giorgio Profile picture
Jun 22, 2021 16 tweets 4 min read Read on X
There seems to be consensus outside of China that their success with handling Covid was due to how orderly and accepted their lockdowns were. That’s not the case. There’s a new outbreak in guangdong and attempts to lockdown parts of foshan faced a massive protest last night.
collection of videos
our demands:
1) explain the rationale for continued lockdown
2) give us an estimate for when lockdown ends
3) why is mingdu still locked down if the outbreak was only in one building and there's no new cases 2 weeks later
4) please follow foshan's epimedic control standards (?)
lot of complaints that residents have no income nor government help beyond mutual aid groups
no response after calling the new government hotlines...
"We had a riot on our side, west Huangqi under the bridge."
"Look at 25th in Fangcun, 50,000 people in Fangcun :p :p :p"
"I was wondering why there were so many SWAT cars on the road tonight"
or west loop bridge i guess
"officials repress, citizens rebel"
people are saying there was a riot but i don't see anything that indicates much beyond a large spontaneous protest. if there's footage of violence/damage i haven't seen it yet
ok, the stuff on weibo seems to be getting scrubbed now, i might take a break. i have weirdly better luck on the mobile app than the desktop site's search function for whatever reason
"When will lockdown end? Can't give an exact time? Interested in controlling comments? In this peaceful golden age how many dissatisfied voices have you covered up?"
Huangqi in Nanhai has been locked down for 17 days and the government has extended it again, just for political achievement and regardless of people's livelihoods. Ordinary people are having their work hours exploited, no income, the state has no subsidies, fucking mud horse (??)
protesting is not wrong, unblocking is rational"

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with giorgio

giorgio Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @giorgiomomurder

May 8, 2023
Been listening to old 80s Chicago house records all weekend and it’s nuts how drenched in reverb all these songs are
Conventional wisdom says don’t put reverb on a bass synth but sometimes wisdom is not so wise
Also interesting how obvious the italo and new wave influences are in the earliest stuff, way more than disco
Read 4 tweets
May 8, 2023
It would seem I already made this joke 5 times and keep forgetting
Whatever. It’s true
Read 4 tweets
Jan 8, 2023
Chongqing: reversal of zero Covid policy means that those working in related industries are now unemployed. Riots at a factory producing COVID tests over mass layoffs. twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
hard to think of more poetic way for zero covid to end than proles using covid tests as weapons against riot cops
More videos twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Read 6 tweets
Nov 22, 2022
I think people may be misreading this a tad. The point isn’t that people aren’t buying Alexas - they bought a shitload! It’s that Amazon manufactures them as a loss leader but can’t find ways to turn them into long term revenue streams, even if it spies on you.
It’s important to understand that most of Amazon‘s products and services have historically been unprofitable, and the company didn’t make consistent profits at all until AWS allowed it to truly balloon in the late 2010s. And even then its margins have always been razor thin.
The original idea behind Alexa was that if you had the ability to make impulsive purchases with just your voice enough people would do it to cover the cost of manufacture and cloud service. But of course most people just use it to play Baby Shark and not order dog food.
Read 7 tweets
Nov 22, 2022
Americans truly are psychotic when it comes to guns, huh. Not psychotic in a violently crazy way (though it often comes to that), but a more subtle refusal to accept anything beyond confirmation bias. Only country that comes close on the issue is…Brazil?
We dont even know yet if the shooter was involved in fascist politics to any real degree. Off top of my head I imagine he was like large amount of mass shooters - vaguely right wing, severely mentally ill, saw online subcultures goading him on, and surrounded by automatic guns
Read 5 tweets
Dec 20, 2021
It’s so cool when the Monkey Smashes Heaven
(Pixies voice) this Monkey’s Smashing Heaven
Fun fact a popular brand of Hunan pickled peppers (Mao’s home province) is called RED HEAVEN SMASHERS Image
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(