Dr Ella Hawkins Profile picture
May 29, 2021 10 tweets 5 min read Read on X
I am reliably informed that today is #NationalBiscuitDay.

Here is a 🧵 of all the biscuits I've made so far in 2021.

First up, my William Morris set. Inspired by an old @V_and_A calendar, everything hand-piped in royal icing. Flavour: cardamom, orange & vanilla.
This one was based on The Phoenix Portrait of Elizabeth I.

Royal icing is v. fabulous for embroidery effects. I'm also obsessed with gold details on biscuits. All details piped on and painted with edible metallic/pearlescent powders. (2/?)
The Phoenix Cookie was the centrepiece of an Elizabethan-inspired set, inspired by extant garments and textiles at the @V_and_A & The School of Historical Dress. (3/?)
Next, things got very Outlander (❤️). This set was an attempt to biscuitize some of @OutlanderCostum's sensational eighteenth-century-inspired costume designs for the show.

Hand-painted, piped & airbrushed royal icing details here w/ more of my favourite metallic details. (4/?)
These had a gorgeous story behind them.

I was asked by a friend to biscuify a patchwork quilt that had been made for her by her mum. Each patch was cut from a dress my friend had worn as a child. Each biscuit recreated a patch on the quilt. (5/?)
All change for the next set. Goodbye delicate florals, hello Anglo-Saxon metalwork.

Inspired by the Staffordshire Hoard. The garnets are made out of piping gel, which is a mixture of golden syrup & a setting agent. @samuel_a_jones ate them all. Biscuit flavour: chocolate. (6/?)
The interval was brief. Back to the dainty florals for this Morris-inspired set to celebrate the arrival of my friend's baby. Bunnies! Teddies! A subtle spray of pearlescent lustre with the airbrush to make the pastel shades shimmer 🌟. (7/?)
I had to take a break from biscuiting to get on with writing. But! After rewatching 'Emma' (2020) *again*, I couldn't resist spending a weekend making a set inspired by the film's glorious, GLORIOUS costumes. (8/?)
No biscuit thread would be complete without this set. It's niche. It's bizarre. It's a Nicolas Cage biscuit filmography. (9/?)
Herein ends my #NationalBiscuitDay thread. I wish you all a wonderful day of biscuits.

For more content on similar themes, here is my Facebook page dedicated to edible exploits: facebook.com/EllaMakesCakes

I'm also on Instagram: instagram.com/ellamchawk/

🍪

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr Ella Hawkins

Dr Ella Hawkins Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @EllaMcHawk

Jul 1, 2023
It’s the @BritishLibrary’s 50th birthday!

This biscuit (cookie) set is inspired by the British Library’s wonderful collections. Each biscuit depicts an item from one of their six core collection areas: stamps, newspapers, manuscripts, printed materials, maps, and sounds. 🍪 A set of 7 biscuits arranged in a square. In the top left is a biscuit version of the 1918 ‘inverted Jenny’ stamp. The royal icing has a scalloped edge, and the words ‘U.S. POSTAGE … 24 CENTS’ frame a navy-blue, upside-down image of a biplane. The top-right biscuit reads ‘The Lady’s Newspaper’ in ornate black lettering above a cameo of Queen Victoria. Below that is a biscuit depicting the title page of ‘The Tempest’ from Shakespeare’s First Folio. The bottom-right biscuit is inspired by a wax cylinder label: it reads ‘Genuine Edison Bell Gold Moulded Record’ in a vintage typeface. To the le...
Biscuits flavoured with Earl Grey and Yorkshire Lavender (because research is fuelled by tea). All designs painted by hand using food colouring gels, edible lustres, and vodka.

Find out more about the history of the collection items featured in this set: blogs.bl.uk/living-knowled…
Here are side-by-side images of the biscuits and the collection items that inspired them.

First up is the ‘inverted Jenny’ stamp, which was the result of a printing error in 1918. It’s so iconic that it’s even been featured in The Simpsons.
A biscuit version of the 1918 ‘inverted Jenny’ stamp. The royal icing has a scalloped edge, and the words ‘U.S. POSTAGE … 24 CENTS’ frame a navy-blue, upside-down image of a biplane. The design is formed from tiny horizontal lines in bright red and blue to create the stamp’s printed effect.
A photograph of the British Library’s 1918 ‘inverted Jenny’ stamp. The words ‘U.S. POSTAGE … 24 CENTS’ frame a navy-blue, upside-down image of a biplane.
Read 9 tweets
Jul 16, 2022
I'm an exhibit! 🍪

From now until Monday, I'll be at @CrawfordArtGall making a biscuit set inspired by their new exhibition, 'Meat & Potatoes'.

Stay tuned for photos, and come and say hello if you're in Cork! Image
I had a wonderful time working at @CrawfordArtGall this weekend!

Here are some of the works in their 'Meat & Potatoes' exhibition, biscuified...

Left: 'Eggs in a Basket' (c.1959), by Anne Yeats
Right: 'The Breadline 1916' (c.1950), by Muriel Brandt

(2/6)
A hand holds up a rectangular biscuit that is painted to look like the painting in the background of the photo. Both the biscuit and the framed painting feature a stylised bowl of eggs. The bowl is teal-blue with a patchy red outline. The eggs are white. Bold blue-and-white swirls in the bottom half of the biscuit looks like woodgrain. The upper half of the biscuit and the framed painting have a patchy blue and red texture.
In the foreground is a biscuit painted with a detailed crowd scene. There is a child wrapped in a green blanket, holding a baby. A group of nuns in blue gowns and white aprons surround a large basket of bread. Women wearing hats and coats queue into the distance. Buildings are visible behind them.  In the background of the photograph is the framed painting on which the biscuit is based. It is blurred slightly, with the biscuit in focus.
Left: 'Soup Boy' (1995), by Alfred Berdiner
Right: 'The Goose Girl' (1888), Edith Anna Œnone Somerville

(3/6)
A colourful sketch of a person carrying a large bowl on a tray. The person pictured on this biscuit (and in the painting behind) wears a bright red hat, a bright blue jacket, and voluminous black trousers. The strokes in the painting are quick and rough to create a sketched effect.
A portrait of a young girl holding a goose. The brushstrokes on the biscuit and in the painting behind it are visibly broad, and the girl's loose green dress has strokes of brown, blue, and yellow within it. Her face expression is troubled - she frowns slightly with wide eyes as she clutches the goose. The goose is nestled into her arms.
Read 6 tweets
Jun 16, 2022
Today’s the day! My book, Shakespeare in Elizabethan Costume, is officially published!

Here are some of the costumes, portraits & places featured in the book, presented to you in biscuit (cookie) form. 🍪

Read on for a whistle-stop, biscuit-tastic tour of each chapter. 🧵 (1/8) 24 intricately decorated biscuits (cookies) arranged into a
Hand-woven velvet. Gold metal lace. Knitted hose.

Chapter 1 is about ‘original practices’ costuming at @The_Globe.

Why did actors wear ‘authentic’ Elizabethan underwear in 1997, and why bother reviving historical tailoring techniques?

Big questions; intriguing answers. (2/8) Four biscuits grouped together into a square. The biscuit on
*Should* Shakespeare be staged in Elizabethan dress? Some people think so.

Chapter 2 considers why these colours, textures & silhouettes are so appealing to modern audiences.

Delicious costumes from @TheRSC, @NationalTheatre & @The_Globe take centre-stage. (3/8) The five biscuits in this mini set feature bold colours and
Read 8 tweets
May 29, 2022
Today is National Biscuit Day!

To celebrate, here is a brief and partial history of design in England – in biscuit form. 🍪

We begin in Londinium around the turn of the 3rd century AD. These tasty tesserae recreate a mosaic that may have decorated a fancy Roman ‘motel’. (1/12) A square biscuit decorated with tiny squares of royal icing,
We now travel north and fast-forward 4 centuries to 650-675 AD.

This biscuit set is inspired by gold & garnet fittings in the Staffordshire Hoard. The original items may have decorated saddles, harnesses, or bibles. These chocolate replicas go very well with a cup of tea. (2/12) Four rectangular biscuits decorated to look like gold and ga
Welcome to medieval England. May I offer you a biscuit flavoured with honey, ginger & cloves?

Tiles like these ones originally decorated churches, priories, and palaces across the country. The examples biscuified here date from between c.1151 and 1540. (3/12) A collection of biscuits painted in shades of brown, yellow,
Read 12 tweets
Dec 29, 2021
2021: a biscuit (cookie) retrospective. 🍪

Thys 🧵 beginneth wyth these illuminated manuscript morsels. All painted by hand and flavoured with orange, cardamom & vanilla. (1/?) 9 square biscuits decorated with illustrations from medieval
Next up are these Ancient Greek biscuit sherds, inspired by items in the collections of @AshmoleanMuseum.

I painted the designs onto royal icing by hand, then went wild with the Biscuit Ageing Process™ (lots of scratches, faux chips/cracks, and edible dirt). (2/?) A collection of 3D biscuits/cookies made to look like Ancien
This set was a bit more modern and a lot more botanical. It was inspired by the ‘new intoxicants’ that reached Europe between the 17th and 19th centuries (coffee, tea, cacao, sugar, cannabis, opium, tobacco). Made for @intoxspaces & based on images from @ExploreWellcome. (3/?) 8 cream rectangular biscuits with botanical drawings painted
Read 13 tweets
Nov 29, 2021
Not a collection of mudlarking finds from the foreshore of the Thames. Biscuits. 🍪
Biscuit flavour: sea salt & brown sugar. Everything made by hand using painting, piping, glazing, and sgraffito techniques. The pins & beads are royal icing.

Inspired by the wonderful finds of Tom Chivers (@thisisyogic, thisisyogic.com), @flo_finds, and Jason Sandy.
Specific object info as follows (clockwise):
- Part of a Victorian ruby lustreware tile
- A Roman coin
- Victorian stoneware
- c.17th century German salt glaze Westerwald pottery
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(