Stephen Drennan Profile picture
Jun 1, 2021 8 tweets 2 min read Read on X
Everton fans on my timeline are talking about Conte.

I don't have the time to do a 'What does Inter have that Everton don't' thread too.
Meet Everton's new manager...
New Everton Manager

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Stephen Drennan

Stephen Drennan Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @babuyagu

May 13
I'll keep saying it.

From a squad building POV, Nunez is the last forward Liverpool have that the nerd team will see as a problem to solve.

His age and underlying numbers is something you look to acquire.

Forwards aged 28+, regular soft tissue injuries, declining physical
related performance metrics - they are big issues.

You are trying to find the point at which their value to you starts to dip below their cost. When their body can no longer perform at this level consistently.

Those are problems you can't give time to or solve later.
People will hate it, but I suspect the only two forwards we have that aren't up for a conversation are Gakpo and Nunez.

At just 24, 4 year deals and their full output peaks ahead of them, plus on low salaries relative to their numbers (based on numbers I seen at least) there
Read 8 tweets
Jan 26, 2023
The amount of pathetic false equivalence I am seeing from people desperate for the club to be used to wash away the blood of a genocide or civilians being disappeared or executed for being dissidents of a despotic regime is depressing.

Yes, billionaires likely aren't entirely
ethical.

No, they are not all the fucking same. People who are committing genocide, dismembering journalists, executing kids, imprisoning/murdering people for being gay - these people are worse.

I don't know how absolutely morally bankrupt and repugnant a human being you need
to be that those words need to be said to you but fuck me.

If the club is bought by a sportswashing vehicle then those midfielders you are publicly wanking yourself off for will be bought for the sole purpose of buying your goodwill and praise to wash away the blood of innocents
Read 17 tweets
Jan 24, 2023
I can only answer on the level he is at right now - but he is one of the best passers of the ball in Brazil, is exceptionally busy in games and has more to his game that simply keeping the ball but also stays behind the ball so isn't appearing in goals & assists too often.
There is a tonne of quality there. Looks a lot like Arthur before he left Brazil - and I say that as both a compliment and a warning. It is a very different style and speed of play in Europe compared to Brasileirao matches. He definitely has the talent to step up a level but
whether he can make the leap to EPL football is another question.
Read 5 tweets
Jan 24, 2023
Selling Kelleher is a good thing. I'll explain why.🧵

It says to young players that we won't hold back your career. If you break through and are ready to play and we can't clear a path into the first team for you - we won't get in your way.

But, you make the deal in a way that
we can get him back (if we want) when Ali needs to start winding down his career. And he will remember fondly the club that didn't stand in his way instead of the one that held him back, stunted his development and now carries around resentment for them.

You can't think about
players as just names on a depth chart. They are human beings with the same hierarchy of needs and wants to be satisfied as everyone else does. You have to manage that human side too.

If you always take the 'what is best for the club' approach you end up one-eyed and ignore
Read 5 tweets
Dec 1, 2022
I have two lines of thought on this.

1. He isn't because they don't profile alike. Caicedo would be a controller. A guy to eat Thiago minutes and eventually replace him. He keeps it simple in the main but can pick those dangerous passes when they are there to be played. But he
won't waste possession forcing when it isn't there either in the way maybe a Gerrard did in the past. Bellingham is the opposite, doesn't like the simple pass. If he can't hurt a team with the pass then he is going to beat someone to open up a better angle to do so. And he is
going to get ahead of the ball, get into the box and try to score goals.

It is like comparing Xabi & Gerrard. Both great players but shouldn't be on the same shopping list if you are tasking them with a specific job in midfield.

2. But we are not tasking them with a specific
Read 5 tweets
Nov 30, 2022
So, Pep Ljinders in his book talks about 'first pass forwards'. It is a rule at the club that whenever we win it back the first pass has to be forward.

It is clear at this point that England will get the ball. There are two forwards there who can anticipate and run in behind
but England don't play that way. Move off the ball? Run ahead of the ball. The fuck would you do that for?

So they just stay where they are and Hendersons attempt at a ball over the top here ends in nothing.

Should Hendo be aware having worked under Southgate that this would
happen? Probably.

Should he have controlled and turned and seen if there were any runs in that case? Maybe.

But then maybe one of the forwards should anticipate and make that run anyway. Or maybe had they done so and Hendo doesn't make that pass it wastes the opportunity.
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(