Stephen Barlow Profile picture
May 22, 2021 11 tweets 11 min read Read on X
Let us Swiftly address the biodiversity crisis and to reverse the declines in biodiversity. We need to start now, in a big way. No more tokenism. #BiodiversityDay @IPBES @GretaThunberg @HollyWildChild @GreeneIndy @GreenFGeorge @BBCSpringwatch @ChrisGPackham @MeganMcCubbin

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Stephen Barlow

Stephen Barlow Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @SteB777

Jul 21
The @guardian should be thoroughly ashamed for publishing this steaming pile of sophistry. It's why I regard it as having a troublesome position. Yes, it has better climate crisis coverage, but that is because the rest are dire, it's just less dire.

1/🧵theguardian.com/commentisfree/…
The premise of the argument is that whilst the sentences given to @RogerHallamCS21 et al, are harsh, that @JustStop_Oil are using the wrong tactics, because they are inconveniencing ordinary road users. This is such an ignorant argument, from a position of privilege.
2/
Firstly, the elephant in the room, and this is why this argument, is sophistry, about traffic delays, people missing appointments, is it tacitly implies, that without @JustStop_Oil protests, the traffic would flow freely.
3/
Read 20 tweets
Jul 19
I see there are a lot of gullible Tory Press reading muppets, trotting out the lie that people died because of @JustStop_Oil protests, ambulance delays etc.

Are they not aware of how many people died, because of ambulance delays in general.

1/3theguardian.com/society/2023/m…
I mean, come on, it is not @JustStop_Oil protests that delayed ambulances for up to 15 hours. However, it is the policy promoted by the same said Tory Press and their proprietors that caused these deaths. Where are their trials and prosecutions?
2/3
independent.co.uk/news/uk/nhs-en…
Anyone opposed to taxing the very rich, to pay for these public services, is culpable for massively more deaths, due to ambulance delays, than @JustStop_Oil. The wealth of the very rich is massively increasing. They can afford to pay far more tax.
3/4
Read 5 tweets
Jul 14
In my opinion, the greatest obstacle to addressing the climate and ecological crisis, is what I call the "walk around problem" of perception and thinking.

This is where, in their thinking, people can just walk around inconvenient reality, as if it isn't there.
1/🧵
Therefore, although the climate and ecological crisis, is demonstrable, and supported by the science, it is possible for even intelligent, and otherwise sensible people, to just walk around the inconvenient truth, and to not acknowledge the situation.
2/
The huge problem, is the ease and simplicity from which it is possible, to totally ignore, and not even think about inconvenient realities, even for one second.

This is quite easy to observe, with the climate crisis, and much other suffering in the world.
3/
Read 26 tweets
Jul 12
I'd like to clarify my position on capitalism, as I am often mistakenly criticized for not being critical of it, or blaming it for driving the climate and ecological crisis.

Anyone reading my commenting, should be aware this is implicit in my critique.
1/🧵
My main caution about criticizing "capitalism" per se, is not that I am an advocate or apologist for capitalism, but that in reality, there is no clear or generally understood definition as to what capitalism actually is. There is no defining ideology of it.
2/
Capitalism, is essentially the investment of excess wealth for big returns on your investment. Whilst this can be traced back to ancient times, it really came to the fore, during the first voyages of colonization by the European powers.
3/
Read 25 tweets
Jul 12
Let me make a very simple observation on the UK Government's new prison overcrowding strategy.

STOP LOCKING UP PEACEFUL CLIMATE ACTIVISTS, AND REPEAL THE STUPID OPPRESSIVE, NEW LAWS AND COURT STRATEGIES, SENDING THEM TO PRISON!

1/3theguardian.com/politics/live/…
This is crazy. There's a problem with prison overcrowding, and the government decided to criminalize peaceful protest, demanding, sincere peaceful people, trying to save humanity from itself, be locked up and given substantial prison sentences.

2/3theguardian.com/law/article/20…
Oppressive laws were essentially written by a right wing think tank, and there's some sort of coordinated international attempt to suppress and criminalize, peaceful climate protest, and other humanitarian protest.

Does no one see the contradiction?

3/3opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-…
Read 4 tweets
Jul 12
No government in the world has got a strategy to deal with the climate and other ecological impacts - we are going to start experiencing in the coming years - NOT in the distant future.

None of them seem to understand how serious a threat this is.
1/3
THE big mistake, is not understanding that this is going to get much worse, and keep getting worse, relatively soon.

The future isn't going to be like it is now, just a bit warmer, the future will be radically altered. It will have massive impacts on our societies.
2/3
It's not so much the direct impacts of extreme heat and extreme weather.

It is the secondary impacts, like potential food shortages, and major perception change and panic, because we were unprepared for what is coming, which are the danger to our system.
3/3
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(