Dave Levitan Profile picture
Jun 9, 2021 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
I am not sure there is quite as much distance between "tear-gassed protesters for a photo op" and "took advantage of scheduled tear-gassing of protesters for a photo op" as some people seem to claim there is.
Also I am *intensely* curious what this redacted "request" made by what is likely a WH or Secret Service official!

assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2080…
Hm weird
The report amounts to an exoneration of the Park Police for the specific action of "clearing protesters for the president's photo op" and essentially nothing more. Fine, that's in the report's title! Pretty weird to claim it has anything to do with the other actors involved!
There is a plausible timeline where the WH learns protesters would be cleared that afternoon/evening, tries to get the USPP to speed that up (including with an unexplained "early deployment" by the Secret Service), and then Trump jumps across the street when it was cleared.
The alternative, and the full-on "exoneration" and "media failure" version of this, is that it was, what, a complete and utter coincidence?

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dave Levitan

Dave Levitan Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @davelevitan

Mar 13, 2023
The Great Salt Lake is in trouble.

So I went to another lake that the Los Angeles aqueduct dried up 100 years ago, and eventually turned into the *single largest source of dust pollution in the United States,* to find out what might be coming.

grid.news/story/climate/…
The day I visited, the air at Owens Lake was pristine. 20 years ago or so, there were days when the PM10 pollution level was more than 130 TIMES the federal limit. I asked Phill Kiddoo, the region's pollution control officer, what that would do to a person:

"Instant death." Image
The thing about the Great Salt Lake is that it is bigger than Owens Lake. Much, much bigger.

And it is rapidly drying up, and already becoming a dust source. 2.5 million people live next door. ImageImageImage
Read 14 tweets
Feb 16, 2023
NYT leadership still seems to be insisting that the GLAAD letter is the same as the contributors' letter?
Plenty of fundamental differences between them, but let's start here -- GLAAD demands, contributor demands:
A real "lying or stupid, take your pick" sort of situation
Read 4 tweets
Feb 16, 2023
A really good way to let conspiracy theories continue to proliferate is to let the EPA train derailment response page break entirely
Anyway, here's this again

grid.news/story/misinfor…
Ok EPA site is back. Here's the updated map of various monitoring -- blue dots are surface water sampling, which.... doesn't seem like enough?

response.epa.gov/site/site_prof…
Read 6 tweets
Feb 15, 2023
Russia has drained a reservoir in Ukraine, joining a tradition of using/attacking water in wars that dates to antiquity.

And climate change will make it worse.

My latest for @gridnews:

"Where demand for water exceeds water supply are places where we see more likelihood of violence associated with water.... I do believe that climate change is going to make this problem worse." -- @PeterGleick
In recent years, in particular in Yemen, there have been a number of attacks on water infrastructure that almost certainly violate the 1977 protocols of the Geneva Conventions.

grid.news/story/climate/… ImageImage
Read 5 tweets
Nov 11, 2022
Biden is speaking at #COP27 now. He started by mentioning Veterans Day and in particular special envoy for climate John Kerry.
Biden says the actions his admin has taken has put the US on track to meet its Paris Agreement goal of 50-52 percent below 2005 levels by 2030.

Which... do they? I thought we were at like 41-43 at this point...
Biden tells a quick story about his history of introducing climate legislation and then doubles down:

"The United States WILL meet our emissions targets by 2030."
Read 11 tweets
Nov 7, 2022
Draft of the 5th US National Climate Assessment, now open for comment:

"While US greenhouse gas emissions are decreasing, the current rate of decline is not sufficient to meet current national and international commitments designed to avoid the worst harms from climate change."
"US emissions remain substantial and would have to decline by more than 6% per year on average to meet current national goals of reaching net-zero emissions around 2050."
"...multiple climate hazards and cascading climate impacts are disrupting essential societal systems in every part of the country."

Me from last month re cascading/compounding climate impacts:

Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(