Hey.

Pssst.

Hey, you guys.

HEY.

YOU GUYS!

1/
IT HAPPENED AGAIN AGAIN!

#TableTopGames

The Peninsula O’ Games has become a small Continent O’ Games!

Okay, now, I have played NONE of these games yet, so if you worked on them, or published them, or have PLAYED them, please jump into the conversation, okay? Would love to hear from you!

That;s the funnest part of these threads!

Also, who is singing?

3/
So, I am going into this even LESS informed than usual, but holy crap, what amazing looking games!

As always, i was given these games. Opinions are my own, I am not paid for any of this. I JUST LIKE TO BOOST GOOD STUFF! :)

Let’s dig in!

4/
First, this is the cooperative version of a game I adore THE FOX IN THE FOREST. This version is called DUET. The original is a game we have been playing non-stop, a trick-taking card game PERFECT for a quick two-player game. Can’t recommend it enough.

From @PlayRenegade!

5/
Next, I bought this one, was intrigued by the box! It’s SHADOWS OF BRIMSTONE, a big box game, looks like a weird Western, this game is practically a cult, it;s fans are so devoted. I love the look, can’t wait to play soon! From @FFPGames!

Look at the box!

6/
The box weighs a ton...look at the content list! Miniatures, board pieces, card decks, a cd, it’s massive...and this is just one box in the series (all playable individually).

I love that there are games like this, that can take over your entire table. Can’t wait to play!

7/
These next are from the lovely people at @IBCGames, or Indieboardsandcards.com!

Firs,t they sent this game Coup, and Coup: Reformation. This game has a LOT of fans among you...it’s apparently a game with a lot of bluffing and lying, set in an Italian City-state.
Wow!
8/
Next is THE RESISTANCE, which sounds tremendous. It requires 5-10 players, so best with a group. But you are resistance fighters, trying to uncover spies. Great design, fantastic premise. Anyone here played this?

9/
Here are the game box and expansions...someone said it was a bit of a dystopian WEREWOLF-style game and man, I would love to try this one.

10/
Ack, hubby made breakfast and it's WAFFLES!

THREAD INTERRUPTUS! :)

Back in just a bit with more games from @IBCGames and @StrongholdGames!

11/ INTERUPPTED!
Okay, I am back! Two important facts;

1) Waffles are delicious and
2) If RESISTANCE sounds cool to you, @EvilHatOfficial has a licensed RPG version of hit, check it out!

12/
Next is AEON’S END: LEGACY, which @IBCGames as is a campaign, a standalone, AND a legacy game for fans of this incredibly popular deck building game property. Seems like a mix of magic and sf, looks freaking incredible.

13/
Apparently your character grows and gets tougher with each new session, and you end up with a unique character and new, exclusive cards you can use for future campaigns.

I love this idea. Aeon’s End has a TON of expansion options. Cool!

14/
And last from @IBCGames is this absolute beauty, PATH OF LIGHT AND SHADOW. Just the art on the box alone makes you want to play it! It’s a showpiece, an empire building/management game with very very high ratings everywhere. Wow!

15/
Next is FETCH QUEST, from @TheOnyxPath Publishing...highly rated, people are telling me it’s a great quick card game, cooperative, where you send one of six adventurous dogs on a dangerous quest.

Sounds adorable! Good for families, too!

16/
Just a break to say what I always say...I am doing this because I found this wonderful hobby during quarantine, and it has helped a lot. It’s been good for our mood, socialization, creativity and more.

I am hoping one or several of these will appeal to you the same way. :)

17/
The publishers and designers all read these #TableTopGails threads, so if you have questions, suggestions, or praise for them, feel free to post. Please support your local games store if you can!

Thanks!

18/
Next we have some lovely quick games from @StrongholdGames!

First is DIVVY DICE, which can be played solo (we get a lot of requests for that!) or two player...everyone plays simultaneously. You use die rolls to fill out cards. We love portable games like this!

19/
This one is called BRIXXS and from looking at the box and some videos, it plays almost like a table top TETRIS, where dice change how the shapes fall, all for points.

This strikes me as a brilliant idea for a quick, fun game!

Last two games!

This one, I didn't really notice when the box came, now I WANT TO PLAY IT.

In NOT ALONE, by @StrongholdGames, a ship crashes on an alien planet. One player plays a survivor, the other an alient creature HUNTING them! hubba hubba!

Gorgeous art, too!

21/
Okay, one quick addition, then I want to cover the last game with a bit of a special message. :)

The note is, I didn't notice FETCH QUEST was part of the wonderful PUGMIRE and MONARCHIES of MAU game worlds, which are amazing. Check it out at realmsofpugmire.com!

22/
Okay, a little message.

I've been to a ton of cons...and I love cosplayers. But I love ALL cosplayers. I love the incredible anime-inspired cosplayers in Singapore with the ridiculously expensive costumes AND I like the She-hulk who just painted her face green. :)

23/
It's easy when you read these threads or go to a game story to really get blown away by the super expensive and high production value games. I do, too, sometimes.

But what I like about gaming is, it can be so much broader. There are ideas out there that don't NEED to be $$$.
24/
The point is, I keep talking about a lot of small box games that deliver big box amounts of game play. I love that. And I am learning to pay more attention to smaller projects and indie games and rpgs...

Like the one I am finishing with!

25/
This is a small, independent storytelling game. I got it in-between huge legacy boxes and mammoth miniature games. So I didn't notice it at first.

Now I can't stop reading it. It's the ENNIE-nominated A COOL AND LONEY COURAGE by @NAlexWhite.

And it is a gut-punch.
26/
It’s a relatively small softcover book, but beautifully designed and written, with color throughout.

It’s the story of the women recruited by the Special Operations Executive during WWII for combat operations.

Dangerous as hell.

27/
Almost a third of these women who worked in occupied France were captured and killed.

This book involves you in telling stories in this time, with these women. It’s extraordinary, I haven’t seen anything quite like it. With just a deck of cards, you live the stories.

28/
I've studied this period a lot, and even some about this operation, and there's a LOT I didn't know.

All the history you need, the book provides. It's emotional just to read, and a powerful tribute to these women.

29/
A COOL AND LONELY COURAGE is available here: drivethrurpg.com/product/283986…

I would say, it's not for every group. But if you want a powerful experience, HIGHEST recommendation!

Thank you for bringing us this, @NAlexWhite!

30/
Sometimes the best stuff is in the smallest box! :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for reading and thank you to all the companies sending heaps O' gaming goodness!

31/
That's it, everyone. If any of these sound cool to you, PICK ONE AND TRY IT OUT!

It's good for you! :)

Love to all and have a great day!

DONE!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Gail Simone 💙💛

Gail Simone 💙💛 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GailSimone

Jul 9
All right, so this will take a bit, but this is a thread I have wanted to do for a while.

This is it, the X-MEN: FROM THE ASHES mega-thread!

Interested in the upcoming X-books but a little overwhelmed by the new characters, creative teams, and titles?

Well, I had an idea!

1/
In this thread, I am going to give an unapologetic personal opinion about each of the upcoming titles, starting with tomorrow's X-MEN #1.

I admit up front I am biased, okay? These are MY opinions, I have not consulted with the creative or editorial teams.

2/
I have read all the issues of all these books so far. They are all creative teams I like. They are all pushing for the best books they can. And I am on a bit of an X-Men high and don't deny my OBVIOUS enthusiasm.

So bear that in mind. Get it? "Bear!"

3/
Read 30 tweets
Jun 30
I have a @jimlee story. Legendary comics writer John Ostrander needed eye surgery. A couple others and myself went all around SDCC to ask artists for an art donation to raise the funds to literally save not just his eyesight, but his eyes.

1/
It was for John Ostrander. And so I asked legendary artists that normally I would be intimidated just to talk to. We got pieces from Neil Adams, Matt Groening, and lots more.

Again, because it was for John, I worked myself up to ask the giants.

Everyone was lovely.

2/
But it was still intimidating. Asking legends whom I know get asked for stuff ALL THE TIME.

At the time, just as now, Jim was the biggest artist in comics. Not to mention…

…he was also my boss.

3/
Read 18 tweets
Jun 8
DR. PHIL: Now, I’m just an impartial observer, okay?

PENNYWISE: Heh heh heh we all float slobber drool heh

DR.PHIL: You’re an entertainer, You do great work with kids.

PENNYWISE: come down into the sewers Georgie heh heh hee

DR. PHIL: You have a great smile, you know that?
DR. PHIL: I want to thank you for agreeing to an interview, but I warn you, I won’t be pulling ANY punches.

ZOMBIE: …

DR. PHIL: Zombie, why don’t people like you?

ZOMBIE: BRAINS

DR. PHIL: You have a thick skin.

ZOMBIE: SKIN YUM YUMMERS

DR. PHIL: Well, I’M sold.
DR. PHIL: Dr. Lecter, I’m just gonna say it. I think you got railroaded by a ‘woke’ court system and the lamestream media who focused on the word ‘cannibal,’ and—

LECTER: Excuse me.

DR. PHIL: Pardon?

LECTER: My agent set this up. You disgust me. (Leaves)

DR. PHIL: Golly!
Read 6 tweets
May 12
I have a Roger Corman story. It’s fun, but weird, as I am gathering most Roger Corman stories tend to be.

I was a fan of his movies and his legend and legacy.

At the very beginning of my comics career, his office contacted me.

1/
I was very new to writing professionally. I didn’t become a writer to make films, comics were not a stepping stone. And I had mostly been drafted, so my sense of value in myself as a writer was a bit shaky and tinged with a lot of, ‘how did I get here? What’s happening?’

2/
The idea that a legendary movie guy would contact me for anything made no sense. I still had my hair salon. I hadn’t even written very many comics, and I was pretty sure it was all going to go away very quickly.

Then I get this call.

3/
Read 17 tweets
Apr 30
I remind everyone of this each year, apologies for repeating myself.

This Saturday, May 4th, is @Freecomicbook Day! Please go and enjoy and have a wonderful time. Some great shops have sales, cosplay, events, guests, even treats planned for you, PLUS FREE COMICS!

1/
Howerer, this is just a gentle reminder that, unlike what many think, the stores DO have to pay for the comics they give away for free. They pay for them in bundles. This year there are dozens of individual comics being given away...imagine how much that might cost!

2/
But that's not all. They also pay (often outrageous) shipping on all those books.

Stores often pay for extra employees, decorations, advertising, cosplayers, guests, and lots more. It is EXPENSIVE.

3/
Read 8 tweets
Apr 22
Here is my central core thought while writing Deadpool.

It is no secret that I don't like endlessly 'zany' Deadpool. He was described as 'serial killer Daffy Duck' to me early on, that's the version I don't care for.

1/
I also don't care for endlessly bleak, 'nothing matters,' kill everyone Deadpool.

I think that could be a thousand other characters, and it's far from the magic potion that makes Deadpool fun.

2/
So the Deadpool is a subverted version of both of those.

He is a goddamn loudmouth, whose humor comes from tragedy.

But he's so endlessly high energy that it saves him from being insufferable and dreary.

And ALSO so internally sad and broken that he's not a constant punchline.
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(