Scott MacFarlane Profile picture
Jun 2, 2021 8 tweets 3 min read Read on X
!!! WHOA

The filing just submitted in the Jan 6 prosecution of Ryan Samsel of Pennsylvania might be the most striking, horrific and brutal accusations I've read so far in *any* of these 460+ cases.

(THREAD)
Ryan Samsel had been accused of knocking over barrier & police officer on Jan 6, knocking her unconscious

Last week, Samsel requested release from DC jail, citing injuries he allegedly suffered in beating there

Check out the response from the Justice Dept to his request ==>
Prosecutors say Samsel has history of violence against women:

Accused of choking & beating his pregnant girlfriend in 2011.. Smashing hot pizza in victim's face, pouring beer over head, throwing her into canal, holding her head under

(more) ...
Feds: "In 2009, Samsel was convicted of simple assault and reckless endangerment after he held a victim
against her will for five hours, choking her to the point of unconsciousness, pushing her, beating
her, and chipping her teeth."
Feds also allege Samsel attempted to run a woman off the road in a dispute over $60 in 2006. They say he punched in her windshield and threatened he "knew where she lived"

(Feds say he was convicted)
Feds: "In 2015, Samsel was yet again convicted of simple assault...different victim.. recounting numerous assaults by Samsel, including.... at one point, he had choked her to the point of unconsciousness and that, at another point, he hit her so hard she had a hematoma"
In 2019, feds say another woman accused Samsel:

"Different victim came forward, recounting several incidents of Samsel choking her to the point of unconsciousness and breaking into her house and assaulting her. She described waking up vomiting, with him still in the house"
Samsel remains in the DC jail.... where he says he was beaten in March

I'm waiting for court to schedule a detention hearing on his request for release from custody before trial

I'll stay on this

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Scott MacFarlane

Scott MacFarlane Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @MacFarlaneNews

May 27
NEW: Trump defense asks judge to reject Jack Smith request in Florida case that Trump be restricted from statements that “pose a significant, imminent, and foreseeable danger to law enforcement agents” & deceptive claims about agents

And Trump seeks sanctions against Smith team Image
MORE: Trump's team claims Jack Smith's request amounts to "censorship" and is "unprecedented"

Full filing: storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.usco…
Trump team also references the gag orders put in place in New York and DC cases

"The Motion also treads new—extremely problematic— ground as a requested prior restraint that is different in kind from the unconstitutional gag orders that prosecutors have sought in New York and Washington, D.C."
Read 4 tweets
May 27
Justice Dept to seek 9 years prison in Jan 6 case of Mark Middleton & 7 years for Jalise Middleton

The feds' 55-page sentencing memo begins:

"Ass whoopin’ comin’” – Jalise Middleton, January 5, 2021"

(MORE) Image
Justice Dept: "Each defendant assaulted two officers from (DC police) who were defending the Capitol. Mark Middleton assaulted one of the officers with a flagpole"

They allege the pair raised money & sought fame from case, lied under oath & "bragged" of their breach at Capitol
Feds say the pair were on frontlines & that Jalise pulled an officer "by his arm over the barricades and towards the mob of rioters.. In her assaultive efforts, she was joined by Mark, who also grabbed (the officer’s) left arm and tried to pull him over the barricades"
Read 5 tweets
May 20
HOO BOY: Arraignment now in high-level Jan 6 case of John Banuelos of Illinois, who’s accused of firing gun amid mob outside Capitol

And it went off the rails… with Banuelos concluding: “Trump’s going to be back in office in 6 months, I’ve got nothing to worry about”

(MORE) Image
Banuelos appeared by video feed from jail in Chicago and blasted his appointed defense lawyers, calling them “public pretenders”, said he isn’t being well-represented. “They’re f***ing” with me, he tells judge

The judge is …. Judge Tanya Chutkan

(More)
Banuelos tells judge Chutkan, “I fear for my life over in DC”… and questions why he’s likely being transferred to DC from the jail cell in Chicago

Chutkan — multiple times — tries to explain that because the crime is alleged to have occurred in DC, Banuelos must come here
Read 9 tweets
May 17
FLASH: Paul Pelosi reveals he's still suffering dizziness, headaches, balance problems, nerve pain and walking challenges, more than a year after he was attacked inside his California home. The husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi revealed his ongoing health problems in a letter to a federal judge today, at the sentencing of David Depape, who was convicted of attacking Paul Pelosi with a hammer in October 2022
Paul Pelosi’s letter also said, “I walk slowly and have difficulty with my balance. Nearly every day I get headaches that become migraines unless quickly addressed. I need to sleep during the day and cannot tolerate bright lights or loud noises for extended periods of time.”
Nancy Pelosi has also submitted a letter to the court ahead of Depape’s sentencing. She said the attack “Filled me with great fear and deep pain. A violent man broke into our home, threatened to kidnap me and – in his own words – made my husband Paul ‘take the punishment’ in my absence with a near-fatal attack with a hammer.”
Read 4 tweets
May 10
So...

Rep Matt Gaetz (R-FL) says he was denied a prison visit to Peter Navarro.. and it’s now sparking a review of the US Bureau of Prisons by Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee

(MORE)
GOP-led Judicary Cmte has asked director of Bureau of Prisons to testify at public hearing next month, to question decision to deny recent interview/meeting between Navarro & Rep. Gaetz

Navarro is serving 4-month prison sentence at fed prison in Miami for contempt of Congress
Judiciary Committee GOP wrote, “On May 6, 2024, a member of the Committee informed the House of Representatives that you denied his request to meet with Peter Navarro, who is currently in federal custody. You allegedly denied this request because Dr. Navarro was “too notorious” to meet with a Member of Congress...."
Read 5 tweets
May 4
Justice Dept seeks a *140 months* prison in Capitol riot case of Leo Bozell, son of a prominent conservative media activist

That'd be one of the longest prison sentences issued in any Jan 6 case so far.. and the feds' argument is lengthy and striking

(MORE) Image
Justice Dept argues Bozell's case qualifies for a terrorism enhancement at sentencing, which swells the potential sentencing guidelines

storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.usco…
Prosecutors argue Bozell overran police lines, smashed open a Senate window and "After brazenly facilitating the mob’s access to the building, Bozell was in the 1st group of the rioters to enter the Capitol. He joined others in a menacing pursuit of.. (Officer) up a staircase" Image
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(