue to hold on Election Day:

fivethirtyeight.com/features/voter…
3) 2024 is unusual, with Trump on the ballot after having served as president.

He's not exactly an unknown quantity or just a vehicle through which to express views about a generic Republican.
Read 8 tweets
May 22, 2023
With Yotam Margalit & @solo_omer, I'm excited to publicly post a new article, forthcoming @BJPolS:

"Personal Economic Shocks and Public Opposition to Unauthorized Immigration"

Brief 🧵 Image
In the paper, we use the ISCAP panel (2007-2020) to examine the impacts of negative economic shocks like unemployment and income drops on Americans' attitudes towards unauthorized immigration.

dataverse.harvard.edu/dataset.xhtml?…
We find that negative personal economic shocks increase support for deporting unauthorized migrants.

But the channel does *not* appear to be economic. Image
Read 7 tweets
Oct 24, 2022
The @nytimes has a piece on changing racial/ethnic demographics & objecting to 2020:
nytimes.com/2022/10/23/us/…

FWIW:

1) @seth_j_hill, G Huber & I find no positive relationship between demographic change, GOP support '12-'16 in this @PNASNews:

pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pn…
2) I know from prior studies that the relationship between changing racial/ethnic demographics & political behavior is hard to isolate--rapidly changing communities differ in many ways.

Ex. fast-changing communities often more homogeneous to start.

So I want to see similar analyses accounting for things like district partisanship, baseline demographics, etc.--and for the selection biases inherent in looking at GOP-controlled districts.

(Assuming there aren't @RyanDEnos-style experiments, exogenous shocks to be had.)
Read 5 tweets
Aug 31, 2022
With thanks to @BJPolS, I have a new article: "Stable Views in a Time of Tumult: Assessing Trends in US Public Opinion, 2007-20."

Here's a 🧵on the paper. It asks: "were there warning signs in public opinion that an anti-democratic attack like 1/6 was brewing?"

Not really.
The paper uses the ISCAP panel to track the same population-based sample of US adults' political attitudes 2007-2020.

BTW, the ISCAP panel is publicly available here: dataverse.harvard.edu/dataset.xhtml?…

(compiled with @Penn colleague Diana Mutz & support of many including @RussellSageFdn)
Tracking the same respondents' attitudes on questions like election fairness and system legitimacy, I find little evidence that those beliefs were eroding or polarizing as of October 2020, before the November election, the Big Lie, and 1/6.
Read 12 tweets
Oct 10, 2021
Wanted to post a few reactions to the (as always) thoughtful @ezraklein piece on @davidshor, messaging, & "popularism."

tl;dr I think this debate puts a lot more on messaging than it can reasonably carry.

1/
The 1st noteworthy thing: the timing & author.

Just as Congressional Dems debate what may be their last, best chance to change policy for years, many on the left are focused on messaging/branding.

Even @ezraklein, who 1st caught my attention via policy coverage/Wonkblog.

2/
The UCLA school of parties says parties -> coalitions of policy demanders. If so, messaging = a means to an end (changing policy).

Why, then, all the heat around messaging? It's almost like messaging itself is the policy demanded by Dem. party.

3/

press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book…
Read 11 tweets
Jun 24, 2021
My latest @FiveThirtyEight piece with @ProfHansNoel is now up: fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-t…

We use @YouGovAmerica surveys of political activists in 2016, 2021 to show how Trump is redefining what it means to be "conservative"--even among political activists.

1/
Specifically, our @YouGovAmerica surveys asked political activists (Democrats and Republicans) to assess pairs of politicians, drawn primarily from the U.S. Senate--and tell us who within a pair is more liberal or conservative.

2/
In 2016, you could see pro-Trump GOP Senators (like then-Sen. Jeff Sessions) perceived as more conservative than their voting records suggest.

OTOH, Republicans with very conservative voting records (Sens. Flake, Sasse) who were anti-Trump were seen as more centrist.

3/
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(