Cholera in Silk Mill Row, Hackney
Information taken from Cholera and public health in 19th century Hackney, Dick Hunter, Hackney History 13, pp 24-33
During the first half of the C19 it became clear that the health of Londoners was under serious threat. While it was not yet
understood that cholera was spread by dirty water, there was increasing alarm at the four cholera epidemics that took so many lives. The Thames received most of the capital’s sewage and also provided much of its water supply. The stink of the river alone was sufficient to provoke
concern. The Metropolitan Board of Works was founded in 1855 to improve London’s sewerage, drainage, paving, cleaning and lighting.
London districts had to appoint Medical Officers of Health and the seven wards of Hackney and the five wards of Stoke Newington worked together
to form the Hackney District Board. Although less than ten cholera deaths were recorded in Hackney in1831-2, around 200 died in each of the later epidemics of 1848-9,1853-4 and 1865-6. Diarrhoea was also a killer. The District Board received reports of deaths linked to poor
drainage in areas such as the back of Homerton High Street and Upper Clapton. Stoke Newington churchwardens lobbied the Board to ask for more medical support to the poor and a number of high risk areas were identified.
One of these was Silk Mill Row, 14 dwellings near Cassland
Road and Well Street that were home to 85 people. In 1848 it was reported that cesspools, for the collection of sewage, had been dug within yards of a well supplying drinking water. This had soon become thick with fecal matter. The landlord pumped off the worst of this offensive
waste and declared the water fit for his tenants. 59 people suffered from diarrhoea but the medical officer, Dr Tripe, refused to acknowledge polluted water as the cause.
The 1856-6 cholera epidemic brought new urgency to the District Board’s response. 245 cesspools were
connected to the sewers and 383 drains were repaired. Local government and voluntary bodies were more active in offering relief to the sick. Constant free water was provided from standpipes in several areas including Silk Mill Row but the East London Water Company were found to
be providing water contaminated by sewage. While there was a growing understanding that cholera was a water borne disease, Dr Tripe continued to assert the cause was poor ventilation. Fortunately, his views did not survive the public health reform that finally put an end to
London’s cholera epidemics.1848 By Wendy Forrest layers of London @threadreaderapp unroll

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
 

Keep Current with Alan Russell

Alan Russell Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

  2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @soxgnasher

24 May
Match girls come out very strong on a Saturday night, when any number of them may be found at the Paragon Music Hall, in the Mile End Road; the Foresters’ Music Hall, in Cambridge Road; and the Sebright, at Hackney; The Eagle, in the City Road, used to be a favourite resort of
these girls, and in bygone summers dancing on the crystal platform was their nightly amusement. They continue to be very fond of dancing, but they are even more attached to singing. They seem to know by heart the words of all the popular music hall songs of the day, and their
homeward journey on Bank holidays from Hampstead Heath and Ching­ford, though musical, is decidedly noisy. The police are as a rule extremely good to the match girls, and a constable will rarely interfere with them unless positively compelled to do so. It must be admitted,
Read 5 tweets
21 May
River Lea history - In the Roman era, Old Ford, as the name suggests, was the ancient, most downstream, crossing point of the River Lea. This was part of a pre-Roman route that followed the modern Oxford Street, Old Street, through Bethnal Green to Old Ford and thence across a
causeway through the marshes, known as Wanstead Slip (now in Leyton). The route then continued through Essex to Colchester. At this time, the Lea was a wide, fast flowing river, and the tidal estuary stretched as far as Hackney Wick. Evidence of a late Roman settlement at
Old Ford, dating from the 4th and 5th centuries, has been found. In 894, a force of Danes sailed up the river to Hertford, and in about 895 they built a fortified camp, in the higher reaches of the Lea, about 20 miles north of London. King Alfred the Great saw an opportunity to
Read 12 tweets
29 Apr
BUCCLEUCH TERRACE. .Upper Clapton. c1900 Georgian terrace demolished 1950s
Buccleuch Terrace Gardens
Read 4 tweets
29 Apr
1880 Mare Street, looking north from near Hackney Tower; showing Manor Rooms. Mare Street was a distinct settlement in 1593. By that date it may have included the Flying Horse Inn, said to have been a staging post, the Nag's Head and the Horse and Groom, since all three were
timber-built. In 1695 Mare Street had 23 residents. By 1720, Mare Street was the most populous district of the parish, with 111 ratepayers, and contained 6 of the 36 select vestrymen in 1729. Tramways were built in 1873. After the First World War the area became more industrial.
During the Second World War, Mare Street suffered bomb damage, including Georgian Houses at the Triangle. By 1993 Mare Street had become a nondescript mixture of low-rise factories, shops and institutional buildings, the tallest being Pitcairn House Looking north from No 381,
Read 5 tweets
29 Apr
Hackneys best known gardens, behind the Mermaid Inn on the west side of Church Street, corner of Brett & Kenmure included upper and lower bowling greens, presumably where Dudley Ryder in 1716 was amused by the earnestness of the players, and a trap ball ground in 1810. They
extended in 1766 beyond Hackney brook to a lime walk and in 1831 to a larger kitchen garden one green was used for archery in 1842. They witnessed successful balloon trips, notably by James Sadler in 1811, when the number of sightseers 'exceeded calculation', and by Mrs. Graham
and two other women in 1836. An ascent was advertised in conjunction with a fireworks display in 1822. The Mermaid made way c. 1840 for J. R. Daniel-Tyssen's Manor House, which by the 1890s had been divided into shops, nos. 378 and 378A Mare Street. The gardens, 'much curtailed',
Read 9 tweets
29 Apr
Hackney featured highly in Renton Nicholson’s Cockney Adventures and Tales of London Life. “In the early-to-mid-19th century, water colourists were busy depicting a world that was disappearing or which had recently disappeared. At much the same time, positioned between the
pastoral and the urban, is Renton Nicholson's Cockney Adventures and Tales of London Life (from 1837), first issued in serial form, much at the same time a Dickens' Sketches by Boz (which itself describes a visit to the Eagle tavern). “For the most part the Adventures relate,
umour, the jolly japes perpetrated by young working men and their consorts on their day off from the City. Trips into the near countryside often involve an excess of strong drink, and sometimes a misadventure with a cowpat. “In The Beau, the Kiddy and their Ladies, a journeyman
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!


This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!

:(