R. Ramakumar Profile picture
May 14, 2021 14 tweets 5 min read Read on X
A thread on the claims made by GoI in its press conference yesterday (see pib.gov.in/PressReleasePa… and for the recording). Let me take, one by one, their so-called repudiation of "reports in a section of the media followed by some uninformed tweets"! 1/n
Their first graph was accompanied by a claim that of all vaccines given in the world, 13% are in India. First, this graph with absolute data shows that India's is NOT the world's "largest" vaccination programme, as claimed. China and US are ahead of us even in absolute terms. 2/n
Secondly, India's share in world population is 18%. But we have given only 13% of all vaccines. Details like this will never be admitted, as it will diminish the spirit of "positivity"! Also, the kind of graph as attached below will never be shown, as it spreads "negativity"! 3/n
Then comes this graph. What is not understood is that nations like USA, once they cross 50% coverage, naturally find it difficult to keep up pace. That India at 10% coverage is moving only as fast as USA at 50% coverage is actually a bad thing. But no, hey, don't be negative! 4/n
This slide. The claim: 35.6 crore doses received till now or in pipeline for GoI. States/private hospitals have ordered 16 crore doses b/w May-July. The problem with this was detailed by me in Scroll: bit.ly/3tMRMx0. See Table 1 in this article. What does Table1 say? 5/n
Table 1 says for May-July, GoI has ordered/grabbed 2.1 million doses/day. Our capacity is only 2.3 million/day (GoI's estimate). What is left for States? 16 crore doses/3 months is 1.7 million doses/day! For that, we should produce 3.8 million/day. But we don't produce that! 6/n
Then comes the king of all slides. This shows India will be flooded with vaccines BETWEEN August & December. We will have 216 crore doses over 5 months, or 1.4 crore doses/day! We now produce only 2.3 million/day. That is, there will be a 6-fold rise of availability. Wow! 7/n
GoI claims SII will make 95 crore doses in 5 months. That is, 6.4 million doses/day! This is a ~3-fold rise from ~2.2 million doses/day now. SII is already struggling to meet the promise of 3.3 million/day by July. They will make 6.4 million/day by December? Give us a break! 8/n
Take Covaxin. Capacity will be 3.7 million doses/day? Capacity of BB now is not >0.5 million doses/day. BB says it will be 1.9 million doses/day by Jan 2022. Haffkine won't start production before 8-12 months. So won't the other two PSUs. Where will the rest come from? 9/n
The affidavit of GoI to SCI says Covaxin capacity will rise from 0.3 million doses/day to 3.3 million "in the next 8-10 months". So, if at all possible, we may achieve the target of 3.3 million doses/day (3.7 million doses/day in GoI's slide) IN Dec21-Jan22, NOT BEFORE THAT! 10/n
Note also that GoI has set aside Rs 200 crore as grant-in-aid to the three PSUs to produce Covaxin. However, the GoI's affidavit noted that "grant-in-aid has been recommended; however, disbursements have yet to be made"! So no payments, yet. Is this spending on war-footing? 11/n
The same holds for the other vaccines too. Yes, some doses may trickle in by December, but the cited numbers here are absolutely unrealistic & wrong. To spread positivity doesn't mean to spread lies. Speak truth. People will be happy and positive if you just state the truth. 12/n
In sum, what's the vaccine story now? Doses administered/day in May is as poor as in April. Why don't we have one good explanation on why doses/day fell from 4.8 million doses/day to 2.3 million doses/day? Bombastic claims can give way to that one good and truthful reason. n/n
@threadreaderapp please unroll

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with R. Ramakumar

R. Ramakumar Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ramakumarr

Apr 24
1/ A brief thread on inheritance taxes:

Sometime in August 2014, a news item caught my attention. It said that Lakshmi Mittal, the steel tycoon, is planning to buy Blencathra, a 2850 feet-high peak, in Cumbria, UK. Curious about why the guy would buy a mountain, I dug in.
2/ Blencathra peak was owned by the 7th Earl of Lonsdale. Lord Lonsdale died in 2006. He left behind his estate for his eldest son, Hugh Lowther, but he had to pay £9 million as inheritance tax to get it in his name. UK had a 40% inheritance tax (above a threshold of £325,000).
3/ The proceeds from the sale of Blencathra -- the offer price was £1.75 million -- would contribute to a fund to pay the inheritance tax. Lowther had already sold a Turner painting to the Tate Gallery for £2 million and a farm for £1.6 million to contribute to this fund.
Read 18 tweets
Feb 29
1/ From today's The Hindu.

Let me put out a short thread on how this piece got written, and why I think it is important in the ongoing debate on Union-State economic relations. This was a topic I started looking at, first for some fun but later with some academic amusement. Image
2/ We knew that the Union government was trying to keep an increasing share of its gross tax revenues outside the net proceeds (or the divisible pool) in order to not share them with the States as per Finance Commission recommendations.
3/ But very few of the government numbers on cesses and surcharges were matching. I started adding up each cess and surcharge by myself from the annual receipts budgets. But there was no information anywhere on which item is a cess and which item is a surcharge.
Read 14 tweets
Mar 21, 2023
1/ How to shoot yourself in the foot...

The former CEA has posted some tweets responding to my tweets on investment rates in India estimated at current and constant prices. Someone might want to tell him that his tweets actually strengthen my case.

2/ He begins by repeating that Prof Basu is "incorrect" and retweets a post by SK Ghosh to bolster his case that investment rates at current prices must NOT be used. But then Ghosh, in that tweet, is actually saying that using data at current prices IS "the conventional wisdom".
3/ Ghosh's table has investment rates at current prices and NOT constant prices! I don't understand why the former CEA retweets a post that he claims "clarifies", but actually rejects his position. I am lost!

Both Ghosh and the former CEA are together in one point, though.
Read 20 tweets
Mar 20, 2023
1/ The former CEA is acting smart by pointing to India's investment rate under constant prices rather than investment rate under current prices, which Prof Basu (@kaushikcbasu) is referring to. And he then calls it "clearly incorrect" and all. Is he right? No.
2/ Prof Basu is correct in saying that the gross fixed capital formation (GFCF) as a share of the GDP fell from 34.3% in 2011-12 to 29.2% in 2022-23 (SAE). These rates are at current prices. But I wish Prof Basu had used numbers for gross capital formation (GCF) instead of GFCF.
3/ If he had done so, he would have seen that the GCF to GDP ratio fell from 39% in 2011-12 to 30.4% in 2019-20, 27.9% in 2020-21 and 31.4% in 2021-22. This is a faster fall. It is this fall in investment rate that explains India's slower economic growth in the past decade.
Read 8 tweets
Sep 4, 2022
1/ <Thread> A major news today was the decision of @shailajateacher, former Minister for Health in Kerala, politely declining the offer of the Ramon Magsaysay award for 2022. A newspaper, however, editorialised the news and called it a "second historic blunder".
2/ Such phrasing was not just sheer stupidity but also a grand display of the journalist's ignorance of what Left politics means. It was certainly a news worthy of reporting, but to editorialise it such smacked of intentions that could hardly be noble.

Who was Ramon Magsaysay?
3/ We must start with Edward Lansdale. Lansdale was the CIA point-man in-charge of Philippines in the 1950s, when a communist tide was rising across the East. A high point in his career was Ramon Magsaysay's ascent to power as Defense Secretary in 1950 and President in 1954.
Read 15 tweets
Mar 27, 2022
1/ <THREAD> How do we explain and understand the current economic crisis in Sri Lanka? In this thread, I try to follow some of the major events in the nation's economy over the last few years and situate the present crisis in a context.
2/ To begin with, Sri Lanka's economic growth rate was on a decline from around 2012 itself. Its GDP growth rate fell rather steadily after 2012. The post-war growth acceleration petered out soon, and the current account deficit widened in the absence of export growth.
3/ The economy was stuck with the colonial-era exports of tea and rubber, and garments. The exports of these commodities suffered as global commodity prices fell over the past decade. But two recent events in 2019 ended up imparting a major shock to the Sri Lankan economy.
Read 24 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(