Margot Cleveland Profile picture
May 30, 2021 27 tweets 9 min read Read on X
THREAD-HUGELY IMPORTANT: While without seeing the transcript, I can only be 99% sure, but I am 99% sure this is 100% FALSE. SO, journalists, and "jouralists" before retweeting or writing an article parroting this claim, READ. THIS. THREAD.
2/ Here's the lede. BUT what exactly did the attoney say? First, the reporters paraphrase and then the actual words:
3/ What the attorney said IS NOT--REPEAT--is NOT an admission that the DC Police used tear gas. And here it's important to understand both the law and court procedures: The DC Police Officers were sued and the Plaintiffs ALLEGED tear gas was used:
4/ Rather than answer the complaint (and deny using tear gas) and then allowing the lawsuit to continue, the D.C. Police Officers filed a motion to dismiss. And at the motion to dismiss stage the court MUST accept the allegations in the complaint as true:
5/ So 99% DC Police Officers' attorney did not admit tear gas was used, but instead, as the law required, proceeded as if it were true, arguing that even if true there was not constitutional violation OR if there were, it was not clearly established (i.e. qualified immunity).
6/ In fact, check out this footnote saying the allegations are unbelieveable, but okay, we'll accept them as true.
7/ Here's the D.C. Police's brief doing exactly that--assuming tear gas was used and arguing that still not a violation of the Plaintiffs' constitutional rights:
8/ Continuing & moving to qualified immunity:
9/ Now contrast the lede/Tweet versus the actual in-court quote. Did the DC Police admit using tear gas? 99% NO. But how many "journalists" will parrot the claim while mocking conservatives?
10/ Let's start with:
11/ YIKES...it appears even @JonathanTurley fell for it!!
11/ YIKES...it appears even @JonathanTurley fell for it!!
12/ Now Molly's more predictable:
13/ And this how fake news becomes an ingrained narrative:
14/ And @steve_vladeck really should know better.
15/ OMgosh....I want to scream......Stop. Just. Stop.
16/ And of course @nytimes
17/ Seriously!
18/ And Molly with a double-take:
19/ Nope.
20/ And yet it continues:
21/ ...still continuing:
22/ et cetera:
23/ Here's the Tweet with the reporter whose has the byline for the article:
24/ Yet another one:
25/ A related THREAD which corrects one point: D.C. Officials (as far as I can divine as of now), have never said they did NOT use tear gas outside Lafayette Park on June 1. I wrongly believed they had and thus had there been an admission, it would mean they had lied.
26/ But now I'm intrigued: Why have district officials REFUSED to answer that question and, if motion to dismiss is granted, will avoid being forced to answer it by a court????

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Margot Cleveland

Margot Cleveland Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ProfMJCleveland

Jun 16
Happy Father's day to DH . . . the #1 Dad to DS:
1/

2/

3/

Read 4 tweets
Jun 5
Some catch-up reading now that the Biden Administration's DOJ has authenticated the Hunter Biden laptop. 1/thefederalist.com/2023/04/24/wha…
Read 7 tweets
May 21
😡😡😡So after @howappealing highlighted this from Times yesterday, I had a friend share because I figured he wouldn't promote garage and I wanted to see if analysis was any better. But OMgosh! #$@%! 1/ nytimes.com/2024/05/20/opi…
2/ Since they are continuing to peddle garbage, now setting it on fire, here's a serious analysis of the issue. thefederalist.com/2024/05/20/i-r…
3/3 And let me end with this. Alito is not "blaming his wife." He is doing EXACTLY what the Code of Conduct requires: "Disassociating" himself from the flag.
Read 4 tweets
May 18
🚨Working on a piece for Monday @FDRLST on the fake flag scandal re Alito. Here's your shorter version: There is no scandal! I served as career law clerk for federal appellate judge for ~25 years, 6 of which I assisted with Codes of Conduct inquiries. While those rules don't 1/
2/apply to Supreme Court justices, the justices apply the same principles. The difference being there is much more detail for lower courts, including that judges are barred from displaying political signs. BUT the rules also make clear that doesn't apply to spouses.
3/ In fact, the Codes of Conduct committee made that point clear through advise. Yes, Judge should discourage, but NO Judge is not "boss" of his spouse and no ethical violation is spouse decides to post a political sign.
Read 6 tweets
May 8
🔥🔥🔥THREAD: Today a federal court in Texas granted @realDailyWire @FDRLST & @KenPaxtonTX expedited discovery in their lawsuit against the State Department & GEC, with youthful powerhouse public interest law firm @NCLAlegal representing Media Plaintiffs. 1/
2/ Press release on today's rulings is here...rulings as in plural because Court denied State Department's Motion to Dismiss the First Amendment and ultra vires claims and also Motion to Transfer. nclalegal.org/2024/05/ncla-d…
3/ Ruling on expedited discovery is here: storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.usco…
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(