Professor Kalkyl Profile picture
Jun 26, 2021 25 tweets 9 min read Read on X
1/x Let me tell you about one of the moatiest businesses you've never heard of. Pour yourself a cup of coffee and let's go..☕️

🇺🇸 Copart $CPRT
- Physical economies of scale
- Digital marketplace w/ trusted brand
- Unsexy but critical niche
- Reinvestment moat, 20-30% RoIC
2/x Copart was founded in the early 80s by Willis Johnson (left), the now 73 y/o Chairman & 2nd largest shareholder, after a 10+ year career in the salvage industry. It was "bootstrapped" until the early 90s, when Willis heard that their biggest competitor $IAA should go public.
3/x Wall Street had never really entered Johnson's mind before that point, but when people told him he could expand even faster with outside funding, he figured that might be a good idea after all. The market opportunity was massive, and expansion would be expensive.
4/x So.. what does Copart do? Their niche is actually dinged up cars. As this illustration shows you, for every car accident the car owner's insurance company has to take some kind of action, and basically if the expense of fixing it is too high they auction it away on Copart.
5/x So, it's a marketplace? Yes, exactly. In the early days they tried the IAA model, to buy totalled cars from insurance companies and then auction them out themselves for profit, but soon realized that wasn't the way to go. They instead became a one-stop-shop middleman.
6/x What is needed for a marketplace business to succeed? Both huge supply and huge demand. That is hard, and that's exactly why it's such a powerful business once a dominant market position is established. Copart is by far the largest marketplace of it's kind today.
7/x The switch from buying the cars themselves to instead offer a marketplace, now with global scale because of the internet, gave both Copart and the insurance companies better unit economics. Win-win. That of course created a huge supply, which in turn increased demand.
8/x One of the key reasons behind Coparts success in my opinion is their early understanding of the internet. The spent thousands of dollar on computers when competition still used pen and paper for their car records, and was also the first car auction site with pictures online.
9/x Another key reason obviously is their *huge* investments in physical infrastructure. Copart don't just offer a digital marketplace, they offer to take care of everything surrounding the transaction (except transport in some markets, depending on where in the world you live).
10/x Just like with $AMZN, the physical part of the business just strengthens their digital offering. For Amazon, logistics and fulfillment centers created a huge advantage. $CPRT now has 200+ massive salvage yards around the world, and handle +175K auctions daily.
11/x The complexity and capital intensity of making this physical + digital network work seamlessly together is a huge barrier for competitors. It's obviously impossible to verify, but I definitely think Buffett's classic quote on $KO would be applicable on $CPRT as well.
12/x I really liked the Disneyland framework that Willis wrote about in Junk to Gold, which basically explains what all fantastic companies do over time; create a bunch of different revenue streams on top of their core business. Makes me think of names like $BABA, $AMZN & $GOOG.
13/x And much like $COST, Copart started out in the US (and still have the majority of their sales domestically >80%, although this includes exports) but are now leveraging their volume/cost advantage by taking on the world. To date, they have 8500+ acres of land in 11 countries.
14/x I'll keep this thread a little light on details, but studying the underlying market trends for Copart one can see a clear upward trend in stuff like 1) vehicle complexity, which means more expensive repairs, 2) miles driven and 3) overall total loss frequency.
15/x The trend towards more semi-self driving cars will probably also increase collisions as well during the learning period (next 10+ years?), and it's obviously a *long* time (most likely decades) before a zero collision environment with Level 5 autonomy is a global reality.
16/x So, what do we have here? A dominant digital marketplace business in a complex niche where volume (i.e. revenue) is driven by both underlying talwinds and customer satisfaction, who've spent more on physical infrastructure the last 5 years, than the previous 21.
17/x $CPRT has been running a conservative shop all it's business life, with Willis in the driver's seat and his son-in-law Jay Adair by his side since 1989, when he was 19. Jay himself became CEO in 2010 and has maintained the same philosophy, despite investing aggressively.
18/x The conservative yet long-term oriented capital allocation has led to a fantastic per share performance, with revenues growing 12x and earnings 22.5x the last 20 years. The number of shares has decreased -36% during the same period because of buybacks.
19/x The last year and a half has been exceptional margin wise, and that is basically because $CPRT haven't been able to put enough capital to work. Just like with $NFLX, the pandemic gave us a glimpse of how profitable a "steady state" might be without constant reinvestments.
20/x As a long-term shareholder it's hard to argue against constant reinvestments when the returns on capital look like this👇🏼 Perhaps the buybacks might be arguable, I haven't put much thought into that tbh. Either way, this is a world class business by any metric.
21/x Another quality stamp is that Willis and Jay still own a fairly large chunk of the company together, despite $CPRT market cap of >$30B. From what I know there's also lots of board members, C levels and lower ranked executives in the org. that own sizeable personal chunks.
22/x So.. what about valuation? Looking at NTM, consensus says 65x Free Cash Flow. Sounds frothy? FCF is expected to drop 25-30% y/y because of Copart putting lots of capital to work again. So that might not be a great multiple to look at. Instead, looking at EV/EBIT, it's 25x.
23/x Let's assume $CPRT stopped reinvesting their cash flows right now & optimized for profitability, I imagine they could do an easy >35% FCF. And with the 10-15% expected growth rate we are fairly soon down to a single digit FCF multiple. The same applies to GAAP EV/EBIT..
24/x i think the competitive characteristics of $CPRT demands a much higher multiple. I mean they are basically impossible to stop, and the increase in volume will just keep pushing up margins over time. I feel the moat here is misunderstood and/or underestimated.
25/x Despite being a >200-bagger since IPO, I think $CPRT has lots of multibagger potential over the next decade aswell. What made me look closer was the fact that both @SvnCapital & @chriswmayer own shares, who I respect a lot. All three of us also have $EVO as a large position.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Professor Kalkyl

Professor Kalkyl Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Prof_Kalkyl

Jan 1, 2023
Rivstartar 2023 med en casetråd! Här kommer några bolag från bevakningslistan. Blandad kompott.

1. 🇫🇮 $MEKKO - Anrikt finskt designhus som på senare år rört sig åt luxury, vilket drivit både top & bottom line. Moderisk? 10x FCF 24E.

7y CAGRs
Revenue +8%
EBIT +54%
ROIC (avg) 57%
2. 🇳🇴 $EPR - Norska lågprisjätten, som förvisso "alltid" sett billig ut, handlas nu enligt konsensus till ~9x FCF två år ut. Borde väl vara boom time för denna typen av biz framöver? Knäckfrågan är väl marginalen.

7y CAGRs
Revenue +10%
EBIT +16%
ROIC (avg) 22%
3. 🇨🇦 $ATZ.TO - "Everyday luxury" för kvinnor. Kallas ibland för "Kanadas Lululemon". Fin lönsam tillväxthistorik. Välskött. Grundaren är ordförande & storägare. VD har varit i bolaget 35 år. Svårbedömd moderisk. 13x EBIT FY25E.

7y CAGRs
Revenue +19%
EBIT +26%
ROIC (avg) 19%
Read 14 tweets
Sep 4, 2022
1/ Det har nu gått snart två år sedan dagen jag fick se denna fula skissen för första gången, och lite drygt ett år sedan jag lade plåtverktygen på hyllan.

Här kommer en lång tråd som går lite behind the scenes på @Quartr_App 👇🏼
2/ Let’s set the stage med en låt. Dra på denna innan du fortsätter läsa, för den ultimata upplevelsen 🎧 open.spotify.com/track/0dVOO1yF…
3/ Här är mitt första DM från @stock_trap. Vid denna tiden var vi båda helt anonyma, och Sami blev en av de absolut första från FinTwit som jag connectade med IRL.

Jag fick efter några dagars chattande en fet pitch över Zoom och blev såld. I’m in!
Read 25 tweets
Jul 14, 2022
Here’s my Quality Universe. A large collection of great businesses.

After today’s update it’s ~250 companies from 15 markets 🌎
I don’t have a hard definition for quality though, but I look at ROIC/ROE, margins, network effects, switching costs, brand strength, longevity, market share, scale/cost advantages, management, etc. The usual suspects.

Text version A-M:
Text version M-Z:
Read 4 tweets
Jun 26, 2022
1/ In 1984, marking the 50th anniversary of Graham & Dodd's release of 'Security Analysis', Buffett gave a great speech at Columbia Business School about the core principles of value investing.

These principles are as relevant today as in 1934, just as Buffett predicted.
2/ The death of security analysis..? Buffett's speech was sort of an opposing response to Michael Jensen's (a University of Rochester professor) speech about the efficient-market hypothesis, which he gave the same day.
3/ The coin toss metaphor at the beginning of the speech was actually stolen from Jensen, but Buffett added a little twist.
Read 18 tweets
Mar 12, 2022
1/ Vad kollar ni på för case just nu? Jag har tyvärr varit lite dålig på att göra ny research på senare tid, men vid första anblick i bevakningslistorna ser många namn intressanta ut. Här kommer en tråd med några halvbakta idéer.
2/ $RICK handlas nu i buyback territory, ~15x FCF eller P/E 10. Känns som bra value mtp bolagets fina kapitalallokering de senaste åren och deras growth runway. Borde kunna växa 15-20% ett tag till. Förvisso en hairy bransch samt några gamla plumpar i mgmts historik, men likväl.
3/ $MNST är nu nere på Covid-nivåer, dvs <20x EBIT, trots att man är en av två överlägsna spelare i en nisch som väntas CAGRa 7-10% kommande 5 år. Monster är stora, men de omsätter "bara" ~$6b mot $KO's nästan $40b. Inte snorbilligt, men en konservativ biz av mkt hög kvalitet.
Read 19 tweets
Feb 9, 2022
$EVO Q4'21 👀

Revenue +69%
*N. America +168%
*Asia +117%
*Live +49%
*RNG +9%
*BTG +45%
EBITDA +115%
*marg. 68.9% (65.1)
EBIT +118%
*marg. 61.5% (47.8)
Net Profit +113%
*marg. 57.1% (45.4)
EPS +90%
Geo split;
Business as usual på EBITDA-nivå även 2022
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(